v11 scura clutch failure

Guest hlancee

Guest hlancee

Hello all

Just letting you know that the clutch on my scura has self destructed.

so I suppose I am number five in the known scura clutch failure list. :angry:

it looks to me that the cracking of the carrier starts around the centre

( where it is bolted to the crank shaft).

The main crankshaft oil seal got chewed up by the bits of alloy.

this caused oil to be sprayed all over my back tyre.

after that it was like riding on ice. nearly lost it going around a bend.

the damage was confined to the clutch assembly itself and some scoring of the

transmission housing.

I am thinking of replacing the single plate clutch with the standard twin plate

because I do not want a re run of my experiences. can anyone tell me if there is

an re engineered single plate clutch available?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all

Just letting you know that the clutch on my scura has self destructed.

so I suppose I am number five in the known scura clutch failure list. :angry: 

it looks to me that the cracking of the carrier starts around the centre

( where it is bolted to the crank shaft).

The main crankshaft oil seal got chewed up by the bits of alloy.

this caused oil to be sprayed all over my back tyre.

after that it was like riding on ice. nearly lost it going around a bend.

the damage was confined to the clutch assembly itself and some scoring of the

transmission housing.

I am thinking of replacing the single plate clutch with the standard twin plate

because I do not want a re run of my experiences. can anyone tell me if there is

an re engineered single plate clutch available?

66852[/snapback]

I rang my dealer in brisbane and he quoted me $2,600 parts only to change over to the twin plate. There has to be a better deal than this. Someone please respond and help out us Aust. Scura riders

Timnic - did your clutch break too?

Hlancee, with yours I make that at least seven documented here, Paul reckons it's more...Can you tell us were flywheel bolts tight when you stripped it down? Have you checked the other threads? - not sure, but it might be easier to get at info if we keep to same threads to discuss. (See"Scura Clutch" to see photos of another failure same as yours). What # is your Scura? I know the ltd ed #'s are probably arbitrary but it may tell us something? It may be worth trying to collate frame #'s. I still intend to try & get Guzzi to do something on this.

KB :sun:

Hlancee, with yours I make that at least seven documented here, Paul reckons it's more...Can you tell us were flywheel bolts tight when you stripped it down? Have you checked the other threads? - not sure, but it might be easier to get at info if we keep to same threads to discuss. (See"Scura Clutch" to see photos of another failure same as yours). What # is your Scura? I know the ltd ed #'s are probably arbitrary but it may tell us something? It may be worth trying to collate frame #'s. I still intend to try & get Guzzi to do something on this.

66878[/snapback]

No mine has not broken yet but with seeing that yet another has broken I am begining to worry and would rather change it now rather than wait for it to break

Tim

66878[/snapback]

Lemme know if you need another voice at MG or MGNA. I'll gladly add my concerns

Thanks Dan. I am trying to get somewhere with MG re these clutches. I've emailed dealers/MG customer services with photos. I don't expect any immediate response but, should it be necessary, we can at least prove that we made our concerns known to MG & that they were aware of these failures. I'm no lawyer, but if there is a known generic fault with serious safety implications & MG do not act to sort it then surely they are negligent.

I am going to prepare a detailed list on this to give to Moto Guzzi (in the first instant). I'd like to collate as much info as I can & I'd be grateful for any details of failures (Frame #'s, photos, circumstances, mileage etc) - pm me or post here.

And can we keep this thread to the point so's if I want to direct anyone to it or print stuff off etc I don't get reams of irrelevant junk - :thumbsup: Thanks.

Cheers, KB :sun:

The point for guzzi is that one way or the other, a part of the clutches weren't claimed as warranty. And as long as they aren't claimed, Guzzi doesn't know of a problem and has no problem.

They have a bigger problem with the calli clutches and valve things

The point for guzzi is that one way or the other, a part of the clutches weren't claimed as warranty. And as long as they aren't claimed, Guzzi doesn't know of a problem and has no problem.

66914[/snapback]

You are more than likely right that most of these failures are not being claimed, as most failures are probably occuring outside the warranty period.

Tim

You are more than likely right that most of these failures are not being claimed, as most failures are probably occuring outside the warranty period.

Tim

66919[/snapback]

In the UK we have the Sales of Goods Act 1974 (? on the year) it states that an item must be fit for the purpose sold for. Even out side of the warranty if the clutch plates are failing in this manner ( it's not reasonable wear and tear or specified as a service item (is it)) after moderate mileages. I would argue that it's not fit for purpose.

....I love those laws, ...

Contrary to the flow of things, much of British law is still based in common sense. As Martin says there are laws governing sale of goods & possibly, still, government funded bodies to help punters under those laws. There is right & wrong whatever. And consumer businesses still rely much on goodwill & image.

I rang my dealer in brisbane and he quoted me $2,600 parts only to change over to the twin plate. There has to be a better deal than this. Someone please respond and help out us Aust. Scura riders

66862[/snapback]

You can get the whole 2 plate clutch convert system from hereComplette Clutch for V11 it is in ebay and it is due to end. The price is very good, it is NEW and deasembled from a new motor.(perhups there can be some deasemble spurs) as the seller states.It is also stated that this is the ideal kit for converting your clutch to a 2 platted one. It is ORIGINAL part and comes with guarantee from the shop. Read more about this topic hereMistral X-over thread.

Dunno what else you'll need for the conversion

:bier:

They have a bigger problem with the calli....... valve things

66914[/snapback]

Yes. yes I've seen them faults .even on 3000km Callis , unbelievable.

I am happy that my bike had done over 65K with minor valve failures, But I have changed :luigi: them anyway.

Alex wrote;

To be honest that doesn't sound too bad. Sorry, but a new RAM clutch purchased locally will be in the $1100 range. Given that so few V11's are sold in Oz you can't expect Tommy or anyone else to be exactly Au-Fait with getting the box out so it will take time and therefore $$$'s If you opt for a conversion to the twin plater you need flywheel, pressure plate, springs, friction plates, intermediate plate, thrust cup and (????) a new pushrod plus bolts and shit like that. It isn't unreasonable.

I'll do it for you if you want but my price wuld be similar and then you'd have getting here etc. and it might cost even more if something gows wrong.

Pete