Do you ever let a friend ride your V11?

Bbennett

Don't trust anybody -- but I want to so I can HEAR what the bike really sounds like.

I let friends ride the Duck -- it's old and stable (and a blast). Nobody rides the Goose or the Buell.

With my Brit clunkers, it's no problem: those who know how to start them know how to ride them, and I always respond to requests to ride them with "Yes, if you can start it". They get the message.

Really, none of my friends would ask the question. If they're offered a ride, that's different, and then they're close enough friends to be unworried about them honouring the old "You bend it - you mend it" agreement.

So, no, I wouldn't if asked the question, but there are people I would offer a ride on it before they need ask! It works better than it sounds.

With my Brit clunkers, it's no problem: those who know how to start them know how to ride them, and I always respond to requests to ride them with "Yes, if you can start it". They get the message.

Really, none of my friends would ask the question. If they're offered a ride, that's different, and then they're close enough friends to be unworried about them honouring the old "You bend it - you mend it" agreement.

So, no, I wouldn't if asked the question, but there are people I would offer a ride on it before they need ask! It works better than it sounds.

68747[/snapback]

As Above, :stupid:

Some of my friends - no chance!!

Most of the guys I ride with tho' are very capable riders. We often swap bikes to try out the others latest ride or latest mod. We have an understood rule. When on somebody else's bike, ride 80%. That is, ride at no more than 80% of what you would do on your own bike.

We've had no problems, but unless I trust someone's skill and maturity... no way!

Now about that wife thing... :whistle:

Rj

I got to know the man/woman. My wife hasnt tried the V11 yet, but she will. I have a couple of mates who I would lend it to, but I myself drive it out of town, and when on a nice, quiet strech of road, we swap keys.

Hi,

I guess I should chime in since the bike that hit the deck at this San Diego Rally was mine! I'll start out by saying...IT IS JUST A MOTORCYCLE GET A GRIP MAN! I should clear up the incident. My Friend didn't ask to borrow my bike I offered it to him. His bike broke down and unable to take his own bike back to motel, so I lent him my bike. This friend is very experinced rider in fact we tease him because he is such a safety freak! he rarely rides other friends bikes.

The day was bad in that it was misting all day and night. (wet roads). We were at a camp ground that had very little lighting and it was foggy (poor visablity). he normally rides a T-3-FB and a 1000s which both are linked brake models...I loaned him a Y2K Hot Rod Jackal with twin 320mm front discs, Brembo 4 pot calipers and 19mm Brembo radial front master cylinder that are not linked, these front brakes would be a tad better than the single Brembo 2 pot caliper and 12mm front mastercylinder on his bike. ( new to him)...so I warned him about not using the front brake the way he does on his bike just needs one/two finger max....so he uses the whole hand (BTW the way MSF teaches you to use the front brake) and locks front wheel while going slightly right (leaned over a little) the bike skided about 8 to 10 feet so he was probably going closer to 10 mph not that it matters much. He wasn't doing anything stupid just a few things stacked up against him and gravity bit him. Out of all my friends that I might lend a bike to he is the lowest risk person (least likely to crash) fact is I'm a greater risk than he is, and I still let myself ride my bikes. :grin:

The next morning Eric H asked me to ride his bike home since had truck and bike there. so I rode about 20 miles of twisty bits in the rain on a super clean Le Mans I. Man, what was I thinking..."Don't drop this one!!!!" and I wasn't the one that dropped mine but sure felt like I did. all was good his bike got home safe. he got me back to my bike in his truck and then met up with Racer-X, Jedione, Thrimph Jim and Wallace, and had a great ride home on my dented bike. :huh2: richr

p.s.

Oh if a friend asked me to borrow my bike the way yours did...it would of been Hell NO! you can't ride my bike!! and I think I've proven I'm pretty lax on letting "Qualified" friends ride my bikes.

I have let several people ride my bike, including a good friend of mine the day I brought it home.

I even shipped my bike out here to NC a month before moving, and told my buddy who was storing it for me to "feel free" :race:

Look, I love the bike, and would hate for it to get mashed... but it's a bike, and I trusted these guys not to wreck it out of negligence. If it got wrecked, I know insurance would cover most of the costs.

al

i used to know very well this shop owner and could ride quite an array of its exotic bikes: Norton F1 Sport, RC 30, Ducatis 888 SP5 and all...The first ducati i ever rode was an SP2: he asked me if i wanted to ride it and put some petrol in it.

200 meters later, i wanted to make a U-turn in a small street but no one had told me NEVER do a U-turn on a Ducati Superbike...Of course, I fell, scratched quite badly the fairing, and my ego, but the shop owner was ok with it as the bike was going to be run in SBK championship anyway so the fairing had to go...

i let very good, and insured, friends ride my bike, and especially now with the Ghezzi as to spread the word ;)