Speedo stoped (on new bike)

dangerous

Hmmm..... looks like I have my 1st warrante claim, the speedo on my V11 LeMans has stoped... the bike has done 1573km in the last month.

Is this a common fault? or a one of? I am expecting the cable has broken, but then knowing my luck the drive in the box proberly fell off :(

Hmmm..... looks like I have my 1st warrante claim, the speedo on my V11 LeMans has stoped... the bike has done 1573km in the last month.

Is this a common fault? or a one of? I am expecting the cable has broken, but then knowing my luck the drive in the box proberly fell off :(

65678[/snapback]

I went through three cables on my Rosso Corsa before the dealer agreed to retrofit the old style 2 piece cable which has been reliable ever since. My bike shows about 6000 miles when in reality it has done about 12500.

Basicaly for cost cutting reasons Guzzi changed the design of speedo cables in 2003 to a one piece cable. This normally breaks very quickly- probably cos it has a kink in it to make it fit.

I would not fart about replacing it with the new style cable- have a good chat with your dealer and get the old style parts fitted.

Guy :helmet:

A friend of mine also went through three cables on his Rosso Corsa before finding out the problem was at the speedometer end.

Not sure what the exact fault was but he didn't have to change the speedo.

Check both ends!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My 2001 Rosso Mandello is on its third speedo. The cables have been fine; it's the speedo itself that has failed. The first one lasted about 4500 miles and was replaced under warrenty. The second one lasted also less than 5000 miles and was replaced with a unit that I found on ebay. The third one is working well (so far) with about 3000 miles on it. I looked into getting the busted one serviced and was not successful in finding anyone in the US that could get spare parts from Veglia. I'm sure what part of the device is failing internally. Prior to the units dying, they both got real erratic between 60 and 80 mph.

OK, I'm vague on the instrument change. The white faced Veglia ( I,ve replaced each of mine once) were 1999- ? - '02?

Then came the "IPI" or some - such? And the dubiuos bevel drives went away which was good until the cable set-up changed when?

Whew! Makes me dizzy. I'm going after more Laphroig while you guys straighten this out. :drink:

I'm going after more Laphroig while you guys straighten this out. :drink:

66849[/snapback]

Man... you have some fine Scotch tast buds there, Laphroig yummie I'm sinking a Talisker at the mo :bier:

Ok... it was the cable at the bottom end, it was replaced under warante with a differant cable... it dosent have the right angle bend in it as it exits the gear box. :race:

• 3 weeks later...

65678[/snapback]

I've been through two :bbblll: and a cable

65678[/snapback]

Things like this can be all over the map. There is a good thread on Speedo cables on the forum. I happened to read it not long after getting my bike new. I think key to improving cable life is reducing the amount of bend in the elbow coming out of the trans. Now I have 14,700 miles, and both the speedo and cable are going great. (Of course I've jinxed it now...) :D