Bearing pullers

grossohc

Has anyone used pilot bearing pullers before, I am thinking of changing the bearings on my wheels and these look like a good idea. They sell them on america ebay 4598962511, I would post a link to that page but am clueless om puters. Any input would be appreciated.

Gary :luigi:

While little bearing pullers are readily available and cheap if you want to change wheel bearings it's easier to just use a punch and biff 'em out from the *other* side. Ideally you heat the area they sit in to expand the alloy until they drop out. In reality, given the life of the wheel, biffing 'em out and in is the way to go.

What I would ask is why you are doing it? f they are knackered I'd be looking for a reason. Wheel bearings usually last a very, very long time as long as they aren't dry or the spacer between them isn't munted????

Pete

While little bearing pullers are readily available and cheap if you want to change wheel bearings it's easier to just use a punch and biff 'em out from the *other* side. Ideally you heat the area they sit in to expand the alloy until they drop out. In reality, given the life of the wheel, biffing 'em out and in is the way to go.

What I would ask is why you are doing it? f they are knackered I'd be looking for a reason. Wheel bearings usually last a very, very long time as long as they aren't dry or the spacer between them isn't munted????

Pete

71276[/snapback]

Try telling that to small block owners. My V50's forks were so flexi, I could sometimes change bearings before the tyre was worn out....

m

For the front Marchesini/Brembo V11 OEM wheels you can make the task of popping out the bearings relatively easily:

Remove the brake rotors. Use a heat gun to loosen the rotor carrier bolts and carefully remove them.

There are 3 slots at 120˚ around the hub under the rotor mounts that will allow you to use a very long medium size flat blade screwdriver to drive the bearing on the opposite side out without a great deal of effort.

The rear bearings must have been really easy, I don't even remember how I did them.