Would you take a chance

Guest PJBrendel

Guest PJBrendel

I do not currently own a Guzzi, but I want one. I think the V11 models are one of the coolest looking bikes ever produced. I'm especially interested in the Ballabio or Cafe Sport due to the higher bars. Their is a 2004 Cafe Sport on cycle trader for 8k. The bike is at a BMW dealer in Virginia, low miles, mint, but no warranty. (I realize that this bike may not be there after this post)

Would you take a chance on this bike or wait for something local? I don't do my own work so I'll need to find a mechanic on Long Island NY that works on Guzzis (I already posted the mechanic question on Wild Guzzi and got some possibilities). So what would you do? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I do not currently own a Guzzi, but I want one.  I think the V11 models are one of the coolest looking bikes ever produced.  I'm especially interested in the Ballabio or Cafe Sport due to the higher bars.  Their is a 2004 Cafe Sport on cycle trader for 8k.  The bike is at a BMW dealer in Virginia, low miles, mint, but no warranty.  (I realize that this bike may not be there after this post)

Would you take a chance on this bike or wait for something local?  I don't do my own work so I'll need to find a mechanic on Long Island NY that works on Guzzis (I already posted the mechanic question on Wild Guzzi and got some possibilities).  So what would you do?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Paul

75857[/snapback]

Don't sweat it any mechanic can work on a guzzi, I've heard you only need two tools to work on a one anyway

4641Large.jpg

:ninja:

Paul,

Guzzis are a wonderous connection to reality. Plan on getting your hands dirty. Knowing how to use a Volt-Ohm Meter is good.

My Sport would not be running without this forum( 41,000 miles ).

In the end, there is no substitute for the wonder, the exhiliration , which is Guzzi. :mg:

It sounds like you are considering buying the bike without ever having ridden a Guzzi?

I recently (< 2 months ago) bought a '04 Ballabio for cheap in Seattle. I didn't get it for much less than what they're asking for that Cafe Sport, and had I had that deal, I'd have definitely bought it, no question. The Cafe has the Ohlins suspension... it's a nice plus.

I was the same way, going strictly by their looks... there's nothing like them around aesthetically, and if you like exclusivity... you picked the right brand.

BUT (there's always a but isn't there :) )... I would HIGHLY recommend you test ride one before you buy if at all possible. When I walked into my local dealer here in Oregon and said I wanted a Ballabio, the first thing he said was.. "I don't have one, go to Seattle".... then the second thing he said was "Have you ever ridden a Guzzi?"

He then went on to compare riding a Guzzi to hunting with a bow and arrow, as opposed to a modern sport bike is more like hunting with a rifle... then he told me that a good chunk of people who ride a Guzzi are disappointed by it because it wasn't what they expected. I decided to take his advice and test rode a local V11 sport for sale (it was white and pretty sweet, I almost bought that instead). When I got back the first thing I thought was the dealer was right, that it was nothing like I expected it to be. Then I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I bought one.

Even though I wound up loving it, I'm really glad I took that test ride... it gave me what I needed to feel good about buying a Guzzi.

Good luck, and that is a SWEET deal. It is weird that an '04 model doesn't have warranty though. I thought warranties were transferrable... was it in a wreck or something?

Jose

I do not currently own a Guzzi, but I want one.  I think the V11 models are one of the coolest looking bikes ever produced.  I'm especially interested in the Ballabio or Cafe Sport due to the higher bars.  Their is a 2004 Cafe Sport on cycle trader for 8k.  The bike is at a BMW dealer in Virginia, low miles, mint, but no warranty.  (I realize that this bike may not be there after this post)

Would you take a chance on this bike or wait for something local?  I don't do my own work so I'll need to find a mechanic on Long Island NY that works on Guzzis (I already posted the mechanic question on Wild Guzzi and got some possibilities).  So what would you do?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Paul

75857[/snapback]

... I would HIGHLY recommend you test ride one before you buy if at all possible.  ..

I'm with Jose. Guzzis are different. They expect something back off you. Some of us love em - but some can't see the point. Make it a long test ride - takes a while sometimes...

:thumbsup: KB :sun:

I love my Sport :wub: . I'm not sure I would feel the same without the excellent warranty service that helped me sort the bike over a three year period.

I hate writing stuff like that. Too easy for people to look and say, " It took you three years to sort a brand new bike? You must be crazy."

Well, #1, probably am crazy. :grin:

#2, I know many Other-Brand riders who've traded twice in that period of time.

#3, been married 19 years, still sorting but not giving up.

#4, probably am crazy. :grin:

..and although you can use the same biek to do lots of different types of riding. I think one proof might be that i am obsessively looking for another V11 or 2 so that i can have a dedicated track bike, my current cafe'd V11 and then a long distance Sports tourer.

Could the same bike do it all YEAH but variety is good as long as it has the same motor in it :)

Guest PJBrendel

Thanks for all of the input. It's true that I've never riden a Guzzi. Test rides are almost impossible here on LI, especially for a Guzzi. I saw someone ride one in a video though and it looked like a really cool ride (I buy all my stuff that way). The bike looks like such a blast to ride. I basically only ride to the beach on sunny days, about 100 miles round trip. So I can pretty much use any bike that will get me on the parkway safely, and cruise comfortably at 70 mph. I currently own a BMW R1200C, it's my first bike but I don't like the feet forward position so I'm looking to replace it with a bike that has a more standard seating position. I called the dealer and he claims the bike is in great shape and the previous owner traded it in for a new BMW. It would cost about $500 to get the bike shipped up to NY. Anyone out there interested in an R1200C at a really good price?