Oil Leak After Crash!

Dr Gil

So what's the "official" species of the Guzzi "goose"?

69800[/snapback]

It's an eagle alrighty...but Italian eagles are a differnt thing entirely than the ones here in the US. :huh2:

Meanwhile I finally got that nut off the shaft of the alternator. I had a friend come over and give me a hand (cost me a beer). For awhile I was afraid it was left handed but no, it turns out that it is indeed right handed. Putting the bike in a high gear and having the rear brake applied didn't work. The engine would still turn and even with quick pressure on the wrench I couldn't break it free. I finally resorted to putting a large screwdriver in the flywheel teeth (almost a last resort...I really, really don't want to have to deal with broken flywheel teeth) and the nut came right off...nolo problemo.

Tomorrow I will respectfully attack the timing cover. :luigi:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ratchethack
Tomorrow I will respectfully attack the timing cover.  :luigi:

Careful, Gil. Don't show it too much respect, or it might get the idea that it's in charge... :lol:

Meanwhile I finally got that nut off the shaft of the alternator....I finally resorted to putting a large screwdriver in the flywheel teeth (almost a last resort)...I really, really don't want to have to deal with broken flywheel teeth) and the nut came right off...nolo problemo. 

Congrat's! Glad to be of service. -_- There wasn't likely any risk to the teeth. I've done this on many many kinds of engines and there's no prob with the levels of torque involved. May I suggest the same thing torquing it back on? :luigi:

It's an eagle alrighty...but Italian eagles are a differnt thing entirely than the ones here in the US.  :huh2:

Hmmmmm......Would they in fact refer to their eagles as "falcone's"??

Enquiring minds just gotta know...

EDIT:

Nevermind... eagle = Aquila. falcon = falcone, falco. It appears that ne'r the twain shall meet, even in Italia.

It's an eagle alrighty...but Italian eagles are a differnt thing entirely than the ones here in the US.  :huh2:

Meanwhile I finally got that nut off the shaft of the alternator.  I had a friend come over and give me a hand (cost me a beer).  For awhile I was afraid it was left handed but no, it turns out that it is indeed right handed.  Putting the bike in a high gear and having the rear brake applied didn't work.  The engine would still turn and even with quick pressure on the wrench I couldn't break it free.  I finally resorted to putting a large screwdriver in the flywheel teeth (almost a last resort...I really, really don't want to have to deal with broken flywheel teeth) and the nut came right off...nolo problemo. 

Tomorrow I will respectfully attack the timing cover.  :luigi:

69805[/snapback]

A beer????!!! Costs me at least a six pack just to have someone come

over and make fun of me while I do all the work.

Sounds like your over the hump Doc.

Scarry jammin' that screw driver in there huh? I know I've done it so there must be a reason. Must be all the slop all the way to the back wheel. Just can't get the immediate

force.

Ratchethack is vindicated again. :bier::bier::bier:

Hmmmmm......Would they in fact refer to their eagles as "falcone's"??

Enquiring minds just gotta know...

69809[/snapback]

Guzzi started to name bikes after birds in the 30's: Albatross, Condor, Egretta, Airone (Heron), Stornello (Sparrow), Galletto (Cockatiel).

Many of the early names, and a practice which continued through the 50s, was to name the bike for some aspect of the valve or cylinder arrangement (C4V, Bicylindrica, Otto Cylindri.)

The earliest 'name' : 1925 :Sport.

There have also been names from places of notable achievement: LeMans, Norge, Daytona.

The Moto Guzzi Eagle, of course , is a tribute to the fallen pilot ( Ravelli ) who would have raced the earliest Guzzis if his Ansaldo biplane had not crashed after the end of WWI. It is the eagle of the early Italian Air Force.

To me it is a proud reminder of the brotherhood, of respect for life and the exhiliration of flying. It ties our machines to the thrill and challenge of aviation in its purest, air-cooled, open cockpit era.

I offer this food for thought :food::cheese: as toast :drink: to Dr. Gilberto's perseverence in standing by his Guzzi. :luigi::thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding historical background, Docc - a most comprehensive answer to my question, and much appreciated! :notworthy:

But I gotta ask - Alfred Hitchcock was of the same era. Was he on the naming committee? :homer:

ALSO - let me not forget to add my accolades to Dr. Gil for his wisdom and courage in the most honorable pursuit of true moto-excellence! :bier::mg:

Guzzi started to name bikes after birds in the 30's: Albatross, Condor, Egretta, Airone (Heron), Stornello (Sparrow), Galletto (Cockatiel).

Many of the early names, and a practice which continued through the 50s, was to name the bike for some aspect of the valve or cylinder arrangement  (C4V, Bicylindrica, Otto Cylindri.)

The earliest 'name' : 1925 :Sport.

There have also been names from places of notable achievement: LeMans, Norge, Daytona.

The Moto Guzzi Eagle, of course , is a tribute to the fallen pilot ( Ravelli )  who would have raced the earliest Guzzis if his Ansaldo biplane had not crashed after the end of WWI. It is the eagle of the early Italian Air Force.

To me it is a proud reminder of the brotherhood, of respect for life and the exhiliration of flying. It ties our machines to the thrill and challenge of aviation in its purest, air-cooled, open cockpit era.

I offer this food for thought  :food:  :cheese:  as toast  :drink:  to Dr. Gilberto's perseverence in standing by his Guzzi. :luigi:  :thumbsup:

69827[/snapback]

Being such a new guy to Guzzi's I was oblivious to this piece of Moto Guzzi history. :huh2:

Lately it seems I have been so overwhelmed by the "nuts and bolts" of trying to resurrect my Le Mans and get it back on the road that I fear I've been neglecting the historic perspective that comes with owning a Moto Guzzi. Thank you for passing this info along...it is SO very cool! :notworthy:

The aviation link is key for me. You don't wrench on your plane? Your last flight is coming . :o

It gives me great joy to wrench and tune and groom on the Guzzi. :D

Out on a cool morning, the ring of the cylinders in perfect synch - an aria of pure mastery. The way the Sport dives and swoops and climbs - showing its thrill for the state of tune. It is the brio which inspires the prep time.

It is why I use torque wrenches, measure oils in graduated cylinders and do the 6000 mile service at 4000.

Otherwise it would be just like working on the lawnmower. :(

"And what is good and what is not good, Phaedrus? Need we ask ourselves these things?"

(R.Pirsig)

I like the hole in the alt. cover idea.

I'm not going to do it but thats true Guzzisti thinking.

Also never been there (on a Guzzi) but sometimes those are reverse threads

on the stator nut. Anybody?

I usually use impact on any spinning dodads.

Impact and fly wheel crowbars can be dangerous ....but effective.

69689[/snapback]

I think the new engine on the Breva 1100 actually has the aforementioned access plug. It's an entirely different cover on that engine though. I doubt it would retroactively fit ours.

The aviation link is key for me.  You don't wrench on your plane? Your last flight is coming . :o

It gives me great joy to wrench and tune and groom on the Guzzi. :D

Out on a cool morning, the ring of the cylinders in perfect synch - an aria of pure mastery. The way the Sport dives and swoops and climbs - showing its thrill for the state of tune. It is the brio which inspires the prep time.

It is why I use torque wrenches, measure oils in graduated cylinders and do the 6000 mile service at 4000.

Otherwise it would be just like working on the lawnmower. :(

"And what is good and what is not good, Phaedrus? Need we ask ourselves these things?"

(R.Pirsig)

69879[/snapback]

So,would you fly in a plane put together by the guys who built your V11? :D

The continuing drama... :(

I think I'm screwed. The alternator is off and hanging and with much struggle (bolts behind frame members and not realizing that I had to remove the front two motormounts) I finally got the timing cover free! That's the good part. The bad part and I think what is going to beat me here is that I don't have enough free space at the top of the cover to move it far enough forward to clear the shaft to move it down get it out. :huh2:

I don't see anyway to do it unless I could remove the shaft (not likely) or to drop the engine, which I fear is WAY past my abilities...sigh. I'm attaching a couple of pictures to help with the explaination but I'm afraid it's a bit hard to discern what's going on from them. Everything is tight and in incredibly tight spaces! ...the icing on the cake is that I think I've messed up the seal in the cover that seals the shaft.

CRAP!

cover01.jpg

cover02.jpg

Dr Gil,

The front frame to the engine does unbolt from the spine frame. You may have to remove the fuel tank to get to the bolts. Or you might be able to loosen them (2 bolts) and swing the front of the frame down to gain enough clearence.

If you don't want to tackle it, you can load the bike up and truck it down to me and I will fix it for you. Just might cost you another beer. :bier: I am in Oakland.

Mike

The continuing drama... :(

I think I'm screwed.  The alternator is off and hanging and with much struggle (bolts behind frame members and not realizing that I had to remove the front two motormounts) I finally got the timing cover free!  That's the good part.  The bad part and I think what is going to beat me here is that I don't have enough free space at the top of the cover to move it far enough forward to clear the shaft to move it down get it out.  :huh2: 

I don't see anyway to do it unless I could remove the shaft (not likely) or to drop the engine, which I fear is WAY past my abilities...sigh.  I'm attaching a couple of pictures to help with the explaination but I'm afraid it's a bit hard to discern what's going on from them.  Everything is tight and in incredibly tight spaces!  ...the icing on the cake is that I think I've messed up the seal in the cover that seals the shaft.

CRAP!

cover01.jpg

cover02.jpg

69940[/snapback]

See....this is why one beer at a time won't work.

Several beers will relieve alot of your stress while having little adverse

effect on the overall project.

Don't know if you have the parts fische >> http://mphcycles.com/Parts%20Manuals/GU003...920090_1100.pdf

Sorry but I don't know how to lift images off it. (Adobe thing?)

I gather your talking about frame piece # 2 on D7?

Looks simple in the drawing...yea,,,with no wires and plumbing running through it.

Hopefully if you remove the bolts you'll have the slop to get your cover off.

I can't imagine you really damaged the seal ...maybe it got that way from the

factory.. but while your in there...anyway.

Though next time it will only take you 90 minutes....and a 12 pack.

I haven't been confronted with this problem but it looks like a pain in the buttt.

Not a high tech thing but alot of nigling and no space to work.

Good practice for changing the headlight on a LeMans.