v11 scura clutch failure

Guest hlancee

I have a Q, NOW I'm not a Big city Mechanic .... :homer:  but why did they ever use these single plates ? what is the advantage in using them in the scuras and Rossas is there something I'm missing but I would think a dual plate would be a better one.  :huh2:

68676[/snapback]

When the Rosso first came out, I remember there was a review raving about the clutch, and how while testing at the track they gave it many race launches with no loss of grip or fading.

In marketing the clutch, it was pretty clear that it was viewed as superior.

I recall even being a little envious... :blush:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... bite into aluminium hypothesis. That and perhaps aluminium is not the best material of choice for the application in the first place.

Can I get an "AMEN! HalleLUJAH!" my Guzzi brethren?

:grin:

Going with a lightened steel clutch [c'mon, people have been doing finite element analysis with eXcel of all things on laptops for the last 10 years already! Spend some cpu time Guzzi, & make the Swiss fear for their cheese! ^_^ ] might have been the wiser course for longevity, but we'll never know now, will we?

But it would be nice if we could manage to come up with a reasonable fix to the existing clutches so that apart from the cost of tearing the motor out of the frame and pulling the clutch off (& of course, buttoning it all back up again), the Scura, Tenni & RM owners out there wouldn't be looking at being out of pocket for obscene sums, wouldn't it?

Pete, where are you when we need your insight? Is it merely a case of pulling the whole thing apart, smearing everything w/ Loc-tite & adding some steel shims here & there, or is there a serious structural flaw in the Al-clutch design?

Dang I like a good mystery! :food:

Two-plate clutches will fit the Scuras and RMs and Tennis.

Best would be one from another spine-frame model because these clutch/flywheel assemblies are substantially (12-14 lb, depending on who you believe; I believe the scale I weighed mine on, which said 14 lb.) lighter than those used on the Tonti models, plus the Sport clutches have two extra clutch springs. Yes, you will also need the clutch input hub. New, these would be very expensive.

Clutches from the late Calis will also be very expensive and are exceedingly scarce because Guzzi needs them all, and more, to replace the single-platers in the '03 Calis, many of which fail in under 1,000 miles 'cause the sintered bronze plate Guzzi used isn't very durable.

This may be the makngs of an opportunity for replacing aluminum single-platers, though. You could get a warranty-take-off single-plater from an '03 Cali and use it with an organic plate. This is what I run in my Sport-eating Eldo. :P This clutch is about 6 lb. lighter than the late Tonti clutch (used from about the Lemans 1000-on). With a little machine work, it could be made as light as the two-plate Sport clutch.

Guzzi has not been asking for these take-off single-platers back from dealers, so if you find a cooperative dealer, you can get the complete take-off assembly, including input hub, for little or nothing. Then, an organic-compound plate is about $80.

How durable will it be? That is the question. I've had mine in for about 1,000 city miles so far. If it was self-destructing, I suspect I'd've had to adjust the cable slack by now, but I haven't had to. Others I know have raced through two complete seasons, and the plate is still operating perfectly. My GUESS is that it will last, but it is just a guess at this point. I love it so far. the pull is two-finger light, and engagement is the smoothest I've ever felt out of a Guzzi clutch.

• 1 month later...

Well this may be out of topic of the thread but wouldn't want to start another.

Well does anyone knows if the cluch plates of the V11,reported with part no.MG 03084400, will fit on the Sport 1100i ?

They have a different number on the part book but they mey well fit exact.

TIA :bier: