What's this? Mystery thing on my bike..

Guest Britcheflee

You guys took all the good guesses...so I'll say "flux capaciter". :P k

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Britcheflee

Man, I have to come up with something like this - maybe a small thing you put on the front of your bike which makes the oncoming cars dip their lights.....99.9% of the time they do that anyway so the people who buy it would be convinced the thing works!!!!

lee

Man, I have to come up with something like this - maybe a small thing you put on the front of your bike which makes the oncoming cars dip their lights.....99.9% of the time they do that anyway so the people who buy it would be convinced the thing works!!!!  

lee

62527[/snapback]

Try bottling water – same idea. And yes, people are bottling plain old air now (from the top of a mountain say, or somewhere with sentimental value) and selling it.

If you're going to cable tie something useful to your bike, make it a lunch box for your bacon buttie.

Er, so how fast do I need to be going to go back to the future?

62494[/snapback]

88mph...that's 93 mph on my super accurate Veglia. :grin: k

Any idea what this is?  (see pic) it is attached by a plastic tie and slides up and down the bar it is attached to - no wires going to it and no markings on it?  What is it?    :huh2:

Lee

62445[/snapback]

I would guess that it's proximity to the exhaust (excess heat) would render it ineffective.

Just kidding :P

I would guess that it's proximity to the exhaust (excess heat) would render it ineffective.

Just kidding :P

62570[/snapback]

I bought one at my local BMW shop. It's a magnet and not a spectacularly good one at that. Heat is less likely to diminish its effects than vibration. Either way, it isn't likely to have much of an effect on whether vehicle detector loops acknowledge the presence of a motorcycle.

You'd need a hell of a magnetic field to trigger a traffic light-a permanant magnet is too small to fit and the charging system on the V11 won't support the requirements for an electromagnet.

Now, if you want something that absolutely works, build a high output IR flasher (~100 Hz).  It's probably illegal, but it uses the detectors that emergency vehicles use to trigger lights.  They use very little power since you can make them from a pad of LED's.  If you want a circuit diagram, let me know.

62472[/snapback]

Yep, you can buy those today... the light "trippers".

But yes, they are illegal. As you mention, they are designed to let emergency vehicles trip red lights to green as they approach, but they work just as well if a civilian bolts one to their dash <_>

In fact, their use on non-emergency vehicles got so bad in California that some cities had to upgrade their systems(spend big $$) to scramble the code required to flash the sensors, as all the civilians using their versions were negating traffic flow engineering and any advantage for the emergency vehicles they were designed to support :bbblll:

al

There are two small vials in there, one containing holy water, one containing snake oil, and a splinter of the true cross in the green special edition ones.