Gas mileage again... sigh

Guest IanJ

...although I haven't ridden my bike in MONTHS :blink: ... I recall that my mileage is about on-par with yours Ian. Maybe it's our "special" gas out west :lol:

In town, maybe high-20's if I'm lucky. However, on a longish touring excursion I was in the mid 40's consistently.

I suspect much of it my riding style around town. But who knows.

It will be interesting to see how my mileage is affected after the porting, etc... though.

al

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian,

It's hard to say what I get. I'm not sure what a purely complete tank of in town would be because I always try and mix in a little ride during the week. I will tell you though that the worst tank I ever had was about 31 before the adjustment and now I seem to be getting around 40. :P

Sems to me that what you are experiencing should not be normal. After all it is a motorcycle! :P: Your dealer should be pressing MGNA about it as a warranty item. :mg:

Guest dkgross

thanks for the warning on jason's sick sense of humor :D

My Augustini rear fender rack FINALLY came in (nearly 4 months after I ordered it...wheeee). Going to pick it up on my way home tonight. Got my first service scheduled for next saturday, so we'll probalby tweak the PCIII a little bit as well.

so far, the only issue I'm having is that she stalls from time to time at a stoplight...kinda hard to tell if it only does it when it's warm tho. But...I sure do love riding her. :wub:

I'm scoring exactly 7 litres per 100 km which equates to 34 mpg (US gallon) on an absolutely standard 02 Le Mans riding town and country mixed. Seems about typical, but I wonder why my California 1100i performs better despite being slightly heavier and naked. Surely the valve overlap ain't that much greater? What other inefficiencies could there be?

There's 20 or 30 less horsepower in the California. That should equate quite nicely to a lower fuel consumption. FWIW, on a long haul at around 80 mph, the V11 Sport and a California 1100i pull nearly the same gas mileage, somewhere in the high 40's if the weather isn't cold. Mike Stewart and I verified that last year on the trip to Prescott. When I rode back from Ramona last October, I got 194 miles on one tank of gas on the V11 Sport and still had about 3/10's of a gallon left, so that would have been real close to 50 mpg. That was slab miles when the throttle position is constant - and the ride is boring.

Guest sweep

I think it must be u.s. spec bikes with crap gas milage i have a standard euro spec tenni and i do admit i dont do much city commuting but i do use the full rev range on the engine and i mean the taco spends most of its time above 6000rpm in the top 3 gears and i am pissed if the low fuel light comes on "hard" rather than glimmer before 140 miles have come up on the odo

I got the PCIII, crossover and mufflers last year. Gas milage was 120-130miles before warning light and is now around 150miles. The interesting thing was the fuel/air mix BEFORE I lost the 4500rpm dip in the torque curve. The fuel/air was actually RICH in this region with the stock map - as this equates to normal cruising speeds, the stock map was actually contributing to higher fuel consumption - depending on your riding habits...!

later...

Roberto.

Scura #222

LM V '88

The Guzzi FI bikes universally get poor gas mileage when it's cold outside. Typically below 70˚F. Last night, it was 41˚ and I got 38 mpg. Mostly at a constant 65 or 75 mph in sixth. Too low of an rpm to keep the battey charged when wearing a heated vest and grips I might add. Now I'll just have to go faster!!! Whaddya mean - fifth gear??? :P

Interesting, I didn't realize the bike was too rich in the 4k-5k dip. That might explain part of my gas mileage problem -- I tend to hang out around 4000 to 4500 RPM when cruising at speed.

Guest dkgross

I did a quick check last night when I filled up. I'm only getting 27mpg. Mostly doing 40mph commute speeds, but having fun on the highway when I get a chance.

then again..I've only got 600 miles on my engine, and it goes in for its first service this coming saturday...

I'm about to get an Agostini crossover on loan from Moto International, as a possible cure to the gas mileage problem. Anyone have any experience with the Agostini? Is it much different from the Stucci?