twisted crankcase?

beauchemin

I've just noticed that the left cylinder head appears to be forward of the right cylinder head (when looking down) by about 1.68cm. What's happened? I admit that I revved it pretty hard last night, could I have bent the crankcase or something?

God's teeth??? Have you only just noticed??? How long have you owned the bike???

Yes, one cylinder is forward of the other becuase the connecting rods are side by side on a common crankpin. Have a look at my engine rebuild thingy on Guzzitech dk and you can see why the offset is there, one rod runs in front of the other so there has to be an offset in the cylinders to compenste. The only way to prevent that being neccesary is to use a rolling element bottom end :vomit: a-la Hardly Rideable. Obsolete, piss weak and technically inferior.

Pete

And to add to the eccentricity , the whole driveline is set off to the right of the frame's centerline something like 12 mm.

We are an eccentric bunch. And our bikes, too! :rasta:

Guest ratchethack

Whoa there! I think Chris has a real problem. The RIGHT cylinder head is supposed to be ahead of the LEFT looking down from seated on the bike.

Evidently, Chris has a LEFT-Leading motor! :homer:

But leave us not be alarmed, Gents. -_-

We assume that this, as all LEFT-leading concepts, is self-limiting in nature! :lol:

No, Left-leading concepts lead to harmony, unless of course the Right gets all paranoid and starts killin' and shit.

One thing that we should be grateful for is that our V11sixspeed, like the press, is not as offset to the Right as is the V1100Sport and GWB.

But unfortunately we all get shafted from the Right. Perhaps Guzzi meant it as a metaphor about Fascism. :huh2:

I promised myself I'd stay off ' 24/7 V11 ' because of the divisiveness which pervades the non-v11 threads in that forum.

I thought I would be safe over here talking about injectors and viscosity. . . :angry:

I've just noticed that the left cylinder head appears to be forward of the right cylinder head (when looking down) by about 1.68cm. What's happened?  I admit that I revved it pretty hard last night, could I have bent the crankcase or something?

80541[/snapback]

Thanks for that beauchemin, I'm still pissin myself laughing. :D:D:D

left or right? it depends on your point of view (when looking down)

amazing measurement about 1.68cm :bier:

And to add to the eccentricity , the whole driveline is set off to the right of the frame's centerline something like 12 mm.

We are an eccentric bunch. And our bikes, too! :rasta:

80585[/snapback]

Actually thats only on the older spine frame with the five speed gearbox sport 1100's Daytona's etc etc. The V11's are centrally mounted, It was done to get the shaft around the more modern wider rear tyres. The six speed gearbox's output shaft is offset a further 30mm when compared tot he older five speeds.

Whoa there!  I think Chris has a real problem.  The RIGHT cylinder head is supposed to be ahead of the LEFT looking down from seated on the bike.

OK, so I said LEFT, when I meant RIGHT... now you're getting technical!

Actually thats only on the older spine frame with the five speed gearbox sport 1100's Daytona's etc etc. The V11's are centrally mounted, It was done to get the shaft around the more modern wider rear tyres. The six speed gearbox's output shaft is offset a further 30mm when compared tot he older five speeds.

80665[/snapback]

I had thought the older spines were offset more but that these still retained some.

The frame schematic shows the offset of the porkchops 8mm to the right. And my front subframe mounts to the engine are asymmetric. Not by the 12mm but more like the 8mm shown in the frame schematic. :huh2:

Yes, I knew that fancy digital micrometer would come in handy one day...

80677[/snapback]

Micrometers are supposed to eliminate the 'about' scenario :bbblll:

BTW If yours is calibrated in centimetres I would take it back. :huh:

Nige. B):D