02 Scura

tomsp

looking fo some feedback on 02 Scura's. Besides the Ohlins, how else are they different from an 02 v11 sport? What are their "issues" :D . Looking for a critique I guess - strong and weak points....

thanks... I'm really trying to keep with guzzi and am looking furiously :bike:

looking fo some feedback on 02 Scura's. 

thanks...  I'm really trying to keep with guzzi and am looking furiously :bike:

63940[/snapback]

I can't :angry: keep up with KB on his :D

I think with the single plate clutch they might spin up quicker and the Ohlins suspension , but they're all really very simular. I think the bigest issue would be your requirements re the fairing and bar layout, and then the suspension to determine which varient to go for

I have a Rosso Mandello wich has the same clutch as a Scura. 8000 miles & no problems yet, I even have grown to like the rattle sound in nuetral. I've never used the double plate clutch but I wouldnt switch to it just because there were about 5 bad ones in the whole bunch. I'll bet someone just dropped the box they came in at the factory & used them anyway lol. It should be a great v11 with the ohlins suspension. If you want wind protection get a Lemans. The fairings are too expensive to buy seperately.

Nearly 16K miles on 02 Scura. Going strong.

Problems in common with other 02 V11's: Pawl arm spring/boss changed, short r wheel brng spacer. Nothin else much gone wrong. Engin/trans paint still good.

There have been incidents reported here with flywheel breakages. Cause unknown, could be bad design, manufacture, materials or assembly (factory/dealer/owner?). Mine still works well. Haven't ridden one of the twin plate V11's, but compared to the old Tontis it revs well & drive is very direct. Noisy, but always was. I've seen evidence on this site of I think 4 broken single plates - out of something like 1,500?

Ohlins work well, & are very nicely made. Take some setting up & for anyone of average wt come w/too soft springs. Cost just over £100 for new springs & huge improvement. Also think the shock is too stiff on high speed damping needs a rebuild to sort. Vast range of meaningful adjustment means you can tune it to exactly what you want but also that it can be way off right too. Also I'm on 3rd set of fork seals tho this is apparently not common. Shock is slightly longer than std v11 raises rear end a little (good thing).

Ohlins steering damper works great. Again each notch on the adjuster you can feel the difference.

Nose fairing works well in knocking off some of the blast up to about a ton. Good enough for what I need. If you do a lot of 100+ cruising you might want something more.

Guess I'm lucky - paint on mine is still excellent.

Prices here for v11's are low. For me the Scura was the best looking of the bunch & the Ohlins sealed it. But the new generation bikes (Griso/Breva) are a step beyond (esp gearbox & rear end - s/a & suspension).

Good luck,

KB :sun:

Tom

I think you should get the Brutale..  and let me ride it.

Just a suggestion

Cheers, Tim

63999[/snapback]

DON'T FORGET THE SCURA OWNERS REGISTER IS STILL BUILDING EMAIL YOUR NUMBER AND LOCATION TO macguzzi98@yahoo.com

looking fo some feedback on 02 Scura's.  Besides the Ohlins, how else are they different from an 02 v11 sport?  What are their "issues" :D .  Looking for a critique I guess - strong and weak points....

thanks...  I'm really trying to keep with guzzi and am looking furiously :bike:

63940[/snapback]

I found this brand new Scura, deeply discounted, on cycletrader, just a day after I bought my LeMans. I don't know how many new Scuras are left over here, but if you want a new one you have to take action fast. I've seen several used Scuras for the same price as this brand new one.

Tom

I think you should get the Brutale..  and let me ride it.

Just a suggestion

Cheers, Tim

63999[/snapback]

I believe there's a 910 Brutale in my future....... :food:

KB is hereby known forever more as the SAGE OF SCURA I Never seem to have anything to add after he holds forth on the black beauty............... :D

:2c: did ride today with 02 scura,01 rosso mandello. ? scura rider states scura has lighter flywheel than rosso,? [true or false] :rasta:

64125[/snapback]

Well, so far as I am aware they should both have a similar clutch.

Did you ride both, did they seem comparable?

Apart from the sharpness of pick up a single plate assembly rattles with clutch engaged in neutral ( transmission backlash rattle) and the twin plate when the clutch is disengaged ( clutch rattle ).

Nige. B)