Track Days... Moto Guzzi's

Guest jedione68

Guest jedione68

Hello Guzzist,

I posted a TRACK-DAY / GUZZI day thread

on our furom under "Meetings, and Events" section.

If interested click over, get the scoop, and let me/us know.

Peace,

Jedi-OUT

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jedione68
Hello Guzzist,

I posted a TRACK-DAY / GUZZI day thread

on our furom under "Meetings, and Events" section.

If interested click over, get the scoop, and let me/us know.

Peace,

Jedi-OUT

71359[/snapback]

41 veiws and not even a single "I cant make it cause..."

Some crew,

Jedi

41 veiws and not even a single "I cant make it cause..."

Some crew,

Jedi

71413[/snapback]

Okay, just to keep you happy.

I'm the wrong side of the pond.

I'm too fat now for my leathers - over here a requirement for track days.

I'm too much of a tight wad and blow my Guzzi budget on trips and rallies.

KB keeps suggesting that I do one - I corner like a Granny - but I'm basicly chicken.

Good luck anyway.

As above, plus I don't see the point of rushing round trying to disappear up my own chuff. Boring with a capital B. When I get on a bike, I want to improve my road riding skills (riding on a track won't do that) and go somewhere.

mike

Road riding is improved for sure if you do a couple of track days. There would be a similar response in the UK if a member posted details of a track day- few Guzzi riders are that enthusiastic about them- normal reason is the worry of crashing. There is a hardcore however of regular Guzzi track day guys who know how to have a good time, and in some cases are very fast.

Helen did a couple of track days with me a few years ago and she became much better at cornering afterwards and I can say the same for myself.

I'd love to come if I lived in California but it looks as though I will end up in Croft in the freezing rain as usual!

Guy :helmet:

Confidence may be improved but that is not an entirely good thing.

m

71429[/snapback]

Having done exactly one track day I can speak from a paucity of experience (not that it would ever slow me down). The advantage on a track is that you don't have to worry about oncoming traffic, gravel, so you can focus on the corner, or the braking or whatever it is. Tracks are small, so you can reinforce that practice repetitively. That's what improves road riding. You can't directly translate track racing to road, but there are benefits.

I did a track day at Cadwell with Hopp Rider Training, geared to the kind of skills that are transferable to the road, as well as having a free session for simple enjoyment of the track. Highly recommended. I had my Suzuki at the time, but am intending to book up another one for next year to give the V11 a go. Well worth it I say.

Hopp Rider Training

If anyone fancies coming with me, we can tie up a suitable date and book together.

Having done exactly one track day I can speak from a paucity of experience (not that it would ever slow me down).  The advantage on a track is that you don't have to worry about oncoming traffic, gravel, so you can focus on the corner, or the braking or whatever it is.  Tracks are small, so you can reinforce that practice repetitively.  That's what improves road riding.  You can't directly translate track racing to road, but there are benefits.

I agree with all that. And confidence is good to be there , It's everything on how one can learn and what can learn.

Personally I would say that If you have a track session with in mind to explore kind of the limmits of the bike and your abilities that can transfer you to a next level of having a better ability to ride your bike.And in street conditions(that more sencible or normal riding must be applied) if this is achieved there is more confidence and that equals to no panic moments.

Street riding is of cource another situation but knowing how your bike steers and behaves as well as your status (as a rider) is one step forward to safer rides. ;)

I have been wanting/intending to go to track day, only thing holding back so far is a good set leathers and apprehensiveness. I will probably do one with Club desmo with an employee from Moto Italiano this coming year. I think they often go to Buttonwillow. Keep us updated on any potential dates.

-Hal

Hal,

Buy the best gear that you can afford.

MotoGP1.jpgMotoGP2.jpgMotoGP3.jpgMotoGP4.jpg

I had purchased a Moto GP Kangaroo suit ($900) to use for track days and during my crash, the suit is damaged pretty badly. Some of the seams did come apart and it was a blessing that there was no road rash other than on one elbow from the suit moving and the pressure point wearing through the Kangaroo leather (which is suppost to be three times more abrasion resistant than leather). I am also a firm believer in the speed bump and will not go on the track with out one.

Next time out besides a new suit, I will be wearing more inner padding under the suit to protect the pelvic area. :grin:

Anyone want to buy a used suit, just used for 1 1/2 days, broken in well :P

Also riding boots are another must. I had the Sidi boots and they had scuffs in spots that I thought were impossible to scuff. The body can really flex when it is forced to .

See you at the track soon,

Mike

I have been wanting/intending to go to track day, only thing holding back so far is a good set leathers and apprehensiveness. I will probably do one with Club desmo with an employee from Moto Italiano this coming year. I think they often go to Buttonwillow. Keep us updated on any potential dates.

-Hal

71529[/snapback]

Guest jedione68
Okay, just to keep you happy.

I'm the wrong side of the pond.

I'm too fat now for my leathers - over here a requirement for track days.

I'm too much of a tight wad and blow my Guzzi budget on trips and rallies.

KB keeps suggesting that I do one - I corner like a Granny - but I'm basicly chicken.

Good luck anyway.

71415[/snapback]

I can live with having a GIANT pond between us.

gotta give ya the "Good-man" thumbs up