Name of bike.

What was this bike billed as when introduced!

What achievement did the founder of the company accomplish in 1914. (Not neccesary for point!)

quiz75043dt.jpg

85071[/snapback]

Ascot Pullin. The Rolls Royce of motorcycles.

Won the TT?

Point me up!

That would be Brough Superior. They even had assent from Rolls Royce to use that line!

Yes he did win the Senior Isle of Man TT in 1914.

85076[/snapback]

I'm sure Cyril used it and got pulled almost immediately. Nowt in Gurgle, so I'll have to (gasp!) look in a book when I get home.

m

Yes, it's an Ascot-Pullin

I know this one, as I compiled a little list of 'Centauro forerunners' as per the original picture I posted elsewhere, and this bike is in my list. :)

ascot_pullin.jpg

want to see the others?

This is a nice pic of it:

ascot.jpg

Re Mike Wilson's point (sic) yesterday about the innovations found in these old odd-balls:

this bike had the first ever hydraulic brakes :!:

..lad won T.T. race, he did. At an average speed of 49.486 m.p.h.

pullin.jpg

"No, I had no trouble whatever" he said, "I just sat on the machine, and the engine and multi gear did the rest. I never knew where I was in the race, and I was never passed, excepting at the depot. The wind was tremendous. I attribute my success to the wonderful powers of the multi gear."

We have never in any race, and very seldom on the road, seen a machine in such a spotless condition. There was literally not a speck of oil on the crankcase, whilst the belt was in perfect condition. The undrilled top ringed piston had just a nice film of oil on its head, and really astonished Major Lloyd and Professor Sharpe by its fine condition. (Extract from Motor Cycling)

racer.jpg

...It differed from standard in having a higher compression ratio (4:1), a 5% nickel steel inlet valve with a shrouded neck. Cams were ground to give an inlet opening at 5o BTDC, closing at 37o after. The exhaust opened at 47o before BDC and closed 20o after. Flywheels were polished and loaded in the rim to balance 45% of the reciprocating mass. A lightened connecting rod carried needle roller big end bearings, but a plain little end bush. The cast iron piston was carefully lightened, and two 1/8 ins piston rings fitted. Piston clearance was made almost double that recommended by contemporary engineers.....and this proved advantageous. 3000 rpm and 80 mph (on the level) could be obtained.

I knew that...

85116[/snapback]

You couldn't be bothered to finish the sentence? Dozed off? Too much cheap wine? Or quizzes just too trying? I sympathise.

I haven't gotten confirmation from jim but I pointed BFG, his answer looks more than correct. but I could be wrong.  :huh2:

85440[/snapback]

Check post 2 8-)

Still looking for confirmation of the advertising slogan.

In which case, it's all mine.

Bwahahahahah!!!!!

The New wonder Motorcycle

85437[/snapback]

I have to say that you deserve the point as you are the only one who has supplied all the correct answers necessary for the quiz. Everyone else has merely repeated parts of the answer. Unfortunately it seems the quizmaster has other ideas so I am very sorry that you have not recieved the point you deserve.

I have to say that you deserve the point as you are the only one who has supplied all the correct answers necessary for the quiz. Everyone else has merely repeated parts of the answer. Unfortunately it seems the quizmaster has other ideas so I am very sorry that you have not recieved the point you deserve.

85483[/snapback]

Fine then, FINE 2 points awarded this round. I'm not into taking points away.