Technology versus model

Ryland3210

I've been fascinated by Moto Guzzi's unique designs ever since I saw the Spanish carabinieri majestically riding them in 1969. I've settled on buying a used or new Moto Guzzi, but need help deciding which year and model. I would really appreciate the following information:

From 2000 to 2005, which models and years have:

Carburettors vs. EFI

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic

Hydraulic vs. cable actuated clutch

Quiet mufflers that meet the 85 DB noise standard vs. traditional

What does the PCIII consist of?

Any other important distinguishing characteristics.

I know this is a lot to ask, and realize I probably could find the answers somewhere in the forum, but it is so vast, it would take me too long. I want to make decisions soon.

Thanks much,

John

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be interesting.... :D

I'm certainly not in a league with most here except for pure passion

but I'll put in my :2c: since I'm here anyway.

My favorite is the LeMans...Love everything about it.

With the prices you can get on a used one it's a no brainer with one caviat.

Get an 03 or newer...seems they got by alot of earlier glitches starting w/03

Rossa Corse with the Olins.....under 10K$ Yeoooowwww.

Loud pipes? What...they got no HDs in NY?

If your more into touring ala R or K bikes I guess you'd be lookin' @ the big Breva.

More into street hot rod / looks ...maybe the Grisso?

All have Hyd. clutches as far as I know. A big differnce is the suspension.

The Scura (clutch issues...maybe) Tenni, Rosas and some LeMans come thru with the Olins package....highly desireable...and you'll likely pay for it.

There's a start....Good luck and welcome aboard.

I've been fascinated by Moto Guzzi's unique designs ever since I saw the Spanish carabinieri majestically riding them in 1969. I've settled on buying a used or new Moto Guzzi, but need help deciding which year and model. I would really appreciate the following information:

From 2000 to 2005, which models and years have:

Carburettors vs. EFI

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic

Hydraulic vs. cable actuated clutch

Quiet mufflers that meet the 85 DB noise standard vs. traditional

What does the PCIII consist of?

Any other important distinguishing characteristics.

I know this is a lot to ask, and realize I probably could find the answers somewhere in the forum, but it is so vast, it would take me too long. I want to make decisions soon.

Thanks much,

John

70894[/snapback]

What are you thinking about- cruiser or sport? I've written up a short faq on the model vs. year changes for the V11 series.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

But some short answers for you-

All Moto Guzzi's, regardless of model, from 200-2005 are EFI. All V11's are solid lifters. Some or all of the California/Jackal/Stones are hydraulic, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

All the mufflers are pretty quiet. It's a popular modification to put on louder ones. I would contact Todd Eagan (RacerX) regarding the PCIII. Many people have said that it dramatically improves the rideability of their bikes. I've never installed one, so I can't say personally, but anectodal evidence is favorable.

Other distinguishing characteristics...let's see...they are all twins? :grin:

:mg:

The funny thing about Guzzis is that they have not marched forward in terms of progress much in the last 30 years or so.

In real terms, a mark 1 Le Mans 850 is not all that much slower than a V11- in fact its lower, lighter and simpler. Both have a top speed about 130mph.

I ride regularly with guys on Tonti framed older Guzzis and they are not really left behind by a fatter, heavier, higher though more powerful V11.

Saying that, a modern Guzzi does have better brakes and wider tyre sizes to fit modern tyres but you can tweak older Guzzis to have better brakes, suspension and tyres anyway.

Whichever bike you choose, if its a Guzzi it should be a lot of fun to ride and pretty practical. If you go for a more modern Guzzi like a V11 there are always forums like this one to help you if you have any niggles.

Good luck with your choice.

Guy :helmet:

Whichever bike you choose, if its a Guzzi it should be a lot of fun to ride and pretty practical. If you go for a more modern Guzzi like a V11 there are always forums like this one to help you if you have any niggles.

70905[/snapback]

I have acquired a niggle. What should I do with it?

I have acquired a niggle. What should I do with it?

70920[/snapback]

Take away his gun and send him back to Brixton

Oooooops political correctness out of the window!

I apologise in advance to all those who I have mortally offended!

What are you thinking about- cruiser or sport? I've written up a short faq on the model vs. year changes for the V11 series.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

My preference is for less weight, quick handling. When I went to a larger tire on my Norton, I had to push the steering around a lot more than before, so front tire weight, rake and trail are important to me.

I was interested in which models had carbs, because I like simplicity, and because I have read of very poor mileage around town with M-G's EFI, and the Dynojet tuning thread casts doubt on the fuel mixture under PCIII control on the other.

I have no problem with solid lifters, dislike the styling of the California type so all things considered, sport fits these criteria, except I want to sit reasonably upright.

The exhaust of the '05 Triumph T100 I test drove was so quiet, I couldn't hear it over the valve gear! I don't want to run anything near drag pipes or straight through Bubs, but do want to hear enough to know how the engine is running. Then I can take advantage of my modest sound based diagnostic abilities, and hear the engine's heartbeat.

Does that help explain what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

John

That sounds like '03-'04 Sport or Ballabio. More comfy than the early Sports. The '99-'01 Red Frame Sports are quicker handling ( also sexy, exotic and desirable :rolleyes::P ) but probably take more effort to get the suspension setup right.

Do the Lemans if you're looking for a fairing.

Expect 33-38 mpg.

It's also probably fair to say the Guzzi requires some owner involvement. More involvement = a better Guzzi. :mg:

That sounds like '03-'04 Sport or Ballabio. More comfy than the early Sports. The '99-'01 Red Frame Sports are quicker handling ( also sexy, exotic and desirable :rolleyes:  :P ) but probably take more effort to get the suspension setup right.

Do the Lemans if you're looking for a fairing.

Expect 33-38 mpg.

It's also probably fair to say the Guzzi requires some owner involvement. More involvement = a better Guzzi. :mg:

70955[/snapback]

Thanks, Doc. That helps narrow it down for me. The mpg surprises me. My half ton Venture with full fairing, 1300 cc's, 96 HP, four carbs and performance jetting does better! Do you think the Guzzi's run too rich? Is the valve overlap near to race specs?

I shopped for 5 years for my LeMans (bought a Duc in the interim) and just

checked all my old haunts...e=bay ...MGNOC ...Want Ad...Cycle Trader, etc and found nothing

as of now (this side of the Missisippi) for a Sport or LeMans.

There's this>>> http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/7/78900307.htm

(Trust me...he'd drop a grand off it)

Which is real pretty but I think you can get a 03 LeMans for 7,500 or so before spring

if your patient...

I've got this shopping thing down.

I got my 02 w/ Stucci cross over ..Mistrals,PC III, Gel seat and Tekno bags with

6,400mi on it for $6,400!! (Half retail with $2000 of x-tras)

March is the best time.

I felt the same as you about EFI but I've calmed down...it should work the same as my mini van as far as reliability. The PC III and crosover stuff...I dunno...is it necesary?

:huh2: Love the sound of the Mistrals though....FOOOOBAHHHH!

By the way I get more like 42mpg and expecting more when broken in.

I only have about 17K mi on it. About 200mi/tank 5.5 gal but the last half gallon is for

ballast I hear. :rolleyes:

I doubt it. My suspicion is on poor fuel management. Even with 35+ mpg reported, there are some bikes that show evidence of running too lean. I don't think this is limited to Guzzi, but rather more common among EFI systems.

I don't think of any Guzzi as 'quick handling', although the earlier Sports are quicker than later. Then again, the later models are supposed to have less issues than early models. I have an '01 and I haven't had any issues with it- it's probably more bike specific than general. Then again, then again, any Guzzi is going to be much quicker handling than a Venture. If you want a more upright position, I'd suggest looking a Ballabio or a Le Mans. If you like a more aggressive ride, then one of the earlier Sport variants. They are all reasonably close in mechanics. Do look at suspension, because that's one area where you can get excellent value for your investment.

Other than that, I would say solid lifters are good on a Guzzi. 20+ years and I've never had one fail. And if you get a niggle, you could try scratching it, because shipping to England is kind of expensive.

I love the handling of mine its a oo' but why is it better? shorter wheelbase? different angle/length forks? and Really other than the Obvious Relays and an Unlucky fork seal I've had no problems. Albeit I have almost 10K and thats not really considered 'broken in' compared to the life of a Guzzi. It just baffels my mind how jap bikes tend to either Im-and/or-Explode by 50K, 50k on a goose is just streching its legs. :mg::wub: The only reason I keep considering a harley is for these same reasons.

Thanks, Doc.  That helps narrow it down for me.  The mpg surprises me.  My half ton Venture with full fairing, 1300 cc's, 96 HP, four carbs and performance jetting does better!  Do you think the Guzzi's run too rich?  Is the valve overlap near to race specs?

70969[/snapback]

Wow...a Venture to a sport framed Guzzi?

Thats a serious leap. ..serious leap.. requiring a deep appretiation of the

joy of rubber on the road, carving glorious sweepers, Loving the thunder,

refined braking and geometry of a pretty aggressive track bike.

We love the attack positon...nose to the grind stone...looking for the next

tight corner to set up and throttle hard out of. All day long. Often 5-600 mi. Thats what we paid for..thats what we got. These things when used properly are very "Rider Involved" More physical and more rewarding...which keeps you pushing for the next corner. I don't know if you've ridden or owned anything with clip-ons but it's pretty different. It would take some getting used to but once you do anything like a Voyager feels like a VW pulling a trailer.

Hope I haven't over stated my case...but thats a leap...then again my buddy went from a HD to a Duc and rides the wheels off it...but he's CRAZzzzY

Best wishes -_-

Guest Steve_W
It just baffels my mind how jap bikes tend to either Im-and/or-Explode by 50K, 50k on a goose is just streching its legs.

Baffles my mind, too, since it isn't true. My last two Japanese bikes were an '86 FJ1200, which I sold with 44k, and a '96 VFR750, which had 54k when I sold it. The FJ needed some work (swingarm and steering head bearings) but ran beautifully, didn't burn oil (this was a high-performance air-cooled four, mind you), and easily kept my attention when the joy handle got turned. The VFR needed similar attention, but again, the engine was tight and ran right up to its 12k-rpm redline without problems when I sold it. Neither was anywhere near im-and/or-exploding.

FWIW, my '01 Trophy rolled over 36k before the weather closed in. It's in dire need of a new rear shock but otherwise runs fabulously, and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon. I'd like to add to it, though... :D