California does it again

callison

It makes me wonder though how H-D gets passed all the tests.  The Motor Company sells their bikes world-wide without to much of a problem complying even with the Euro2 to 3 regulations.  H-D uses push-rods on their engines, no?  And the same for some of the Jap-4 cruisers too?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the push-rod stuff.

62789[/snapback]

Harley have had a big bollocking from the guys who enforce standards in the USA (you will know what they are called). They have clicked onto the fact that hardly any new HD leaves the showroom in standard condition- most have a stage one tune for obvious reasons, including louder pipes.

HD are under threat of a big fine and are therefore encouraging dealers to let them out of the showroom as standard and pretending there is no EFI remap for stage one tuned 2006 bikes.

I was talking to a dealer in Manchester UK who says they are not fitting race kits to the new model Buells because they are afraid of a similar backlash from the Eurocrats.

I can guess its only a matter of time before we are all clamped down on and made to follow the letter of the law when it comes to noise and emissions.

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you define "freedom"?

KB :sun:

62811[/snapback]

You asked that question in the right place, Baldini. – A motorbike Forum. So the answer's easy. Here you go:

stone2lge.jpg

Now if you had asked in, say, alt.philosophy, you could have been in a bit of bother.

I can guess its only a matter of time before we are all clamped down on and made to follow the letter of the law when it comes to noise and emissions.

Guy  :helmet:

62819[/snapback]

Motorcycles make up only a tiny proportion of vehicles on the road, and an even smaller proportion by miles travelled. The proportion of the motorcycle "operating stock" in the country that comprises modern emission controlled bikes that have been race kitted is an infinitesimal proportion. Probably one badly adjusted London bus emits more shit in one day that the extra shit emitted by all the race kitted Buells in the whole of England in 20 years.

I can't see it getting on the radar of either the UK govt or the tossers in Brussels. The environmental benefit to be gained from tightening enforcement doesn't exist. They would be far better hitting the over 10 year old car stock which would make a real difference.

I can see a crackdown on loud cans, and lets face it, we have brought that upon ourselves to be fair, but I can't see tight emissions testing for motorcycles post sale on the radar at all.

Mind you, the same thing happens in other areas. November the 5th emits way more dioxin every year than the whole of the UK incineration portfolio! Should we ban bonfire night on environmental and safety grounds.... I think so! :homer:

Is someone out of camera shot about to wee on her?

62824[/snapback]

Wrong forum. Try searching for "scat" or "watersports"

Is someone out of camera shot about to wee on her?

62824[/snapback]

Questions, questions.

You need an answer? Try here: alt.philosophy

Questions, questions.

You need an answer? Try here:  alt.philosophy

62826[/snapback]

But the human condition is that there are always more questions than answers, and to every complex question there is a simple answer....... the wrong answer.

Motorcycles make up only a tiny proportion of vehicles on the road, and an even smaller proportion by miles travelled. The proportion of the motorcycle "operating stock" in the country that comprises modern emission controlled bikes that have been race kitted is an infinitesimal proportion. Probably one badly adjusted London bus emits more shit in one day that the extra shit emitted by all the race kitted Buells in the whole of England in 20 years.

I can't see it getting on the radar of either the UK govt or the tossers in Brussels. The environmental benefit to be gained from tightening enforcement doesn't exist. They would be far better hitting the over 10 year old car stock which would make a real difference.

I can see a crackdown on loud cans, and lets face it, we have brought that upon ourselves to be fair, but I can't see tight emissions testing for motorcycles post sale on the radar at all.

Mind you, the same thing happens in other areas. November the 5th emits way more dioxin every year than the whole of the UK incineration portfolio! Should we ban bonfire night on environmental and safety grounds.... I think so!  :homer:

62823[/snapback]

I agree that motorcyles are a very small problem when it comes to noise and emissions- one Jumbo Jet probably out pollutes all the bikes ridden in one day in the UK.

Trouble is we are on the EEC radar for many things- they have it in for bikes- you may have read about the new licensing proposals and the theory that all bikes should be banned by 2015 being considered. With regards to emissions, they have already clamped down on cars- try getting a car through an MOT if the CAT is not working.

Ok some of these anti-bike proposals may not happen but I urge all UK riders to join MAG- they may have an outdated image of crusty beardy bikers but they are an extremely effective lobbying group who link up well with other similar groups in Europe to fight anti bike legislation and have helped fight off many a black cloud on the horizon (remember leg protectors?).

If we sit back and think it wont happen to us then it will happen.

The banning of bikes by 2015 was a piece of specious scaremongering based on the comments of one Swedish safety iconoclast. Total crap.

But I agree, freedom is under threat here. We have to stymie the EU if we possibly can.

Psst... anyone want to buy some raffle tickets in support of the Tory Party?

Psst... anyone want to buy some raffle tickets in support of the Tory Party?

62834[/snapback]

Ummmm...they are not very popular around here- Harold Wilson came from these parts.

The right wingers tend to go for the BNP instead.

A raffle for Monster Raving Loony would go down well though.