moving to OZ

Guest jasper

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They want me bad! 60 points fer skill... Look out Oz - you'll never know what hit ya!

Count it to 3 Vancouverites looking to leave. I almost left just before Christmas.

Incredible place to visit but living here has become more and more painful every year. Traffic congestion, housing prices, incompetent government, blah blah blah.

cheers,

Rj

Jasper, I don't think it would be that bad to import your own vehicles into Australia. Mike Wilson said all his friends have done it. Get hold of him, he may be able to get details, the good, the bad and the ugly of it all. As long as your bike is stock at time of export I don't think they could make life that hard for you. Headlight lens is different but I wouldn't think there would be much else different to the Aust. new models.

I might add, Australia is a nice place to visit but as they say here in NZ, there are just too many ..... Australians.

Jasper, good luck with all your endeavours.

Rob

I have fond memories of riding in Australia- the scenery is stunning .

I hired an XT600 and rode from Darwin to Melbourne with about a third of it on unsealed roads- some of the nutty Aussies do these sandy or rocky tracks on road bikes rather than off roaders the madmen. Took 3 and a half weeks to do the trip and we camped in the Bush most nights.

I thought at the time I may move over there but work and women has kept me here so far.

Guy :helmet:

Thanks for all the replies!!

First there is a different way of getting in OZ get your own OZZIE girl there great and will get you in OZ.. (or go as a skilled labourer, i am an environmental engineer and should experience no problems getting in according to the OZ goverenment site. Getting a spousa visa is just easier and cheaper!)

The political climate of OZ is just to funny! All the ozzies i know and have spoken to aren't really found of Johnie howard, still he is in office for quite some time so who is voting for him???? (Holland got a really nice primeministerjust google Balkenende and behold the "dutch harry potter" )

Anyway i want to go to OZ no matter what! I just love the country, love the weather, love the beach and can´t wait to love driving my guzzi there! Thinking about going to Brissie, Gold Coast area or maybe Sunshine Coast all depending on work situation still have to look into that! But important things first, getting my bikes over! as it is looking now prices are about the same as in Holland maybe a bit better so it isn´t completely out of the world taking them with me! Just need to look into how to do that! 1

Thanks everybody and more tips or info on motorcycle :mg: importing to australia is greatly apriciated!

Ciao :cheese:

PS that´s one thing i really like about australians there almost eager helping out people haven´t seen much of the right wing nasty people around!

The problem won't be bringing the bike into the country per-se, you can bring in virtually anything you want as long as it isn't dangerous or likely to be carrying some disease that would decimate our primary industries. The problem will be registering it for road use. To get a bike post '74 registered it needs to have an Australian Compliance Plate affixed to it somewhere. If it doesn't then that is when the jumping through hoops starts and it will be troublesome and expensive. I honestly recommend that you sell and then buy here, and no, I don't sell motorbikes so there is no potential profit motive for me to recommend this course of action.

As for the Oz government I'm more than happy to debate why I think 'Little Johnny' and his government are a mob of dangerous clowns but I'm not going to do it here as it's not the place. My original observation was simply a warning that a european might be a bit nonplussed by the shenanigans of our current crop of ellected leaders that's all.

Pete

Thanks for the reply,

i'll have a good look at the OZ rules and then decide... Thanks for al the advice!

by the way: nothing wrong with the bundy rum it's the coca cola that you mix with it making it bad thing the next morning...

Ciao

jasper

He antonio,

Funny that's exactly what my brother in law sad :nerd: (he got one of those ugly green v11's so i can imagine he wants a nice scura). Good to now where your friends are in times of need :D

But from waht i have learnt so far (all estimates have to get a definite answer) its going to be about 5000 AUS which is rougly 3000 euro just for the paperwork!! so if you now anybody who wants a scura???? Hollands nicest :mg: might be available. :angry::angry::angry: which would break my hard but i have to be a bit sensible about this :huh2: !

Ciao

jasper

Guest golden goose

I migrated to Oz in April of 1989 with a permanent residency visa, which is still valid, so this is dated. I took an '88 R100GS and an '85 K100 std. The '85 went in with almost no duty. I had, correctly as it turned out, estimated the duty on the '88 at $4k AUD. But I skated!

As I walked up to the freight forwarders establishment, I noticed a new, burnt orange R80RT parked there. Probably an employee's bike, but I did think "Wouldn't it be cool if the customs agent rode that bike?". I was directed by the receptionist to the last inspector's cubicle in the row reserved for them. He wasn't there at the moment, but on the desk return was a helmet and set of gloves.

Score!

He arrived shortly, and he was a real pleasant bloke. When he realized I was "the yank with those two BM beauts!", he sat down with a smile. After telling some riding lies, we settled down to the paperwork for all my worldly belongings just arrived in their own container from the States. He related that I would have to change my headlight lens, which was configured to deliver a higher angle than flat, on low beam to the right of the road (oncoming traffic down-under), with an Oz spec. one canted to the left (to better illuminate the roadside), and the turn lenses as well. All of which, he attested to on the forms, that I had already done. On the bikes, he consulted some manuals, worked on a form and calculator, and then ciphered a little over $5k AUD for both bikes, $4k for the GS and $1k for the K. When he arrived at that number, he sat back a bit, and said "That's not right!" He then did some stuff on the form, struck through the mil number, and wrote $500 in its place. I couldn't get my checkbook out fast enough!

We chatted on, as after he had cleared everything and the bikes the forwarder's employees were transferring to the rental utility van, about the roads in NSW, the road laws etc. etc. And we agreed to do some rides. Which we did lots of.

The duty then was figured on the value of the bike as if purchased in Oz on the date of its sale where you bought it. Back then, older than 5 years was zero duty. But the scale was steep on younger road machinery. There was also the tax. I paid 8.25% in CA for the GS when I bought it. In Oz, the rate was 20%. By the rules, I would have had to pay 11.5% of the purchase price of the bike (that % of $8.5kUS converted to AUD). So entry would not have been cheap at all if I had not had the incredible luck of a fellow Beemer rider as a customs agent.

While there, I did the Red Center run on the GS, the Blue Mtns. to the Kimberley's nd back around the top to Sydney. Numerous rides in the outback of NSw on the GS, and innumerable rides on the K in these eastern states as well as an Oz loop on Hwy. 1.

Of particular note was the Glen Innes Hwy. Head north out of Sydney on 1 to Grafton. Numerous pubs were there in '90 where you could get right. Next day, ride to Glen Innes on one of the most memorable rides of my life, which I did frequently, to the outback town of Glen Innes. I always stayed at the pub, regardless of where my K took me. Camping was the rule on the GS

But while in Oz, I noted the prevalence of Guzzi's, Duc's, and of course BMW's. Many of my Aussie rider friends had a Goose or a Bimmer. Aussie's know quality when they see it. And they will pay to have it.

You will never regret your decision to migrate there. I met my wife there, amongst numerous fine memories, and would not hesitate to go back. A most wonderful moment of my life. Aussies rock!

Ye old,

Golden Goose

I heard somewhere OZ has a 10to1 odds of becoming part of the USA in the next 20 years. Canada I think was 20to1, There were others on the list I wish I could find it. They sited weak national pride and governments (or something of the sort) I had a good laugh. :grin:

Jasper, 3000 euro for the paperwork to get your Scura into Australia?? Someone must be kidding you. Have a look at our N.Z. regulations that apply to importing a motorcycle from Europe. If you were arriving here to live permanently, you would have to pay no taxes of any sort. To put your bike on the road here, all you would have to do, is change the headlight lens, then pay the inspection fees. This, including your headlight lens, would cost somewhere in the order of 360 euro which includes 12 months registration. Here are two links to look at.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Moto...arges+Apply.htm

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infos...sheet-1-67.html

Rob

I recently looked into whats involved with importing a MGS-01 (the secound hand one from the UK). Obiously not to many road worthy problems with a track bike. I had to aquire an import liecencse which was the princly sum of $50 then had to prove I was ethier going to race it or display it as a unique machine. With my motard efforts I have a couple of meets with the historics to my name I can wander round in the thunder bike class for a couple of meets and then disappear into obscurity. I also had to pay GST which was %10 of the purchase price which worked out at around 3-4K on the MGS-01. I don't see how a Scura athogh a nice bike not an anyway worth what a MGS-01 would be 5k. There also used to be a system of personal import where if you could show that its your bike and you have owned it for over a staturary time (think it was around 6 months) it came in duty free. Athough I'm already here so things might be different.

:thumbsup: you got it right jasper. bundys great, but overdose of suger :vomit:

Thanks for the reply,

i'll have a good look at the OZ rules and then decide... Thanks for al the advice!

by the way: nothing wrong with the bundy rum it's the coca cola that you mix with it making it bad thing the next morning...

Ciao

jasper

74327[/snapback]