No Fuel Pump, No Start

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

OK, Gents - This here's a first in 27K miles.

I throw myself upon the mercy, wisdom, and experience of the Forum.

The Scenario:

*Turn key (Act I) - no fuel pump, no starter, no solenoid click <_< - but headlight, taillight, inst. lights, neutral and oil indicator lights all come on OK.

*Cycle GEI power relay in & out of socket & all other relays, check fuses - all OK.

*Check battery, get 12.41 v. :( It's the original, 5-yrs. old, won't take a charge. Replace it? No brainer. Done.

*New Hawker Odyssey PC 545 - per search of Forum archives (thanks, Dave!) - reads 12.71 v. :)

*Turn key (Act II) - no fuel pump, no starter, no solenoid click <_< - but headlight, taillight, inst. lights, neutral and oil indicator lights all come on OK.

*Cycle GEI power relay in & out of socket & all other relays, check fuses - all OK.

*Turn key (Act III) - no fuel pump, no starter, no solenoid click <_< - but headlight, taillight, inst. lights, neutral and oil indicator lights all come on OK.

If it please the good graces of the Forum, to expedite the usual brain-numbing circuit tracing over one of Carl's most excellent :notworthy: circuit diagrams :wacko: , I'm looking for a list of stuff to check, preferably in rough order of probable cause?

Many Thanks in advance!

RH

All these have happened to me in 3 occations

a)Faulty sidestand switch

b)Kill switch =off :doh:

c)Try turn on bike with stand on :blush:

I have heared that these v11's have also a switch for the cluch so you have to dissengade clutch always when starting.

I think that's all I got. -_- And I bet for the option a)

Sounds like the ECU might have a problem. First though, just go ahead and replace the ECU fuse and check the bottom of the power and ECU relays to make sure that no pin contacts have gotten forced down. If that doesn't help, find a bud and swap ECU's long enough to determine if that's the problem.

Guest ratchethack
Sounds like the ECU might have a problem. First though, just go ahead and replace the ECU fuse and check the bottom of the power and ECU relays to make sure that no pin contacts have gotten forced down. If that doesn't help, find a bud and swap ECU's long enough to determine if that's the problem.

Thanks, Carl. I was just on my way out to the home shop/moto paddock for a little excursion into the relay block connectors - never seen 'em before, it's one of the few remaining places on the Guz I ain't been yet... :luigi:

EDIT: The relay block was waaaaay too boring. There was just no excitement to be had there whatsoever. So I took y'er advice, Carl - and even though the ECU fuse LOOKS PERFECTLY OK, there's NO continuity across it!!!!!

I shoulda known to check for this, as this kinda Bravo Sierra has happened to me before. :homer:

Replaced it and of course, she fired right up!!

I'm truly grateful! Many Thanks, Carl!

This Forum is the Freakin' New Year Kick-off BOMB! :bier:

Make sure that when you turn on the key and listen for the pump, the bike is in neutral and the kickstand is up. (it is unlikely that both the kickstand and neutral circuitry would both fail)

Hold starter buttton in, clutch in and turn handle bars back and forth.

(In your case this is not likely to start, but an easy test to exclude weirdness)

Look for visible signs of corrosion at relays and fuses.

More likely problems could be diagnosed with some simple probing for 12V:

I would probe the fuses for signs of life.

Fuses 1-5 (ECU, charge, ignition, and headlight)

should be live with key switched both off and on.

Fuses 6-8 (dipped lights, directionals, fuel petcock)

should be live with key switched on.

Probe both sides of fuse to ensure continuity.

To do a quick check of relay connections, just reach under and push up, feeling for loose wires.

You can also probe the relay sockets, but that is getting complicated.

If that all checks out, the ECU is a likely culprit as Carl suggested.

I could swing by this weekend and let you try my ECU.

Guest ratchethack

Many Thanks, Dave, for the thoughtful ideas. I came in from the workshop/moto paddock and EDITED my post above as a reply to Carl while you were posting... :doh:

As it happens, you BOTH nailed it!! :notworthy::notworthy:

Guest ratchethack

Dammit, Docc.....now I'll never get a good night's sleep. Now where's my leftover prescription from that last little "mishap"? :rasta:

Changing the battery - That's the ticket! But I did it strictly according to Hoyle - ground off first, ground back on last...

Dammit! <_<

Any chance the key was turned on when you swapped batteries?

Not likely.

When you swapped, you also would have likely noticed loost battery terminals....

You might want to check the regulator and make sure you don't get more than 14.6V.

ECU grounding? could be.

Maybe one of the loose wires coming off the ECU shorted???

Heck I don't know.

It may have just been a bad fuse.

Thanks, Carl.  I was just on my way out to the home shop/moto paddock for a little excursion into the relay block connectors - never seen 'em before, it's one of the few remaining places on the Guz I ain't been yet... :luigi:

EDIT:  The relay block was waaaaay too boring.  There was just no excitement to be had there whatsoever.  So I took y'er advice, Carl - and even though the ECU fuse LOOKS PERFECTLY OK, there's NO continuity across it!!!!!

I shoulda known to check for this, as this kinda Bravo Sierra has happened to me before. :homer:

Replaced it and of course, she fired right up!!

I'm truly grateful!  Many Thanks, Carl!

This Forum is the Freakin' New Year Kick-off BOMB! :bier:

73157[/snapback]

I tell ya, Ratchethack, If it wasnt for this forum, I would not be riding a Guzzi, and thats no bullshit, I think I would ride a Buell instead of my beloved V 11. Albeit, Ive been riding motorcycles for 37 years, owned almost all brands ,and no bike feels as good as a Guzzi.... never fails to put a smile on my face! :mg: