It's your time, and your money.

Think again about how little you want to de the job over,

and how you wil kick yourself if leaks

"just a little bit".

Then order the cover.

And no, I don't have one.

70045[/snapback]

How'd you know I was going to ask you Todd? :whistle:

Well, I was. I'm tempted by the JB Weld solution and encouraged by Ratchet's endorsement. But while it's a jim dandy product my experience is that it will eventually fail (certainly sooner than a pristine part would)...and I plan on keeping this bike forever. :wub: So my thinking at the juncture is to replace. :unsure:

But as you well know some parts just don't seem to be available. :mg: If this turns out to be the case with the timing cover (and it doesn't seem likely that any of the good members here, who have bailed me out so many times recently would have on hanging around) then I'll have to go with the patch and hope for the best.

Meanwhile I'll try to come up with one I guess...will this never end?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ratchethack

Well, the old one would make an impressive hors d'oeuvres serving tray...

But again, that's just me. Wives' opinions will no doubt vary... -_-

DrGil,

The 02 Lemans wrinkle cover, p/n 01001440 is over $220.00 list price.

the 04 Nero Corsa semi-gloss, p/n 01001490 is $132.00 list price.

I have no explanations.

I presume the only difference is the finish.

I can't swear to it.

MGNA/Piaggio parts is still in disarray.

Enquire to the Germans,

confirm the 39 Euro price, and pay a little

extra for express freight.

Get that thing back on the road!

What'd I say about the seal? If'n you had one on hand, this would never have happened.....

I'm with Todd on replacing the cover. Why do the job twice? Why drive around worrying about whether the JB weld is going to hold?

I could have sworn I saw a V11 sport cover for sale recently either on line on in the MGNOC newsletter.....I do know Frank Wedge is parting out his Le Mans- he might sell his (doubtful). Or look on ebay or give a call to one of the European Guzzi wreckers.??

Good luck!

DrGil,

The 02 Lemans wrinkle cover, p/n 01001440 is over $220.00 list price.

the 04 Nero Corsa semi-gloss, p/n 01001490 is $132.00 list price.

I have no explanations.

I presume the only difference is the finish.

I can't swear to it.

MGNA/Piaggio parts is still in disarray.

Enquire to the Germans,

confirm the 39 Euro price, and pay a little

extra for express freight.

Get that thing back on the road!

70050[/snapback]

Ahhh, the Italians...

I've already put in a request from the Germans by translating their online order form via Babel Fish...that should amuse them to no end :unsure: and have contacted an English "bike breaker" now residing in France that I've had good success with.

jrt, I've purchased a few parts of Frank's bike but believe he is selling the engine as a unit. I'm going through my MGNOC newsletters as soon as I'm done here. Good tips all.

Thanks guys. :notworthy:

Guest ratchethack
It's your time, and your money.

Aye. The cost ain't the thing. It's the time involved. How much riding can you get in the next couple months - or more? :huh2: You might consider a 2-step procedure, now that you know how easy this actually is... :lol:

1. J-B Weld & ride the next day.

2. New cover when and if you get y'er hands on one.

Just another idee.

There is no problem with JB weld but where the crack is not in a good location. If you use JB weld, when the bolts are torqued, the crack will open up and you will most likely have another leak.

I would replace the cover also. Welding would work but you need to make sure the surface is flat and to do it correctly you should have it welded on both sides. You would then have to file or mill the cover edge flat. So, it really depends on how long it would take to get a cover, the cost and time of having it welded and then having the risk of another leak.

How much is a cover anyway?

Mike

Aye.  The cost ain't the thing.  It's the time involved.  How much riding can you get in the next couple months - or more? :huh2:  You might consider a 2-step procedure, now that you know how easy this actually is... :lol:

1.  J-B Weld & ride the next day.

2.  New cover when and if you get y'er hands on one.

Just another idee.

70054[/snapback]

Wha'? And deny my wife the use of that lovely "relish tray" (or bed pan)? Tis the "season of giving" ya know. :xmas:

Actually Ratchet this is pretty much my current "fall back" position. As much as I would hate to have to re-do this task, I could and the JB is strong stuff. It might be years before I had to revisit this nightmare and by that time I might actually have the parts I need to complete the job. :mg:

At this juncture all seems to be depending on how available that seal is...it's always something isn't it? :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

It's a little dicey, but I think the risks are low. The worst case scenario in event of failure is that it starts seeping again. :huh2:

I wouldn't use J-B weld in a situation where strength is required relative to torsional stresses on the engine and front subframe. Just my opinion, but I don't think this is called for here because there appears to be enough "meat" left in the casting, and I don't think the crack would be likely to propagate further without another shock on it of the magnitude of a crash. If the crack had any tendency toward opening up further, I doubt if J-B Weld would even begin to stop it.

I think some knucklehead ad somewhere has a guy J-B Welding a motor mount on his Ford or something. Well, this has got to be BS. It's an epoxy - not steel!!

In the timing cover crack application, I'd only choose to use it for it's properties as a sealant that has proven high surface adhesion, long-term pliability, and known durability under extreme petro-chemical attack and heat cycling at engine operating temp's. If it were a situation where I thought the crack could be at all likely to open up due to stress on the part, I wouldn't use it. And of course, though I think it's low, there may be some probability of this - only a strain guage would tell you for sure. Again, the risk of failure has relatively minor consequences here.

FWIW, I've got a large vacuum/pressure fitting J-B Welded into the alloy intake manifold of my Saab Turbo that's been there for 140K miles. I don't expect it'll be letting go anytime soon. :grin:

Guest mtiberio

did I call it on being cracked or what... anyway, take the cover to the best machinest in your town and ask him if he can fix and and how much. I knew a guy in ashville NC, that could fix that no prob...

I'd suggest order a new one from???? Wasn't it Paul who said that Teo has crates of 'em cheap? and get it air expressed over from clog-wog-land, It'll be with you in a couple of days. I'd suggest going *local* but Todd sez he doesn't have one, you could try one of the other mobs, Harper's, MG Cycle etc.

as Ratchet says if you weld it it will warp, forget it, just get it polished, cut the alternator part out and stick a clock in there and then sit it on your mantlepiece as a conversation piece when your hateful in-laws come round :grin: .

Epoxy *might* work, but there again it might not, why risk it?

Buy a new seal, it'll cost next to nothing. You can probably get one from the local bearing factor but I've always found that *original* seals work whereas generic ones sometimes don't. I have no idea why.

You'll get great satisfaction from doing this yourself. You've got all winter. Don't rush it and ASK if you get stuck. There are NO stupid questions, only stupid answers. OK?

Pete

Guest ratchethack

Leave us not forget, Gents, that THIS is where Dr. Gil lives.

While it's snowing in much of the Northern hemisphere, he may be motivated to get back on the road ASAP! This is my favorite riding time of the year on the California coast! :sun:

Good news! HMB Guzzi (thanks for the tip Paul) had a 2003 timing cover in stock for the 39 Euros they advertised on their website :thumbsup:

It will be shiny black rather than my engine's lovely "mat" black but I can live with that (my engine is usually filthy anyway and there is no telling what color it is). The shipping to the U.S. is 27 Euro bringing the total to 66 Euro for the cover...a good deal.

They are requesting I send a check by snail mail for payment and I'm a bit concerned about how slow that will be to get the check there and then the cover back by post during the holiday season. :xmas: I'm checking on whether I can pay by an alternate method.

I've also got the seal on order from Moto International (with whom I have a store credit...long story). Hopefully it will beat the cover getting here.

So today I'm covering up all the open bits and will focus on other projects (new rubber, heated grips, speed bleeders and sorting out the rear light electrics) on the bike until the parts arrive. :whistle:

If I made a clock out of every screw up I have done, there wouldn't be any wall space left in the house :grin:

Clock.jpg

This is just one of those screw ups... I bought this cheap fairing for my 00 V11 Sport and tried to cut the windscreen down with a jig saw and it shattered :bbblll:

Sooo, I took a sealed headlamp and cut the backing off ( a few hour job), drilled a hole through the glass and installed the fixings to make a clock. I still want to put a low voltage light in the back to make it light up. Someday :homer:

Mike

just get it polished, cut the alternator part out and stick a clock in there and then sit it on your mantlepiece as a conversation piece when your hateful in-laws come round :grin: .

Pete

70095[/snapback]