Steering damper - whats your setting?

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

Just wanted to know what setting or how resistant they have their steering damper set - I am actually beginning to feel that they make slow riding more difficult - do you adjust yours much and for different riding conditions? Do they really make a difference?

Lee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with all the above. All the bikes with dampers I've ever had, new and ancient, just left 'em off. I once rode a mate's Vincent with the damper on a bit and the damn thing nearly killed me at the first corner: how he coped with it I don't know. I think they're unnecessary except for third-wheel merchants, etc.

Just echo from me.

I occasionally used the damper on my EV, e.g., on the rather rare miles I spent on the slab with a w/s and loaded, especially if the big trucks were about (as they usually are on the interstates). Came off once for gas, and forgot to reset. Went onto gravel ... quite exciting. :wacko: Moot now since the damper died miles ago; the stock one is junk.

On the Ballabio, I've played with it a few times while rolling up Ga. 400 to the mountains, but the Ballabio is stable enough not to have yet needed it even on the slab. Sure don't want it in town or in the twisties.

My bitubo is ok. Virtually no resistance on the lowest setting and strong damping on the hardest. I usually have it on about 1/3 from minimum, and turn it off in town. I have had a slight headshake powering out of badly surfaced bends and always thought the damper needed until I softened the damping both ends, and it now seems to behave a lot less skittishly, so maybe the damper is only needed if the suspension is set up too hard. Could this have something to do with all the steering dampers on sportsbikes? Maybe people just set the main suspension up too hard thinking that's what you do with a sportsbike, and end up needing a steering damper because it has no compliance.

Just my :2c:

I run the suspension fairly soft too,

and I tried to run w/o steering damper altogher,

I worked great.

BUT I don't like tank slaping so the Öhlins damper

is perfect, in soft settings next to zero resistance until your need it.

Hyperpro make a rate sensitive one where if you move the bars slowly the resistance is low, but it gives a heavy resistance to sudden movements. I guess one of those would be great.

Just wanted to know what setting or how resistant they have their steering damper set - I am actually beginning to feel that they make slow riding more difficult - do you adjust yours much and for different riding conditions?  Do they really make a difference?

Lee

67618[/snapback]

Oh is it adjustable? Perhaps I'll fiddle with it one day, perhaps the day after I look at my suspension settings. I just ride it, nearly 18K now. Ohlins would be wasted on me :P

I have mine cranked up pretty stiff from when I lost my

Sachs last spring in Vermont. After getting the shock fixed I've left it stiff

because of how great this thing feels in 80 MPH sweepers. Gotta be doing

something right. Tight twisties and parking lot work is fine,

I had read some tank slapper episodes on the short wheel base units also.

I've steped over the handle bars in a tank slapper once.(85 Ninja 600+ frost heaves)

Not a good way to go, so I'll keep a little tension on the ol' damper. :2c:

Guest ratchethack

It's a highly personal thing, but I've always dialed in steering damping for higher-speed riding on every bike I've owned that had one, and I crank it back for parking-lot maneuvering. To me, it makes every bike feel better in terms of stability, and I also find that it allows more precise control. On the Guzzi, I use 12 clicks on the bitubo for most riding. If I'm pushing it hard I crank in a few more clicks. Because I usually adjust it several times every time I ride, I J-B welded a little bump on the adjuster knob that allows me to feel where the setting is without looking down.

Insurance against the dreaded wobbles, aka tank slapper (had it before, never on the Guzzi - don't want to either) is an added perk. :race: