Riding technique: Trail braking

Bbennett

*riding technique topic*

I am always open to learing more about riding technique.

I am just wondering if people have used "trail braking" (apparently it is the application of front -or- rear brakes under power on a turn) on their V11's?

I do know that use of the rear brake on a turn without power being applied is a quick path to a low sider.

Specifically I am curious if the careful application of the rear brake (again, under power) it is a way to cut a faster corner in situations where you, um, suddenly need it.

Thanks

I got into the habit of dragging my back brake while frolicing in the

twisties with friends. This was due to them being on big twins (Beemers)

and me on multis....I'd end up rolling up on them a little too much if I didn't.

With the Duc and the LeMans it's a moot point unless your at the track.

Trail breaking does feel to me like it loads the suspension and settles the

bike in a good way but with the Goose it's all in the throttle/motor.

It's just perfect for lazily carving the crap out of corners.

It feels like the combination of frame, motor, suspension, RPM and even WEIGHT

are just right for the kind of fun you can reasonably have on public roads.

Much more FUN than the 160 170mph bikes I've had.

This is the best thing I've ever seen about having fun on the roads.

You've probably seen it too. ( I have a couple of caviats but everyones different)

http://62west.net/bikers//pace.html

Trail braking as taught in racing schools refers to using the front brake deeper into the turns. As the bike is leaned over less and less pressure is applied to the front brake. More lean angle= less front brake pressure (too much front brake equals front tire washing out).

Now draging the rear brake helps make the bike settle down. It slows the rear suspension down, kinda like more compression and rebound dampening. Alot of racers do not use the rear brake while some do, so it really depends on what you like.

Anyway, I find the Guzzi rear brake being touchy, so I do not drag the rear brake unless I am going way to hot into a turn :blush: .

Hope this helps,

Mike

*riding technique topic*

I am always open to learing more about riding technique.

I am just wondering if people have used "trail braking" (apparently it is the application of front -or- rear brakes under power on a turn) on their V11's?

I do know that use of the rear brake on a turn without power being applied is a quick path to a low sider.

Specifically I am curious if the careful application of the rear brake (again, under power) it is a way to cut a faster corner in situations where you, um, suddenly need it. 

Thanks

69735[/snapback]

I experimented with braking the rear into corners for quite a while. All this to try and prevent the drive line from unlocking then having to get back on it in the turn to lock it all back up.

I managed to eat up the rear brake pads in about 6000 miles versus the more typical 10000-12000.

After all it is better to use the front to 'set' the suspension as you feed that force of settling into the turn-in , eeeasing off the brake as you straighten up and power out.

It's so hard to get perfect that we can practice every day from now on! :race:

Guest trispeed

trail braking means that you are still braking when you are leaning into the turn. If you are really trying to make time, you could do most of your braking while upright, of course but instead of releasing the brakes completely before leaning into the turn , you release the brakes more gradually to the point where by the time you have reached max lean, you have just finshed releasing the brakes. The more you lean, the more you have released the braking power ( could be front and/ or rear brakes). Now it's time to pick up the throttle. These elements are not separate but happen in a skillfully applied co-existence. Not easy but worth the effort to get to a track day where you can practice it with the highest safety margin.

while it's not really trail braking....I find that if you find yourself going a bit too fast mid-corner and drifting to the road's edge...a dab (not a stomp) on the rear brake tightens your line up nicely without upsetting the bike.

Rear brake will drop the bike into the corner power will stand it up and run it wide. On the road very rarely especailly with the effective engine braking of the Guzzi. On the track on my motard lots and lots. On the roads around here you nedd a little room to manover trial braking tends to cut the amount of time you have to change things as well the attiude of the bike it give you less margin for error. It is faster but on the road I like to leave a margin for error.

For slow manoevres and tight turns on slippy city roads i find I use the rear brake for fine control of speed and rear wheel torque to avoid being on and off the throttle mid turn. The rough power delivery and transmission lash is well controlled by this technique.