L.E.D indicators V11

Guest jim fordham

Guest jim fordham

I've just stripped all the plastic , back light and indicators off my 2005 v11 scura , and fitted a LED back light and mini indicators. The back light works fine but the indicators just light up and don't flash . I tried a normal mini indicator and that worked fine , so worst case i will just have to buy some. Has anyone any idea on how to get the LED one's to work , I remember something about fitting resistor's but I am not sure what size or if this is the right way to go?? -_-

There are two types of flasher units. Resistive and electronic. You need electronic because the resistance of an LED is bugger all and won't cause the contact in the resistive flasher unit to make and break.

Cheers

Bill

The current consumed by a LED lamp is very low compared with an incandescent bulb, so your LED indicators present a very high resistance to the circuit. You can make the LEDs work with any flasher by putting a parallel resistor to fool the flasher into thinking it has a bulb. If your current flashers are 21W on 12V, Watts = Vsquared/R therefore R = V2/W = 144/21 = 6.85 Ohms.

You will be ok with a 10 ohm resistor, but it needs to be a 20 Watt wirewound jobby.

Some have said that they found 1156 LEDs with a load equalizer/balancer built in (Instead of splicing one in and finding a piece of frame to heat-sink it to). Does anyone have any specific part # LED's that they've had success with? I have a Kissan turn signal module....I wonder how LED's would affect it....it may act as an electronic flasher and not care about the load. As soon as I find a good set of 1156 LEDs, I'll give it a try.

Guest jim fordham

I'am going to try the 10ohm ristors first and go from there. Its a real pain as it all locks the billy's and its all fitted . Will post a pic soon.

many thanks chaps

jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jim fordham

They live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitted a 10ohm 10 watt resistor to each rear indi and bingo they work and flash at about the right pace. (although I did blow the odd fuse and nearly melt the back of the undertray with my soldering iron!).

total cost of fix 28p from maplins elec.

thank you chaps :D

They live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitted a 10ohm 10 watt resistor to each rear indi and bingo they work and flash at about the right pace. (although I did blow the odd fuse and nearly melt the back of the undertray with my soldering iron!).

total cost of fix 28p from maplins elec.

thank you chaps :D

78623[/snapback]

You're most welcome.

(Although this is being considered for a bodge point and may have to go forward for a members' vote)

You're most welcome.

(Although this is being considered for a bodge point and may have to go forward for a members' vote)

78675[/snapback]

Won't that (in this case) depend on the quality of the work? E.g. if the indicator fails due to an improperly strapped resistor wire breaking. Or if he really did burn a hole with his soldering iron.

Just doing the job can't really be considered a bodge - it's a standard electronic procedure.

We need pictures.

m

You're most welcome.

78675[/snapback]

I think a bodge would have been having normal indicator bulbs wired in and working hidden under the seat to provide the resistance and the Led indicators wired in for show :luigi:

Guest jim fordham

I feel I have earnt A bodge point , it all looks well dodgy under the seat. Will post a pic for the judges!

How many bodge points do I need to enter The Hut!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did nearly go down the road of hiding a second set under the seat unit but the bloody things wouldn,t flash ( the ones under the seat did?)

My only problem could be if I leave them on for to long the resister might heat up and melt through the under tray ( is that covered by waurranty , or is it only factory bodges that count)

jim bodgarilla :bbblll: