Scura Clutch

Baldini

Another Scura eaten it's flywheel. Not mine. Fortunately no damage to cases or rider I don't think.

I know the bike. It's not been thrashed & not been apart since new.

I'm going to take mine apart this winter to check for flywheel cracks. I will probably replace it with a RAM unit. (It is still unclear wether the original unit is manufactured by RAM for Guzzi, but either way it seems to have a different spec to the aftermarket item they supply for the V11).

Cause of the failures (six or seven detailed here?) still unclear.

Get no interest out of Guzzi customer care. Out of warranty anyhow. Just concerned I front the expense then they go do a recall. But from what I can gather there's no talk of that & failure remains a rare occurence. However it can be so catastrophic that I no longer feel comfortable taking the chance.

KB :sun:

S_Flywheel_break.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I know this flywheel...in fact its mine :angry:

I was on a weeks break with some others in the Pyrenees, however as we were about 20 miles from our destination I got the feeling (and the "sound") that everything was not well. I managed to limp slowly to my destination where the bike still remains today in Jaca, Northern Spain.

We are awaiting delivery of a new RAM clutch and oil seal to reassemble the bike at which time I will fly back to drive the bike home.

You may not be aware but my scura was, from new, officially the noisyest clutch in Guzzidom. It finally departed this world at the most opportune moment being furthest from home and leaving me stranded with no possibility of quick repair. The bike has done about 32,000 Kms (19,200 miles) from new and will on its return home reside in a corner of shame while I ride my centauro.

I will enjoy my return to Spain and dash north to Cherbourg in due course. :2c:

john,

were the bolts in the center still tight or not at all? The idea is that slowly these centerbolts come a bit loose, and then the end is near.

I think this is at least nr 10 I know, but I lost count a bit.

65779[/snapback]

Paul,

I don't know if the bolts were tight or not as I was home when the engine was opened however I'll ask when I see the mechanic in Spain. I got no warning as the run from La Rochelle to Jaca in northern Spain was done in one run with only a fuel stop at which time I noticed the "noise".

There is no doubt that the clutch was indeed exceptionally clattery. Can you remind us, John, if it was always so noisey – from new?

The amount of noise must have been the symptom of something :huh2:

Are there any other reports of exceptional or increasing noise from the other clutches that have exploded?

It will be interesting to see how the new unit sounds.

I am reluctant to consider changing the clutch *just-in-case*, as the cost of a new one is so outrageous (I consider it so anyway): £500 or more for a single plate clutch – is that right?

Just when I think everything's pretty much settled down on my bike, this rear's it ugly head again.

I love my bike, but can anybody remind me why?

I guess there's nothing left to do but this.. :drink:

Keep your ears open out there..

johnk

Eeek.  I will not tour my Scura again unless I commit to fix this now.

Luckily, (?!?) I got me one of these for touring..........  (Don't vomit on it, please)

ST1300.jpg

65867[/snapback]

That is a very nice machine,and an excellent example of something that actually is not a "proper Guzzi." Parked side by side, running or not, blind folded or blind drunk any rider in the world could pick out the real Guzzi.( Sorry :( , borrowing from another thread.)

Bummer about the clutches. :angry:

Luckily, (?!?) I got me one of these for touring..........  (Don't vomit on it, please)

ST1300.jpg

65867[/snapback]

Traitor! Just kidding, I rode the exact color st as yours. Its an awesome bike, I spent all my time playing with the "power windows" HeHe,. I came very close to trading in my nomad on one, but the dealer wanted to give me so little for my 2000 nomad ,that I declined, I loved the st though, with some 2 brothers slip ons, that bike would really sound sweet.

ST1300.jpg

65867[/snapback]

Hey db,

I'm with you. Love my Scura but can't do the trips on it like I can on my '03 ST (ABS). Different strokes for different tasks. :bier:

yeah,

the only thing the ST needs to become the 'perfect' tourer would be a diet. It's well over 700lbs with gas. If it lost 50-75lbs it'd be just AWESOME. Even so, it's monster fast and handles a dream, as well as having all the creature comforts : Big saddlebags, electric windshield, heated grips.

But, this is a Guzzi forum................ :blush:

John,

Sorry to hear about your clutch. I hope it went at the end of your trip and not to severly impact on it. Good thing you checked it when you did before it took engine cases out.

I'm not to sure about the corner of shame that just might cause it to sulk and do it again.

But have a good ride back when she's fixed