04 V11 just stoped

dangerous

Ok..... out riding today and the bike just stoped mid flight, restarted ok so mosied on.

However 1hr later it died again.... no fuel pump and I expect no spark.

So I figered it was the same prob as my 1100i sport had with the relays..... would this be so, after 8yrs I would have thought the prob sorted... maybe not.

Any help you lot can offer?

Ok..... out riding today and the bike just stoped mid flight, restarted ok so mosied on.

So I figered it was the same prob as my 1100i sport had with the relays..... would this be so, after 8yrs I would have thought the prob sorted... maybe not.

69527[/snapback]

Hi Darryl - I had a very similar experience with my '04 Nero the first day of ownership, and for the next couple of weeks. The long story is on the forum here, a basic search of my posts will bring it up easily. Long story short the problem was an intermittent fault with the original ECU. My dealer replaced the ECU after much other trouble shooting and that fixed the problem for me. Good luck.

now after I got home I checked out the basic wiring, all seems

ok, put relays back as ther were cos I swaped them about.... well went out

for a spin and the bike was slugish in the gear changes, and on the shut

down of the throttle it back fired a lot, also idle seems to be down...

never done that before even with the after market pipes on it.

But nearing home it seemed to come alright again.... buggered if I know???

Try changing the engine rotation sensor. I have seen stuff about these going bad and giving intermittent or no output. No idea how common it is though.

The current flow to the run switch is though the sidestand switch. As you know, these are located out in the stream of road crud.

Easiest check is to bypass it and see if all goes well. :luigi:

(There is hope in the little things.)

maybe a stupidly simple suggestion, but check the plug caps, I had what seems to be a similar situation some time ago and it turned out that the right plugcap had unscrewed itself. I chopped half an inch of the wire, screwed the cap back on, hey presto.....

Cheers all, as the bike is new then the shop wanted to check it out.

Well...... bloody spagitti wiring, ya know what the shop rings and tells me the bikes ready for pick up... but they found no problems.

So, I went to start the beast to leave the shop... and it dident start, so with a refiddle of the relays it started so turned it off went and put the old lid on went back to the bike... you guessed it wouldent start.

More fuking bout and it started.... now they tell me they have no idea what it is... I reckon the RELAYS FFS, but I'm then told naaa mate MG fixed that prob ages ago.

Up to spares I go and ask for a Bosch relay to carry as a back up... bastards wanted me to pay for it, well I dident and I have the relay.... so fuked if I know... any ideas peops

:helmet:

Try taking the bars and banging them from left to right against the frame stops,theres a cluster of connections under the tank that pick up crud after a while.You may have to take these apart, clean, a little dielectric grease should be good to go . Good Luck!

Try taking the bars and banging them from left to right against the frame stops,theres a cluster of connections under the tank that pick up crud after a while.You may have to take these apart, clean, a little dielectric grease should be good to go . Good Luck!

69873[/snapback]

That'd be the pair of bullet connectors for the clutch switch. Good idea to clean/ grease and make sure they crimp together well.

While the tank is off, groom the clutch switch wires so the fork rotation doesn't affect them and zip-tie in place.

Remember, the clutch switch will lock out starter activation but will NOT affect "running."

69527[/snapback]

KNOW THE RULES :homer:

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean it does not crank OR cranks and does not start?

If the bike does not crank over when you hit the starter button, then check the clutch switch. Usually there have been problems found under the fuel tank at the bullet connectors. I had problems at low mileage on my 03 Rosso. I bypassed the clutch switch because it is just another thing to go wrong. I am also old school when I ride as I always pull in the clutch lever when starting a bike.

Ok, now if the bike cranks and will not start and you played around with the relays and now it starts, you could have at least two things going on here. One are the relays themself, and the other problem could be a loose fitting female terminal that the relay plugs into. You will need to preform a drag test which is taking a male terminal the same size as the terminals on the relay and inserting it into each female terminal that the relays plug into. You want to feel some drag, no drag equals a poor connection. If you find one that fits loose, you can tighten it with a small pick or big needle.

Keep us informed,

Mike

Cheers all, as the bike is new then the shop wanted to check it out.

Well...... bloody spagitti wiring, ya know what the shop rings and tells me the bikes ready for pick up... but they found no problems.

So, I went to start the beast to leave the shop... and it dident start, so with a refiddle of the relays it started so turned it off went and put the old lid on went back to the bike... you guessed it wouldent start.

More fuking bout and it started.... now they tell me they have no idea what it is... I reckon the RELAYS FFS, but I'm then told naaa mate MG fixed that prob ages ago. 

Up to spares I go and ask for a Bosch relay to carry as a back up... bastards wanted me to pay for it, well I dident and I have the relay.... so fuked if I know... any ideas peops

:helmet:

69846[/snapback]