world SBK changes: an opening for guzzi ?

jihem

As you may know, Ducati is asking for capacity changes in world sbk: the bologna twins have growing problems matching up with 1000cc multicylinders. There are even rumours Ducati will quit the championship all together is 1200cc maximum capacity for twins isn't allowed.

The FIM and FGSport have issued a statement wich can be read as such: if ducati comes up with a 1200cc street bike it could very well be acceptable on the track.

>In that sense, should the market of the future be characterised by changes, in particular where the capacity of what are effectively regular showroom models is concerned, FIM and FGSport believe that these changes should be mirrored in the Superbike World Championship technical regulations.

isn't that a grand opportunity for Guzzi ?

(see www.superbikeplanet.com for full FMI/FGS statement)

No,

What would a company have to spend to be successful in that arena. I would rather see that money spent elsewhere. How about $1000.00 to each current Guzzi owner as a thank you. :)

Seriously though, can a Moto Guzzi compete with the racing budgets of HRC, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Yamaha. How about something more along the lines of Buells XBRR AMA Superbike entry. Is there an Italian Superbike series?

Is there an Italian Superbike series?

86574[/snapback]

Better yet, have MG fund a series much like aprilia did here in the states with 250's a few years back, everyone on the same bike with contingency money from the tire, oil, and aftermarket suppliers.

On this side of the pond, it could run as a side series during the AMA race weekends. Lease the bikes to the racers or sell them at an attractive price. Would give MG some much-needed market exposure without blowing their brains out against Japan Inc. and the Bologna contingent.

:2c:

Phil

. . . Seriously though, can a Moto Guzzi compete with the racing budgets of HRC, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Yamaha. . .

86574[/snapback]

Piaggio is a multi-billion dollar company, right?

Need a real BOTT

Get togeather with Buell and Duc and

make it attractive to Honda and Suz.

Get everyone togeather and do some PROMOTING.

Hold a "cruiser" race on the same weekends. :D

Big Wings and Road Kings ....racing!!! It would fill the stands!

I'd watch :drink:

The factorys race to sell.

Let "SBK" run with NASA. Can't REALLY ride those things

on the road anyway. :2c:

(This is what I come up with after 3 beers and a magarita :drink: )

As you may know, Ducati is asking for capacity changes in world sbk: the bologna twins have growing problems matching up with 1000cc multicylinders. There are even rumours Ducati will quit the championship all together is 1200cc maximum capacity for twins isn't allowed.

The FIM and FGSport have issued a statement wich can be read as such: if ducati comes up with a 1200cc street bike it could very well be acceptable on the track.

>In that sense, should the market of the future be characterised by changes, in particular where the capacity of what are effectively regular showroom models is concerned, FIM and FGSport believe that these changes should be mirrored in the Superbike World Championship technical regulations.

isn't that a grand opportunity for Guzzi ?

(see www.superbikeplanet.com for full FMI/FGS statement)

86570[/snapback]

It would be great to see. The biggest problem with Moto Guzzi is, they are too small, even with Piaggio's large, but conservative spending potential. Guzzi only sells, what 7000 bikes a year? They already have a potentially HUGE bill looming on the horizon, namely the replacement engine for the inevitable [it has to arrive some day, unfortunately] replacement of the current air cooled lump.

It will have to be done with both feet in. Has anyone remembered the huge failure that Harley Davidson [the second richest motorcycle company] went through with their AMA superbike effort. Even with arguably the best rider on the AMA at that time [Duhamel], all they could do was 1 podium, after 100's of millions spent. And this was with liquid cooling, 4 valve heads and twin overhead cams. They finally gave up.

I guess I'm trying to say, watch what you wish for. It could kill the company.

Ciao, Steve G.

I guess I'm trying to say, watch what you wish for.

86614[/snapback]

i was merely fwd an info about WSBK capacity, seeing it was opening up, and thinking...hmmmm, why not.

See, Ducati loses sales when they lose races. The big manufacturers don't really depend on it, probably cos their range cover so much ground. I don't know how HD came into AMA SBK, but I guess it wasn't with a low profile.

Guzzi is like the rugged outlaw: he doesn't have to be anything but himself to win the girls ;)

with an history like it has, roots deeply engraved in racing, but also an actual range more into "non-racing" bikes, the candidature of Guzzi in WSBK can only be perceived as "cool, sympathic and quite charming". They don't need to win races, they will be the underdog and can capitalize on that empathy factor.

we just have to see here: the MGS01 makes second at Assen, or win a side competition at Daytona, and to us its like they win it all !

Imagine what a good PR can do with that...

i was merely fwd an info about WSBK capacity, seeing it was opening up, and thinking...hmmmm, why not.

See, Ducati loses sales when they lose races. The big manufacturers don't really depend on it, probably cos their range cover so much ground. I don't know how HD came into AMA SBK, but I guess it wasn't with a low profile.

Guzzi is like the rugged outlaw: he doesn't have to be anything but himself to win the girls ;)

with an history like it has, roots deeply engraved in racing, but also an actual range more into "non-racing" bikes, the candidature of Guzzi in WSBK can only be perceived as "cool, sympathic and quite charming". They don't need to win races, they will be the underdog and can capitalize on that empathy factor.

we just have to see here: the MGS01 makes second at Assen, or win a side competition at Daytona, and to us its like they win it all !

Imagine what a good PR can do with that...

86626[/snapback]

I would enjoy M.G. in Superbike more than anyone. And if Piaggio would bankroll the R&D for a new engine, for WSB and as a replacement for the great old engine in use now, you would hear a great cheer from my home as I see a WSB Moto Guzzi thundering along.

Ciao, Steve G.

Forget it. If and when Piaggio decides to enter WSBK, they will go with Aprilia. They have the experience and the know how. And from a marketing point of view Aprilia has a much younger and bigger target group.

What I'm trying to say is: Guzzisti are old farts... :D

Aprilia used WSBK to develop its sports twin and the world supermotard series and now enduro series to fast track and prove the development of thier dirt bike V twin. Even if Guzzi just use it to develop and prove a new motor I think its highly possible. Aprilias motoGP efforts cost them more than what the 125GP, 250gp and WSBK efforts cost them combined. I think its possible they let Proton run without a equivlent street bike. I think Aprilia will re-entre with thier new V4. I think its Dorna that run the WSBK and they have to make a decision first but the 1200cc thing will allow Ducati to run a bike thats closer to the street bikes and thats a step closer to production racing which what attracts me to WSBK.

Forget it. If and when Piaggio decides to enter WSBK, they will go with Aprilia. They have the experience and the know how. And from a marketing point of view Aprilia has a much younger and bigger target group.

What I'm trying to say is: Guzzisti are old farts... :D

86676[/snapback]

Piaggio are going to send Aprilia MotoGP racing with thier new multi.

Piaggio are going to 'give' Guzzi a version of the Aprilia V-twin to develop for a sportsbike, and SBK racing if Ducati are successful in lobbying for the FIM for the 1200cc rule.

Aprilia's future streetbikes will be based on the MotoGP motor and the small 450/550 V-twin.

Guzzi's future sportsbikes will be based on thier version of the (former) Aprilia V-twin .

Sounds crazy, but thats what a little birdie told me... :whistle:

Guest Nogbad

Guzzi's future sportsbikes will be based on thier version of the (former) Aprilia V-twin .

87329[/snapback]

Really? So, not a Guzzi at all then. Better hang on to my V11. Where do these people get their understanding? Don't they realise the customer will see right through this badge engineering nonsense?

Really? So, not a Guzzi at all then. Better hang on to my V11. Where do these people get their understanding? Don't they realise the customer will see right through this badge engineering nonsense?

87340[/snapback]

It happens everywhere else- BMW use Rotax motors, as do Aprilia. The Mille lump is itself a Rotax engine, not Aprilia's own.

Cagiva use Suzuki motors, and before that, Ducati engines.

Kawasaki use the TL1000 lump in their version of the V Strom.

CCM use Suzuki engines.

MZ use Yamaha motors.

Bimota use Ducati engines.

Although I would love Guzzi to make their own V twin superbike engine, this would cost a fortune to develop so I can understand the thinking behind using the Aprilia motor for a superbike.

If this rumour is true, then fair enough- I am sure Guzzi will continue to make the old V twins and if it helps the company survive then that can only be a good thing.

Guy :helmet:

87340[/snapback]

Like Guzzi Rider said, The Aprilia lump was a Rotax design.

I wouldn't have a problem riding an MGS-01-type Moto Guzzi with a Rotax/Aprilia-derived engine. I'm sure it's final spec would be done by Guzzi, anyway.

Guzzi has a history of great sportsbike chassis going all the way back to the Bicylindrica. The MGS-01 was a work of art. Guzzi just needs more motor if they want to get serious...

:race: