new jacket, textile or leather???

wheelsucker

I need a new jacket and was wondering what the differences vs benefits of leather vs textile jackets are? Can anyone shed some light on this? I live in the D.C. area and do every kind of riding from cruising to 2 or 3 day tours. thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a new jacket and was wondering what the differences vs benefits of leather vs textile jackets are?  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I live in the D.C. area and do every kind of riding from cruising to 2 or 3 day tours.  thanks.

75275[/snapback]

I suggest textile. I learned that leather is equal to about 7 layers of skin and textile is said to be equal to 13 layers. A sick comparison but padded textile is better for road use. Race guys have different motivations and will no doubt have a geat deal of info. I use both but always use textile for long touring trips because of the excellent rain protection offered.

P.S. Buy that Guzzi your thinking about!

Textile...

I have a dear leather jacket but feel like a neandrathal.....

Just one word. RAIN Says it all.

Then again all my pals have Gucci textile stuff and always dig out thier Frogg Toggs

the same time I do....Still this IS 2006

I like the textile too. I have a couple jackets; an air mesh with inserts for summer and a waterproof with liner and inserts when cold/wet. Also have textile pants with inserts when doing the long ones. I've ben down once with the textile and know the armour inserts prevented a broken arm after nerfing off an SUV. It was bruised alright but elbo and sholder protection was spot on. :2c:

Well, it looks like I am the only one so far that likes leather. When it is cold, I just put on more layers under the leather. For being water proof, a textile jacket could be better. Seems like the textile and leather jackets leak through at the seams (still need a rain suit either way). :bbblll: When it is hot out, leather is not that bad as long as you are moving. I have been in 110 degree heat in full leathers with no ill effects. Can you say sauna under the leathers. I mainly prefer leathers for their protection (abrasion resistance), I also like the fact that they do not act as a sail in the wind or at speed.

Mike

I need a new jacket and was wondering what the differences vs benefits of leather vs textile jackets are?  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I live in the D.C. area and do every kind of riding from cruising to 2 or 3 day tours.  thanks.

75275[/snapback]

For local 'cafe' riding in predictable weather I love my Z-leathers. Custom fit , no flap, and armor.

80% of the time I use my Aerostich Roadcrafter ( DON'T get red). It's versatile, waterproof and comfortable. I can wear my office clothes under for commutes to the office or Gerbings electrics to extend the season. Plus it has good armor.

Did I mention the armor?

For local 'cafe' riding in predictable weather I love my Z-leathers. Custom fit , no flap, and armor.

80% of the time I use my Aerostich Roadcrafter ( DON'T get red). It's versatile, waterproof and comfortable. I can wear my office clothes under for commutes to the office or Gerbings electrics to extend the season. Plus it has good armor.

Did I mention the armor?

75286[/snapback]

Geez Docc,

Why not red for an Aerostitch? Fading I'm thinking. I might add that blue fades too.

Leather and textile both have negatives and positives of course. I have hanging in my closet waxed cotton, leather 2 piece, polyurathane coated gortex, and non polyurethane coated gortex. What's this poly coating you say? It's the difference between your textile jacket melting to you or not! Poly coated jackets will melt to your skin if heated from friction as you skid along. I've seen it happen, and it made my cast iron stomach turn.

To the best of my knowledge, only one manufacturer, [1], uses 100% non - poly Gortex in their garments, and that's Motoport/Cycleport, out of Carlsbad, Ca. Plus the fact that they are the only maker using 1000 Cordura, this suit is HD [heavy duty]! The only contenders are Aerostitch, which use non poly 600 Gortex, with 1000 'poly coated' Gortex on the impact areas. BMW, and Rukka are the only others worth mentioning. They use a material called Armacor in their high end suits which is a blend of Gortex cordura and Kevlar, incredible stuff. The best of the bunch in fact, but the price for Armacor is dear.

Ciao, Steve G.

I have wardrobe full of bike gear:

Frank Thomas gore tex lined quilted two piece- ace in the winter really snug

Hein Gericke 2 piece summer fabric Maxwell suit- loads of air vents to keep you cool but no waterproofing- need to wear waterproofs over the top if it rains

A couple of leather one piece race suits for track days

Hood armoured jeans- denim, lined with kevlar with Knox knee and hip protectors

A leather jacket to go with jeans (if I am going for a short dry trip to the shops / pub etc)

All these have back protectors and armour

May sound over the top but having the right gear for the conditions is crucial if you are to really enjoy your biking. I will be riding through Death Valley in July- that may be one occasion where I wear a t shirt and jeans!

Guy :helmet:

While I appreciate textiles for their lightness and water resistance, there are a few things I don't like about them.

1) that claim of being more abrasion resistant than leather. I don't think so, but I am sure kevlar will hold up better than fashion leather.

2) the claim Nylon holds up for years while leather weakens. I don't think so. My five year old nylon jacket is showing signs that it won't hold up as well in a crash while my 15+ year old leather jacket looks new except for where I leaned up against a wall of foamy graphetti remover.

3) My buddy threw his kevlar one piece in the wash and it was abrasive against itself, tearing holes in it. So, I would recommend hand cleaning kevlar with detergent, brush and a hose, despite the claim that it is machine washable.

I really want one of Cycleport's airmesh kevlar jackets.

I don't think anything comes close for abrasion resistance in mesh textile.

http://www.motoport.com/

PS as far as I know they are in Escondido not neighboring Carlsbad...but they may have moved or have more than one location...after all they have more than one name.

I guess they just can't get the domain cycleport.com and note it is port not sport...

I think textile jackets get better every year, and I guess the high end ones are approaching the protection levels of leather. I have both, and my leather gear is certainly more confidence inspiring when it comes to the thought of falling off. However, my leathers are gathering dust. It is too convenient to throw on my dayglo textile touring suit with its removable insulation and many easy to access pockets and it is still waterproof without an oversuit after 3 seasons. I may replace it with another before next winter.

The leathers are really just for really hot weather and trackdays.

I think textile jackets get better every year, and I guess the high end ones are approaching the protection levels of leather.

They do get better, but they are not approaching leather in terms of protection.

For slow speed communiting and dirt/gravel tracks I too use textile,

but never if there is a risk of high speed contact with tarmac.

It all about risk evaluation,

riding a motorbike is not without risks anyhow,

me weight the risks against to the fun/thrill/freedom be get from riding.

self-deception does not make for rational decision.

That said,

riding in rain in unprotected leathers do make you cold, loosing focus and

less agile. Probably safer with goretex gear in that case.

Well, it looks like I am the only one so far that likes leather.  When it is cold, I just put on more layers under the leather.  For being water proof, a textile jacket could be better.  Mike

Well I am actually moe fond of leathers as well.there is no such thing as total waterproof (especially if exposed to extendet time in the rain).The best is to hve this light nylon thingie overcoat to wear over the outfit you are having.

It's a matter of taste

It's alo a matter of appearence.I like the appearence of the leathrs an to tell you the truth I feel safer in leathers than in textiles, perhaps cause leathers are a bit tighter in fit than textiles.

Then textiles for the same reason can be a bit more comfortable, and practical due to the fact that they usually have more pockets than leathers.

About heat , yes only a good vented leather(i.e.like this or this-only this color there are many others here only an example-I have the alpine stars an is great for mid and mid high temps 20-30C') will be effective, and of cource only a summer specs textile will do the job.

:2c: The above are examples ,have shoped from this ebayer and was so trustworthy :thumbsup: I spent some $$$ in his offered supplies :blush: . He Had better prices last summer (about 15-20 less) so if one wants to shop might consider this in the offer thingie and not 'buy it now' oppt.

It's a matter of quality and performance

It all then comes to the quality of the leathers and textile with the textiles winning in price.But then again the other day I was wearing this oxford material made jacket and just a touch to my front exaust pipes burned the s%%t out of it, that would never happen to a leather.

Go for quality products and don't compromise on that, you'll year it and it will protect you

I preffer leather for longer tours and sport riding, if it rains I´´ll wear my ''boolet proof' rain coats on (alo protects from cold and or high moisture enviroments :thumbsup: ) And for everyday I usually have this textile

I wear Alpinestars and Hein-gerike stuff as these are the ones I find best in styling&performance ,that#s my :2c:

Might consider checking this out Prodigium since they have a good discound prices on Moto Guzzi clothing (excellent quality stff)and accesories (also the titanium mufflers)