New wheels?

Bbennett

The advantage that spokers have always had has been their significantly lighter weight vs. cast/forged "mag" [1] wheels.

85485[/snapback]

Not to mention being stronger, weight for weight. Oh, and easily repairable.

They are a bugger to clean, though....

In the UK, there are (AFAIK) no legal standards for spoked wheels. For cast, there are requirements for the metals used, the casting process, the machining, not to mention design.

m

I have thought about making my Jackal wheels tubeless by going to: http://www.wheel-works.com/ , $59.00 per wheel to turn your tubed wire wheels into tubeless.  Less weight, no worries about flat repairs (can plug tubeless tires on the road).  Well, after mounting many tubeless tires (can be a pain in the arse) to brake the tubeless tire bead and then dismounting the tubed tires on the Jackal, what I do not trust is that the tire to rim interference is not too great.  Meaning that the tubeless tire fits rather loose on the tubed rim.  If you do get a flat, I worry about the tire losing all it's air and the tire coming loose from the rim.  Humm, rim hits pavement then so does the rider.

Just my thoughs after two Martini's,

Mike

85507[/snapback]

I agree. Do you know how they accomplish this? Tube type rim flanges are a different profile and not designed to make an air-tight seal.

And I've only had a couple of beers.

The day before yesterday I got a huge tax refund over 2004... hehe

85531[/snapback]

Hi Jaap,

if you're about to bin your dishy OZ wheels let me know, alright?

Cheers

Søren