Guzzi Dealership-Rome

Dr Gil

My wife and I are just recently returned from a week's stay in Rome. Yes, Rome as in Rome, Italy, the Mother Country, the homeland of Moto Guzzi, of all things pasta and Italian.

During our stay I, of course kept my eyes peeled for the vital signs of our beloved marque. Sadly I must report that during our week's stay I saw a total of FIVE (5) Moto Guzzis...yes, I kept count. I saw more Brit bikes (Speed Triples seem to be very popular) than Italian.

In anticipation of this trip to the homeland I had packed my favorite "Moto Guzzi" T-shirt hoping to gain some glory from the indigenous population and to help endear me to them. Nothing. I engaged locals in broken English/broken Italian motorcycle conversations and managed to work in that I actually owned a Guzzi and showed them pictures that I had also packed of my beloved Le Mans...to almost no affect.

Finally in desperation to find "our" people I made a point to visit one of the only two Moto Guzzi dealerships in Rome. They had a total of 7 bikes on the floor one of which was a used and quite sad California. They carried almost no swag what so ever.

I must admit I came away a bit humbled and with perhaps a bit clearer picture of myself, of my tastes and of my true place in this world.

So here, in all its glory is the main Moto Guzzi dealership in Rome, Italy. Those of you who question the vitality of the company and its promise for the future, take that!

guzzi-rome.jpg

My experience in Italy was the same. The cab driver taking me to the Guzzi dealer (a BMW rider) seemed a bit incredulous that I was interested in Guzzis. My impression is that Italians view the marque in the same light that most other motorcyclists do...that it's a ancient brand made for old fogeys.

Viewing Italian web pages of club meetings, most of the members do seem to be of the "old fogey" variety :D

My experience in Italy was the same. The cab driver taking me to the Guzzi dealer (a BMW rider) seemed a bit incredulous that I was interested in Guzzis. My impression is that Italians view the marque in the same light that most other motorcyclists do...that it's a ancient brand made for old fogeys.

Viewing Italian web pages of club meetings, most of the members do seem to be of the "old fogey" variety :D

87084[/snapback]

Oh dear, is that the image we have been labelled with, I used to think that we were only labelled as the the slightly lunatic fringe who wanted to remain outside the mainstream motorcycling public but also to enjoy good motorcycling on a much maligned and little understood marque. If I wanted the old fogey tag I'd buy a beemer or a Virago, bugger I might have to look at downgrading to a Cagiva X Raptor or something Buellish :2c::doh:

You should of gone the Germany with your Guzzi T shirt. The Italians buy BMW's and Mercs and the German's buy Ducati's Guzzi's and Alfa's. I guess it gives them a oppourtunity to make them perfect rather than buying something and messing with a fellow country man's idea of perfection. Dunno its odd but there are quiet a few articles kicking around about Italians that will passionatly support the home grown product but when it comes to forking thier own money out for one well thats different.

Hope you enjoyed the trip in spite of it, Gil.

Thanks for the pic.

I now see that in order to be a "real" Moto Guzzi dealer,

we need some graffiti. :P

87088[/snapback]

Call TxRedneck. No- wait- his grafitti would scare off the customers. No, wait- HE'D scare off the customers.

had the same experience when visiting Tuscany last autumn. The landlord at the hotel (Antonio With the Bellowing Voice) was an old racer and was deeply unimpressed when I told him about my Guzzi. My wifes Laverda on the other hand, got his juices running. He was a Beemer/Honda man....

we are indeed a bunch of old fogeys....

Guest randy
I must admit I came away a bit humbled and with perhaps a bit clearer picture of myself, of my tastes and of my true place in this world.

So here, in all its glory is the main Moto Guzzi dealership in Rome, Italy.  Those of you who question the vitality of the company and its promise for the future, take that!

guzzi-rome.jpg

87068[/snapback]

i am shocked, awed, and ultimately frustrated with your report. and what a sad example of a Guzzi dealership, right where the Mecca should be ...what's wrong with those Italians? -exception of course, being the good folks responsible for Moto Guzzi production in the first place. indeed, truly humbling ...until i cast my eyes upon a V11 again.

we must be plain crazy :mg:

Ha!

It just keeps gettin' wierder donnit?

We're all wackos..... :D

Good for us!

Still I do delight when finally some one crosses the parking lot

waving and smiling and sayin' "Wow ...a Guzzi...I didn't think they

made them anymore...wow what a beautiful sound when you pulled in".

It happens....once in a while :D:drink::mg:

Guest roadholder

Sadly is like you described. Most of us (italians

) do prefere Triumph, Japs and BMW.

Anyway we are a few (guzzisti) but strong l

Before to make your visit to "the Mecca" you had to contact some of us guzzisti here in the mother country. Next time I will be glad to let you see some interesting places and peoples (the more interesting are usually hidden!).

Alex, Milan

I remember riding up past Monza on the way to Mandello for the 80th Raduno with 2 other English Guzzis, and as we got within 20 miles of the factory, there were people in their gardens and standing at their front doors waving and cheering the bikes as they converged on the hometown.

It was quite some sight, seeing dozens of Guzzis on the road at once, all homing onto Mandello from different directions.

A week earlier, on the Milan ring road, we had a lorry driver pull up next to us in his cab, blast his horn and hang out of his window shouting "Bella Guzzis!".

I guess it depends on where you go as to how passionate Italians are about Moto Guzzi.

Guy :helmet:

Oh dear, is that the image we have been labelled with, I used to think that we were only labelled as the the slightly lunatic fringe who wanted to remain outside the mainstream motorcycling public but also to enjoy good motorcycling on a much maligned and little understood marque.  If I wanted the old fogey tag I'd buy a beemer or a Virago, bugger I might have to look at downgrading to a Cagiva X Raptor or something Buellish :2c:  :doh:

87085[/snapback]

just carry a :pic: so you know which is yours. :ninja:

Guest Nogbad

I think it is somehow quaint, and helps support the eccentricity of Guzzi ownership.

Here is a question; would you rather visit this dealer, or the chrome and glass emporia of Ducati and The Motor Company?

What is wrong with this shop? Why, just because it is in an inner city back street covered in graffiti is this considered to be a bad thing?

Do you know what floor space costs in the centre of Rome?

Look, you could come into my workshop and be perfectly horrified. It's full of broken bits of motorbikes and oil cans and, and, (swoon!) DIRTY STUFF!!!! Oh! Horrors that a vehicle could actually produce dirty stuff! and worse yet the owners of the vehicles should have, very occasionally, to see it! You lot are worse than the bloody Taliban! :grin:

While having a spotless workshop and a seemingly clinically clean work environment may be appealig it is, I'm afraid, usually a sign that not a whole lot of *work* is going on. Don't get me wrong. If I need an area to be clinically clean I can make it so, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to make my place look like an up-market knocking shop simply to attract the sort of cock-heads who think that everywhere has to look like a Microsoft Corporation advert before it can be any good. In my experience ther is a direct correlation between those who want *Smart and Shiny* and the inability, sorry, unwillingness to settle their bills. Don't judge a book by looking at the cover or, especially with Guzzi, you'll probably find your bike being *worked* on by a grumpy first year apprentice with fantasies about an R1 who thinks that Guzzis are obsolete bits of shit and just wants it out of his hands. Your bike, your choice. :P

Pete