Scura Clutch

Baldini

Well KB, I sympathise with your concerns... :moon:

I was planning to do something similar myself this winter. TBH it doesn't look like that is going to happen though....Too many other expenses on at the moment. :huh:

Best of luck and be sure to keep us informed of results, please? :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I confirm with you guys the trend of this clutch problem. Is this concerning models equipped with the 'single plate' style pressure plate, found on the Tenni, Scura, and Rosso only?

Ciao, Steve G.

66092[/snapback]

Yes.

EDIT: Based on other discussions, it also appears to be even further limited to the Scura model (?). I thought I had seen a RM clutch grenade, but I can't remember where...

...could one of you provide me this picture in high resolution, please?...

Not sure..I'll email what John sent me but dunno if it'll be any better res.

EDIT: Err- can't send photos on pm or email....no facility for attachment? How? John - d'you know?

KB :sun:

could one of you provide me this picture in high resolution, please?

66220[/snapback]

These might be slightly better, but still not high resolution I'm afraid.

Image-5D3443A44F8F11DA.jpg

Image-5D346B204F8F11DA.jpg

Did the bolts shear off in the crank?  Is that why the main bearing is off?

66357[/snapback]

That's what I see when I look at that picture. I'll stick with my initial theory. I think these failures are a result of improperly torqued bolts at the factory.

johnk

John,

I'm real sorry to hear about all your troubles. Hell, I thought this clutch thing was a one off, but unfortunately not.

My Scura is in for 20K maintenance and I will defintely ask the mechanic to check the clutch. Sadly you were the one that brought it to my attention and have to pay the price.

Good luck recovering the bike from Spain.

Cheers

Søren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scura II

I just had my clutch on my 02 Scura fail, luckly I was down the street from my house. The bike only has 36,000 miles, but it sounds like some individuals have had the clutch failure sooner. I called Moto Guzzi North America, WHY! Just to see of a recall has been done, NO RECALL, looks like I will fix this on my time and money. Besides the RAM system, has anybody experienced or heard of any other clutch options for this type of bike? Can I change it to the mutiple disk clutch? The quiet One, HA HA.

Thanks

PS. I'm I the guy with the sixth clutch failure on V11 Scura? :)

I just had my clutch on my 02 Scura fail, luckly I was down the street from my house. 

Can you give us (anxious) Scura owners more information? What's the nature of your failure? Do you know if anyone has worked on the clutch since it left the factory? If possible, can you check the torque of the flywheel bolts? One theory is they either aren't tightened properly or they loosen.

Anything you can tell us would be appreciated.

Thanks,

johnk

Guest Scura II
Can you give us (anxious) Scura owners more information? What's the nature of your failure? Do you know if anyone has worked on the clutch since it left the factory? If possible, can you check the torque of the flywheel bolts? One theory is they either aren't tightened properly or they loosen.

Anything you can tell us would be appreciated.

Thanks,

johnk

67524[/snapback]

I haven't taken the guzzi apart yet, But the clutch started making a squelling noise on a road trip. A week after my trip, I was leaving a gas pump and the sounds were horrible :homer::homer: The bike wouldn't go anywhere and I had to call a buddy to tow me home. The clutch doesn't work at all, I can shift gears, but acts like its in neutral. I plan on taking it apart soon(when the weather changes) I have other bikes. When I dig into this mess I will check the torque on the flywheel bolts, (that's if they are still intact!) Since buying this bike new, I have been stuck on the side of the road 5 times, 3 were for transmission issues, 2 were broken shifter springs, the transmission was also replaced under warrenty. Those issues happened many miles ago. I will stay in touch.

Thank You

Clay

Look, I don't know whether this is relevant at all but the earlier twin plate clutch/flywheel has had an aftermarket replacement made of anodised alloy available for yonks. There are generally very reliable, I have one that has led a very hard life in various bikes including one of our race motors and it still looks as good as new :huh2: . I have heard of them failing though and usually this is because the flywheel has been attatched to the crank using Schoore washers, (A dished and serated type belvile washer.) but WITHOUT a flat steel washer underneath. This leads to the serated bits of the schnoore biting through the, (very hard!) anodising on the wheel and setting up stress points that lead to failure of the wheel.

Whether the Guzzi 'Designed' RAM unit is prone to this I don't know, (It certainly isn't hard anodised.) but I would certainly recommend that in any circumstance where you are bolting any alloy flywheel to a crank you use Schnoores but also, underneath them, use a flat steel washer to spread load and protect the alloy.

Will this help prevent the problem with Scura clutches??? I haven't a clue! But it's better than just stabbing in the dark and hoping!

Pete

...Will this help prevent the problem with Scura clutches???...

One of the failures (Roberto) we have seen pictures of, clearly had the steel ring in place. The sheer was around the outside edge of this. John O'S's broke exact same place tho photos show it already dismantled. We have not seen photos of the other centres. Is it possible that this ring actually raises stress around it's edge at an already weak point in the flywheel?

KB :sun: