V-11 Sport Oil Pan problem

rower307

I'm the new owner of a 2000 V-11 Sport. Tried to drop the pan today. Removed 14 hex screws & hose fitting, did not remove the oil filter access cover 'cause I don't have a wrench that big. The pan won't budge. I looked underneath with a mirror, don't see anything else holding it. Tapped around it with a plastic hammer, then tried a brass drift & plastic hammer on the projection at right rear of pan. A piece of it broke off, & I gave up...Advice needed. Thanks.

Check again to make sure you've gotten all the hex head bolts out first. Theres at least 1 or 2 thats kind of hard to see at first. The pan should fall right off with the last bolt.

Edit: I just checked my bike & there are 14 bolts as you said. The previous owner must have used some kind of gasket sealer on the pan. Proceed with caution lol

Don't discount the possibility that a previous owner coated both sides of the gasket with hermetite red or other hard setting gasket compound.

A common bodge and a pain in the ass for the next person who needs to get the pan off.

I'm the new owner of a 2000 V-11 Sport. Tried to drop the pan today. Removed 14 hex screws & hose fitting, did not remove the oil filter access cover 'cause I don't have a wrench that big. The pan won't budge. I looked underneath with a mirror, don't see anything else holding it. Tapped around it with a plastic hammer, then tried a brass drift & plastic hammer on the projection at right rear of pan. A piece of it broke off, & I gave up...Advice needed. Thanks.

75214[/snapback]

Hi

I took my oil pan off for a oil and filter change and it practically fell off once the oil hose and 14 screws were off, on my pan at the front and back there is a couple of "lips" protrusions maybe you could prise the pan off with adriver against the lip of the pan and against the exhaust at the back and against the oil hose union at the front but go gently, or you could you could wait for a reply from one of the seasoned pro,s to give you advice.

Gary

If you have been "gasket gummed" here's how to go about getting it off:

Obtain some methylene chloride, sold as "Nitromors Original" paint and varnish stripper. This is the thin liquid one in the yellow tin.

Resign yourself to losing some paint around the pan flange. If your V11 is anything like mine its all gone by now anyway.

Using an artists brush, paint the gasket line with the stripper, it should "wick" into the joint quite readily.

Do this every 10 minutes for 5 or 6 applications or until you are happy a fair bit has gone in.

Go and have a beer for an hour.

Get one of the trapezoidal Stanley craft knife blades and carefully tap this into the joint line at one corner. Make sure the blade edge is going into the gasket not the ally. The pan should pop off.

Use more stripper and a blunt scraper to clean the gunge off both faces.

Assemble your new gasket with a smear of bearing grease.

Check again to make sure you've gotten all the hex head bolts out first. Theres at least 1 or 2 thats kind of hard to see at first. The pan should fall right off with the last bolt.

Edit: I just checked my bike & there are 14 bolts as you said. The previous owner must have used some kind of gasket sealer on the pan. Proceed with caution lol

75221[/snapback]

Is it necessary to remove the filter before the pan will come off? Or is the filter up inside the pan? I'm having trouble picturing the configuration.

If you have been "gasket gummed" here's how to go about getting it off:

Obtain some methylene chloride, sold as "Nitromors Original" paint and varnish stripper. This is the thin liquid one in the yellow tin.

Resign yourself to losing some paint around the pan flange. If your V11 is anything like mine its all gone by now anyway.

Using an artists brush, paint the gasket line with the stripper, it should "wick" into the joint quite readily.

Do this every 10 minutes for 5 or 6 applications or until you are happy a fair bit has gone in.

Go and have a beer for an hour.

Get one of the trapezoidal Stanley craft knife blades and carefully tap this into the joint line at one corner. Make sure the blade edge is going into the gasket not the ally. The pan should pop off.

Use more stripper and a blunt scraper to clean the gunge off both faces.

Assemble your new gasket with a smear of bearing grease.

75229[/snapback]

Or the quick way is to whack the f**ker with a huge rubber mallet.

Guy :helmet:

To remove the oil filter, stick a screwdriver in it with determination and turn him off!

The new oil filter can you turn in only with the hand.

For this operation you do not need to remove your pan at all. :2c:

I don’t know why it does to have made that difficult if it could be easy….

75216[/snapback]

HuH?

Or the quick way is to whack the f**ker with a huge rubber mallet.

Guy  :helmet:

75244[/snapback]

You are lucky the word rubber is in this sentence...... or it would have been a bodge point.

Is it necessary to remove the filter before the pan will come off? Or is the filter up inside the pan? I'm having trouble picturing the configuration.

75241[/snapback]

The filter is inside the pan. Once you get the pan off you'll be able to see what the deal is. I agree with the rubber mallet idea, if you dont have one use a block of wood & a hammer to tap on the pan. Oh & btw you need to get a new gasket before you even start to take the pan off. Theres obviously something wrong with the gasket thats in there now & when you get the pan off it will definitely be in need of replacement. :luigi:

I'm afraid taking the pan off is something you will eventually need to do even if you do manage to change the oil filter without removing the pan. There is a screen inside that should be cleaned periodically (sludge...er, pasta builds up on it over time).

Me, I'd probably try combining a couple of the above suggestions. Go with the "paint and varnish stripper" procedure...then "whack the f**ker with a huge rubber mallet!" ;)

Good luck!

:luigi::luigi:

75241[/snapback]

Negative, you do not have to remove the oil filter in order to remove the pan. The oil filter access is provided so the pan does not have to be removed everytime you change the filter, although removing the pan is recommended in order to clean the screen around the pickup tube. It really sounds like a previous owner glued the old gasket on both sides as many here have said...a heatgun or the wife/significant other's high power hair dryer might help loosen the grip a little. Good luck. :luigi: k