cold weather riding in a guzzi BRRRRRR

fernando

i was getting ready to go riding today ,conn. to vermont and back in 2 days when the weather forecast alerted my brain to something that happened to me last spring ...........

i was riding with my electric gloves ,vest ,socks and pants ,when after 1 1/2 hour of riding my speedometer needle started to jump up and down everytime that i applied the brakes or the signal lights.......

to make the story short.................i ran out of battery .

after posting my situation here i was educated by many of you to the fact that the guzzi has a very poor charging system,and further that a larger size alternator would not fit into the space occupied by my existing alternator.

so, i canceled the trip.

and tomorrow morning i am going for a short 10 hour ride from conn. to the catskills in new york state and back. the temperature will be 40 f in the am and 60f in the pm which i can handle with my non electric gear.

but, i am used to riding my 1982 r100rs with full electrics and never a problem.

now, this is a 1982 bike vs. a 2002 guzzi.

what is the problem with this picture.

i am used to riding in 5 degrees f all day in my r100rs and in the guzzi i cannot even think about it. granted the beemer has a better fairing and offers more protection. still i expected better than this when i got my teni.

by the way ,does any of you know how much i can get for my teni with 15,000 miles and an excellent servicing record ??

and were is the best place to sell it ?

thank you

I wear warm clothes. I have not used electrics (although it sounds nice!) so I didn't know there was a problem.

Why not buy a winter bike - one that it doesn't matter if you fall down on an icy road. I can't see it being cold enough to need all that wiring when the roads are not ice. Electric gloves would be nice though!

I'm sure there will be lots of posts why you should not sell your Tenni but I hope you do what you feel is best and are happy!

Hey!

I just did the catski8lls last W/E....brrrrrrr

North /South Lake

Not bad on the way out but sub 40s and raining Sat mornin'

No electrics....Got a set of Gauntlets/Hippo hands on my LeMans

Slapped some Duct tape on the Gauntlets for waterproofing on the leading

edges...

Was with 4 Late model beemers...all electric everything...including

seats...we all enjoyed the ride..never went above 40deg and poured this side of Htfrd.

My hands are super sensitive to the cold and though I prefer electric grips

the gauntlets got me through fine. I didn't want to screw with the Guzzi charging sys.

on such short notice. The gauntlets were even better than heated grips///my hands stayed perfectly DRY.!!! mmmmm...nice. Other than that I was in sweater, windbreaker,

leather.chaps and Frog Togs.!!! We all Frogg Togg...even those of us with $$$ Tex stuff.

The Frog is unbeliveable....looks like paper towels...works like tupper ware...breathes like cotton...miricle stuff.

heading out tomorrow....

Don't know where yet....

Victim

Westerly

. . . but, i am used to riding my 1982 r100rs with full electrics and never a problem.

. . .

65235[/snapback]

You forget . . . your 2002 guzzi is built with 1921 technology! :homer:

Yeah at 350watts the Guzzi is down on output compared to the BMW. Hey, but they are from south of the Alps!

Last season I noticed my lights dimming when the electrics cycled on ( Gerbings jacket and gloves - 99 watts/8 amps). Not long later I found the regulator had given it up (250 USD).

You don't suppose the additional draw would actually hurt the regulator? :huh2:

i was getting ready to go riding today ,conn. to vermont and back in 2 days when the weather forecast alerted my brain to something that happened to me last spring ...........

i was riding with my electric gloves ,vest ,socks and pants ,when after 1 1/2 hour of riding my speedometer needle started to jump up and down everytime that i applied the brakes or the signal lights.......

after posting my situation here i was educated by many of you to the fact that the guzzi has a very poor charging system,and further that a larger size alternator would not fit into the space occupied by my existing alternator.

so, i canceled the trip.

and tomorrow morning i am going for a short 10 hour ride from conn. to the catskills in new york state and back. the temperature will be 40 f in the am and 60f in the pm which i can handle with my non electric gear.

but, i am used to riding my 1982 r100rs with full electrics and never a problem.

i am used to riding in 5 degrees f all day in my r100rs and in the guzzi i cannot even think about it. granted the beemer has a better fairing and offers more protection. still i expected better than this when i got my teni.

by the way ,does any of you know how much i can get for my teni with 15,000 miles and an excellent servicing record ??

and were is the best place to sell it  ?

thank you

65235[/snapback]

The R100RS, like all post 1980 airheads, have a 300 watt alternator. You can get a Thunderchild diode board etc, to upgrade to much higher. The reason is the 6 speed gearbox on the V11 series is a low revving drivetrain, and the capacity is the Marelli system works progressively. If you had taken it out of that "essentially overdrive" 6th, it would have kept up. Couple that with the fact the fairing on the old RS is perhaps the best protection fairing made.

Of course, you could sell it. Unfortunately, because of the low output alternator these machines have, their resale value has been affected, so your Tenni is not worth much. I'd be happy to take the burden off of you :lol::lol:

Ciao, Steve G.

P.S., I too am quite upset when it gets cold, and I get cold easy. My hands are the worst, because of my work, I have developed 'white hand', which means my hands get cold even in the hot summer. But, I have finally found gloves that work. They are BMW Winter. The best yet by far.

As far as power output, the charging system on my V11 is easily capable of keeping up with my electric vest, and keeping the core warm is the most important.

:2c: SELL HERE! for $10.000 aus dollars delivered please. :rasta:

so, i canceled the trip.

thank you

65235[/snapback]

thank you

65235[/snapback]

I ride year 'round, but that is no challenge in Atlanta compared to your part of the world. I also use electrics on both EV and--if I find the right warmish day--the Ballabio, tho the former, with its barn-door w/s, is my commuting and fun-ride choice from Dec thru Feb.

As for electrics, tho, I have worried about stressing the system, but have encountered no evidence of that. I am still running original battery in EV, a 98 I bought new as a leftover in Aug 2000.

My wife just stunned me with a "When the Breva 1100 gets ABS, I think you should buy one" statement, but I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that the output will be higher than present Guzzis. Hope so. I can't give up any of my present harem, so I will have a 3-ship battle fleet. Yippee. :mg::race:

As for Tenni question, fernando, think spring. What could be sweeter than a knee nearly down mounted on a V11 on back road in New England? Let me answer that ... very little ... mounted that way, at least. ;):D

Hope you are having a fine ride this day. I am straightening the GarageMahalo after painting the floor, but envy you. OTOH, I should have a few more great riding days left in 2005 and early next year. Savor yours.

Bill

I ride year 'round, but that is no challenge in Atlanta compared to your part of the world.  I also use electrics on both EV and--if I find the right warmish day--the Ballabio, tho the former, with its barn-door w/s, is my commuting and fun-ride choice from Dec thru Feb.

As for electrics, tho, I have worried about stressing the system, but have encountered no evidence of that. I am still running original battery in EV, a 98 I bought new as a leftover in Aug 2000.

My wife just stunned me with a "When the Breva 1100 gets ABS, I think you should buy one" statement, but I understand, perhaps incorrectly, that the output will be higher than present Guzzis.  Hope so.  I can't give up any of my present harem, so I will have a 3-ship battle fleet.  Yippee.    :mg:  :race:

As for Tenni question, fernando, think spring.  What could be sweeter than a knee nearly down mounted on a V11 on back road in New England?  Let me answer that ... very little ... mounted that way, at least.  ;)  :D

Hope you are having a fine ride this day.  I am straightening the GarageMahalo after painting the floor, but envy you.  OTOH, I should have a few more great riding days left in 2005 and early next year.  Savor yours.

Bill

65277[/snapback]

Dont forget the new Breva's alternator is mounted between the cylinders, or under the tank if you prefer. I'll bet you can upgrade that one if need be.

Dont forget the new Breva's alternator is mounted between the cylinders, or under the tank if you prefer. I'll bet you can upgrade that one if need be.

65278[/snapback]

The main advantage of this layout is that the alternator shaft can be geared to spin faster than the engine. Just like a car.

Well, maybe it spins faster, but it's also just better. I put an aftermarket alternator on my Eldorado, courtesy of Greg Field, that curiously looks exactly like what is going to be fitted to the Breva. 600 watts, baby! I can't quite run the arc welder, but almost anything short of that is ok. But, the only electric equipment I have are a pair of Widder gloves. Fernando- get an aerostich suit (expensive, but worth it) and wear a fuzzy fleece pullover under it. I've had that for 4 years now, and I can (3-4 hours) ride in anything warmer than -5 F, and an hour or so at -15 F.

My hands (the right one) is sensitve 'cause it has a lot of scar tissue on and in it. Stupid oil field...

I put an aftermarket alternator on my Eldorado, courtesy of Greg Field, that curiously looks exactly like what is going to be fitted to the Breva.  600 watts, baby!  I can't quite run the arc welder,

65347[/snapback]

As long as it will run one of theseNMN4947_mp.jpg

well,

i went out today for a short ride . was unable to do the full catskills trip due to an appointment in the pm.

we left at 6:30 am and got back home at 1 pm and the weather was ok .

41 f in the am and 60 at noon.

wore many layers and all ok. the gerbing vest and gloves are great even when not plugged in at 40 f.and 80 mph.

i was told by a guzzi owner that i can in fact plug in the vest provided i keep my rpm's at 5,000 .

and that guzzi is great. rode with 2 guys on brand new bmw r1200rt's. great bikes .

the guzzi is just very special. at the bear mountain overlook i ran into a rider on a guzzi ,i think it was an 850 ???

anyhow he mentioned a web site by the name of euro electric ?? that does updates to our bikes's charging systems.

will look into this before i jump inot another bike.