Technology versus model

Ryland3210

Wow...a Venture to a sport framed Guzzi?

Thats a serious leap. ..serious leap.. requiring a deep appretiation of the

joy of rubber on the road, carving glorious sweepers, Loving the thunder,

refined braking and geometry of a pretty aggressive track bike.

We love the attack positon...nose to the grind stone...looking for the next

tight corner to set up and throttle hard out of. All day long. Often 5-600 mi. Thats what we paid for..thats what we got. These things when used properly are very "Rider Involved"  More physical and more rewarding...which keeps you pushing for the next corner. I don't know if you've ridden or owned anything with clip-ons but it's pretty different. It would take some getting used to but once you do anything like a Voyager feels like a VW pulling a trailer.

Hope I haven't over stated my case...but thats a leap...then again my buddy went from a HD to a Duc and rides the wheels off it...but he's CRAZzzzY

Best wishes -_-

70977[/snapback]

There is method to my madness to explain the apparent leap. Until Sept '04, I had ridden a Norton Commando for 30 years. Had to give it up due to a knee injury sustained on a Honda 250 in the 70's that finally started acting up, making it too risky to kick start anything.

Next move-long distance cruising Venture for traveling with wife and friends. Guess what, a year later, the knee blows up, and turns out I had a screw loose in the old repair. That's fixed, so kick start not so risky any more, but the Norton was already sold.

It wasn't long before I missed the Norton unbearably. Just purchased a Cafe Sport and am absolutely delighted with it!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, glad you found an accomplice to asauge the Commando Blues!

What year is the Sport? Yourt signature says "2000 V11 Sport."

The later "Cafe Sport" has the longer frame , bigger rear wheel and frame mounted instruments and headlight.

Does yours have clip-ons or handlebar?

Baffles my mind, too, since it isn't true.  My last two Japanese bikes were an '86 FJ1200, which I sold with 44k, and a '96 VFR750, which had 54k when I sold it.  The FJ needed some work (swingarm and steering head bearings) but ran beautifully, didn't burn oil (this was a high-performance air-cooled four, mind you), and easily kept my attention when the joy handle got turned.  The VFR needed similar attention, but again, the engine was tight and ran right up to its 12k-rpm redline without problems when I sold it.  Neither was anywhere near im-and/or-exploding.

FWIW, my '01 Trophy rolled over 36k before the weather closed in.  It's in dire need of a new rear shock but otherwise runs fabulously, and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.  I'd like to add to it, though...  :D

70993[/snapback]

ahhhh youre not typical, AND youre talking 80's I'll give you early 90's tech on the VFR but then again its a honda, sport bikes today as in now, a GSXR or a R-series yama, I wouldn't go near'em to buy at 50k mi. I would still consider a VFR they are soild. :huh2:

Re fuel consumption: It seems after Guzzi went to a a fairly lumpy cam that the consumption suffered the MKV Lemans and 1000s do around 20K per litre around 50mpg (english gallons) the carbed 1100 sport cam along and it was nowhere near that it did have a couple of HP over the MkV as well as modern brakes suspension (for the time). To give you some idea how much more radical the cam in the 1100 sporting models are the P3 cam was always sold as the hot cam for the Guzzi's. For the 1100's its sold as a detune more midrange cam.

The standard Delorto's were pretty woeful athough the carbed 1100 sports also had this gaping chasim int he rev range at the ride by test and pretty well require at least an exhaust and some serious retuning and prefable a set of carbs before comming a reasonable propsition. I brought my carbed bike quiet a while ago when there was a signifcant difference between the carbed and fuel injected bike. If I was buying now I would probally lump up for a newer V11 prefably with the Ohlins suspenion, better gearboxes better brakes more flexiable motor etc etc.

John, glad you found an accomplice to asauge the Commando Blues!

What year is the Sport? Yourt signature says "2000 V11 Sport."

The later "Cafe Sport" has the longer frame , bigger rear wheel and frame mounted instruments and headlight.

Does yours have clip-ons or handlebar?

76875[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply, Docc.

When I signed up to this forum, I was taking a real hard look at the 2000 Sport, but ended up buying a new (leftover) '04 Cafe Sport last month. It has handlebars.

In riding the bike, I found that the mini fairing sends a blast of air right at my face at normal highway speeds. I'm sure in high speed racing position it's fine, but I find it annoying. When I stand up on the pegs, much less wind. I plan on taking it off and storing it. If I'm out in the rain, I'll get no significant protection anyway.

I was pleased to find magnetic drain plugs in the sump and rear transmission. Both had collected quite a lot of metal filings even though I only had 83 miles on it. It's my practice with new vehicles to change the oil within the first 100 miles for that reason.

However, I have had no luck finding the name brand moly additive spec'd in the manual. The links on the forum lead to products that sound like the right type, but I'm not totally convinced. Neither Agip nor Dow Corning list either on their websites. McMaster-Carr lists 3 grades of moly based gear oil additives. The middle grade is gray, which is what I think came out of the transmission. It also lists an aircraft grade, which I'm intrigued by. Do you have any data on what to use?

Thanks,

John

The "moly" additive is a graphite treatment for manual transmissions. The jury its still out if its effective or not. Apprently its widely used in the heavy transport industry. Alternativly Motul (the oil company) do a litre of gear oil with the graphtie treatment already mixed in.

There is method to my madness to explain the apparent leap.  Until Sept '04, I had ridden a Norton Commando for 30 years.  .  .  It wasn't long before I missed the Norton unbearably.  Just purchased a Cafe Sport and am absolutely delighted with it!

76863[/snapback]

I'm sure you know all about

this little (clickable) jewel?

pic_bikefront.jpg

The "moly" additive is a graphite treatment for manual transmissions. The jury its still out if its effective or not. Apprently its widely used in the heavy transport industry. Alternativly Motul (the oil company) do a litre of gear oil with the graphtie treatment already mixed in.

77184[/snapback]

Graphite is a form of carbon, whereas moly is short for molybdenum, usually used in the compound molybdenum disulfide. They are two different friction modifiers.

Do you know if Motul has a true "moly" based product?

I'm sure you know all about

this little (clickable) jewel?

pic_bikefront.jpg

77188[/snapback]

No, I didn't. I generally don't keep track of what's around unless ready to buy, then go nuts with research. Looks like something I'd love to ride!

Try 20K for the good one, or about 11K sterling.

78011[/snapback]

Huh? Where'd you get $20k from? The website spec sheets for deposits say $11 and $13k.

Maybe you meant pesos? :grin:

Oops, nevermind. I see that the $20k bike is their "Signature Series". Whose signature, and why's it worth $8k more? The $13k S model has the Ohlins and nice brakes already :huh2: