Bike doesn't start

dmoon64

Sidestand down. Turn Key on. Neutral light on, Cutoff button pressed, fuel pump cycles and the tach needle jumps. When I press the starter switch, nothing happens. The tach needle will jump and you can hear a click but no starter.

Yesterday cutoff twice while in traffic and once on the interstate, while I was trying to get home. Spent 30 mins messing with it in a Walgreens parking lot. Of course a gaggle of HD's decided they needed something at that time.

What does the collective think?

Guest PAULSMART

ERR....before someone posts the correct answer!!!!!, I would fiddle with the relays, perhaps swap them around. :2c:

Similar things have happened to me, and the above has always sorted it out.

Paul

. . . you can hear a click but no starter.

85615[/snapback]

That sounds like low battery voltage. If there was no click I would say clutch switch.

It started right up when I got home, but cut out while riding. It started fine this morning and ran fine on my 30 mile commute. Do the relays go bad and stay bad or do they work sometimes?

Thanks,

Darryl

Call me crazy, but is sounds like the clutch switch wiring problem we had at the connectors under the fuel tank. Being a 2003, I don't believe they had relay problems unless it is a late 2002 being sold as an 03.

Next time it acts up, while the clutch lever is pulled in, push in on the starter button while rotating the bars lock to lock to see if the engine cranks (and while tapping your heels together saying "theres no place like home"). If it does start to crank, pull the fuel tank and trace the clutch switch wire harness to under the tank and you will find the connectors. Mine were pushed up against the coil (shourtd :huh2: ). I bypassed the switch (spliced the two wires together) and I have not had a problem since.

I think there have been a few starter switch failures also. :huh2:

Mike

Hey Mike,

Last season I pulled the tank and fiddled with those bullet connectors. I disconnected them applied some electrical grease stuff and pushed them back together. This problem isn't like last years problem. When I wiggle the handlebars nothing changes, then poof it starts right up. I've got some relays coming from dpguzzi, while I'm not convinced that is the problem either it seems like cheap insurance to have just in case. FYI I have tyco relays. Hopefully she'll start so I can get home tonight.... :P

That Buel Ulysses is starting to look really good......... -_-

Thanks,

Darryl

Really stupid question but are the battery terminals tight? The 1100sports primarly the carb ones with the orrible twin battery setup tend to unwind the earth terminal resulting in a "key banger" everytime you go over a bump. On a fuel injected bike I would imagine this would also reset the ECU etc etc. Check that the main terminal on the starter is still clean and tight, keep in mind this lead is hot usally directly from the battery no fusable link etc etc. Don't touch anything metal with the spanner while fiddling with it or disconnect battery before messing with it. To me it sounds like a primary power problem check the earth where it bolts onto the frame for good measure. All the simply stupid stuff like fuses clean of corrosion kill switch not full of road grime.