Should I buy an old v50?

rocketman

Fellow Moto Guzzi enthusiests I need some advice. Out of the blue a local woman calls me and she has a 1980 v50 she wants to sell me for $300.00. Not being that familiar with the model I jump online and do a little research. My first thought is, too bad it's not a Monza, but it's not bad looking. So I go have a look see. The bike has 47,000 miles. It's all there except the front headlight (relaced by big windjammer fairing). Not too beat up but lots of corosion. Newer bub pipes and tires. She has all the service/repair receipts, and service manual, from the previous owner. Frame has alot of rust. Doesn't run. Apparently it has been stored inside. Should I bother with it? Originally I was thinking it might make a good hack. Save some wear and tear on the Lemans. It could also be a black hole for money. Maybe it's worth buying and parting out. Don't know if I should even drag it home. What do you guys think?

Rocketman

Given the choice of an older "small block", the V50 is a much better engine. The V65 had issues with not enough oil to the bottom end. Actually the V50 is a little sweetheart, I've had a chance to ride one many times. The only thing you have to deal with is old Italian switchgear, which can be easily replaced with something else if it is to be just a runner.

If you don't want to turn it into a money pit, just don't. The small blocks will never be collectible, so forget the rusty frame. Clean the carbs, tune up and battery, away you go.

$300? You better not tell me where it is.

Ciao, Steve G.

Definitely get it. Your wife / girlfriend can ride it if you don't. These are meant to be quite good for the shorter rider.

The only downside I have heard is that the valves tend to drop their heads around 50K miles, so if you intend to use it I would change the valves.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys. I will go back and have another look at the bike. If I do buy it I hope it is a simple matter of new battery, clean carbs and ride. I hope it's not steering head bearings, final drive repair, transmission repair, fork seals, brakes, suspension, etc., and then ride. If it gets too extensive I will just sell it as is. I know I can at least get it running. Won't really know the whole story until I can ride it.

Rocketman

You may have to replace anything made of old rubber if its been sitting a long time. Other than that the bearings etc, should be as good as any other bike with 47k miles on it. It shouldnt be too hard to get started to assess the condition of the drivetrain. Besides its only $300, how else are you going to have that much fun tinkering with an old bike for that cheap? Once its running you can sell it in may for $750 if it cleans up halfway good. I wouldnt mind having something like that to stick in my basement to learn how to work on.

Aww, what the hell. Get it!!!!!!!

Mine is a wheelie machine that's great for urban adventures. Schoolchildren cover their ears and wince.

Get it. If you decide it's not worth fixing, paint it -- and you've got a magnificent piece of industrial art!!!!!!!!!!!

F

Stopped by and had a closer look at the $300.00 v50. It is a v50 11. Don't really know the difference. I guess it's newer than a v50. I bounced up and down on it. Suspension is iffy (duh). Fork seals are leaking. Was able to work it through 1st, 2nd, and I think I got it into 3rd. Clutch and throttle appear to work. Linked brakes, the rear brake pedal actually activates the stoppers. Front brake lever didn't do anything. Tires look they were replaced before it was parked. Rubber bits are shot. Side covers are broke. Engine oil hose underneath is broke so it has lost almost all the engine oil. Looks like it has never been crashed. Handle bars, levers, and rear turn signals are not bent. Pretty cool actually. I told her I had to chew on it some more. I am leaning toward buying it.

Rocketman

Just say no. Thanks Callison! I appreciate everyone's input. I am not going to buy the bike. Too much time and effort. If anyone is interested let me know and I will give you the lady's phone number. It's in Salem Ore.

Rocketman