40mm forks re-sprung -- huge improvement

beauchemin

I would like to get my suspension sorted, BUT I am more confused than enlightened by these threads.

I have found with the standard set up that firmer is not better. Backing off the damping made the bike hold the road on our crappy surfaces a whole lot better. OK the forks bottom because the springs are too soft no doubt, and I have removed the compression overdamping that compensated for that.

The rear seems hard solo and soft 2 up, but have you tried to get at the adjusters lately???! :angry:

I guess I need progressive fork springs, and am tempted to a Wilbers or similar rear shock ONLY because remote preload adjustment would be sooooo great to have!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
so, you don't remember your front sag numbers before springs and spacers.

I wish I had written mine down....oh well.

But I looked back throught the threads and found that you and I both ended up with the same numbers.

You wrote,

Your unladen target was 21mm

I think if you got to your target the spring may have been too soft.

And we both have a difference of 12mm, which I think is fine.

But if I had a choice of going a little firmer or softer, I'd go firmer.

So I think a front sag difference of 16mm would be too much, for all but touring.

What do you think?

72285[/snapback]

Dave, since I started off ~2 yrs ago playing with fork preload & spacers, my original sag numbers have evidently gone the way of my memory and half of many pairs of socks...but I know I had 'em recorded, and if I continue to look, I think I might still find 'em. :blush:

Yeah, we both had identical sag measurements AFTER stiffer springs and preload adjustment. Somewhat amazing, considering the difference in weight and a set of springs that're of entirely different design. But not all that surprising, actually, since preloads & air space can be adjusted to get quite a range of sag.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you that 16 mm difference is too much, even for touring (at least for my weight and Road Geez purposes). It might better suit a much lighter rider. I'm currently running 12 mm difference, which seems about right for me with my current preload settings.

Careful, Nog.  To some who haunt this board, those're fightin' words... :o  <_<:grin:

72290[/snapback]

How else would I achieve the compliance I need to get good handling on rough and undulating UK country roads and at the same time prevent dive under heavy braking both solo and 2 up. A constant rate spring can't do it. Constant rate forks might be ideal for the track, but I can't see it in the real world.

We want comfort and the ability to ride on all sorts of surfaces, solo, 2 up and laden with touring accoutrements.

So - progressive front springs and a decent rear shock with remote preload adjustment looks to my naive and inexperienced brain the right way to go. You will never make a V11 into a racebike no matter how much titanium, carbon fibre, Ohlins and power crummanders you put on one.

:2c:

Nogbad

If I remember correctly Big J had his 40mm forks sorted at Maxton suspension in Cheshire- they will modify them for real road riding if you wish and carefully set them up based upon your personal requirements.

Probably worth a try if you want to sort yours out- I am considering doing the same with Helen's 40mm forks.

They will also do you a rear shock if you wish, although I am not sure if it will come with a remote preload adjuster like the aftermarket Ohlins.

Here is their website. http://www.esling.btinternet.co.uk/maxton/

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack
You will never make a V11 into a racebike.....

Hey - that sounds kinda familiar... :D

I'm wit' ya all the way on this one, my friend... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info gang. Very useful. Ratchet helped me get the stock forks set up pretty well ... as well as can be expected. It's been okay, but the changes you made are really the only way to go long-term.

Thanks again!

:bier:

Nogbad

If I remember correctly Big J had his 40mm forks sorted at Maxton suspension in Cheshire- they will modify them for real road riding if you wish and carefully set them up based upon your personal requirements.

Probably worth a try if you want to sort yours out- I am considering doing the same with Helen's 40mm forks.

They will also do you a rear shock if you wish, although I am not sure if it will come with a remote preload adjuster like the aftermarket Ohlins.

Here is their website. http://www.esling.btinternet.co.uk/maxton/

Guy  :helmet:

72326[/snapback]

I havent had the forks done yet Guy,it's on the list tho!

I fitted one of their rear shocks and it's much better than the sachs in my opinion.

The only thing I dont like is that changing the compression damping is a bit fiddly,but I only changed it to see if I preferred a different set up.To be honest,it suited me best straight out of the box.It's very nicely made,too.

Who had the "Wilbers" recently with the clever hydraulic preload knob and nice coloured spring? Was it a Wilbers.... or am I remembering an old thread incorrectly.... :doh:

I sent Maxton an enquiry