Headlights and visibility

Guest freeman

I'm reading that as: a sequence of 'flashes' is not good for the bulb. Certainly, this one burned out when I did that.

The bucket relays do press against the back of the reflector. I suppose they could be contributing to higher temperatures at the bulb. Of course, they could just as easily form a heat sink and lower the emps. Or the temps at the bulb may be so high it makes no difference.

The 30 amp circuits do melt fuses and I have changed mine to a better rated fuse holder.

Thanks all the input.

BTW, the new BMW 335i rotates the outer lamp in a curve. Tucker lives on!

Hi docc,

I would think that on bikes at speed, the best rotation would be about a horizontal axis, rather than vertical as in the Tucker.

That way, the rectangular light pattern would stay level with the road, instead of up in the sky on the outside and down in the ditch on the inside of the curve. I would personally find that handy. Which way is the outer lamp on the Beemer rotated?

best, John

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The outboard lamp reportedly rotates outward into the curve. I'm not sure how much. It did make my mind busy thinking of all that could go wrong with that system. Right after the end of the warranty.

Some riders, with GS BMWs and the like, have taken to aiming their aux lights up and out so as to catch the curve while leaned over. Going straight down the road they refer to them as 'squirrel chasers' as they tend to shine off up into the trees.

The PIAA lives! After buying a new Silver Star ($25 US), then finding I didn't have an 8mm box to release the Stucchi flyscreen ($5 US), I installed the Omron back-up relays I had for my horns (each of my FIAMMs are on separate circuits). Testing to be sure I had them hooked up right, the low beam came on!

It was the relay, and NOT the bulb. :o

I'm so glad I had RYLAND's OMRONs to install. Otherwise I would have thrown away a fifty dollar bulb.

Here's the relay I thought was good (4 years, 28,000 miles):

IMG_4900-1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well, the PIAA Extreme White High-Zoot $50 job went 11,000 miles. I've run five Sylvania Silver Stars(25 USD) now and they have averaged 4700 miles. :bbblll:

I've just installed a Wagner H4 "Auxiliary Off-Road" (8 USD). It's certainly not as white, but still pretty bright. We'll see how long she lasts.

Well, the PIAA Extreme White High-Zoot $50 job went 11,000 miles. I've run five Sylvania Silver Stars(25 USD) now and they have averaged 4700 miles. :bbblll:

I've just installed a Wagner H4 "Auxiliary Off-Road" (8 USD). It's certainly not as white, but still pretty bright. We'll see how long she lasts.

Are you running the motorcycle version of the SilverStars? I've got about 10K on mine and it's still going.

johnk

Probably not. I'm just getting them off the rack at the local AutoBonanza.

I didn't know there was a motorcycle specific version. Where did you get it?

Probably not. I'm just getting them off the rack at the local AutoBonanza.

I didn't know there was a motorcycle specific version. Where did you get it?

I did a search on ebay for it. I believe they cost about $5.00 more. I'm guessing they're a bit more vibration resistant than the standard car one. I've driven on a bunch of bumpy roads since installing them and they seem to be holding up alright (so far)...

johnk

It doesn't help you see where you are going. It helps OTHERS see where you ARE. In the UK it might be "stupid", but in the US drivers do not see motorcyclists very well. They are usually to busy talking on their cell phone or putting on make-up. Anything you can do to increase visability and make yourself seen is a good thing. And during the day the hi-beam is much more visable then the low beam.

The old lights on they'll see me theory. I never run lights in daylight because it conditions drivers to only look for a light, lets face it if they can't see a bike they shouldn't be on the road cause they surley won't see a pedestrian. I treat all car drivers like morons and expect them to do all the dumb things. it seems to work for me :lol: 34years riding 360 days a year and only one argument with a car :lol:

& as far as headlight modulators go, yes "they're fucking irritating," that's the fucking point! [shaking head] Some people just don't get it...

;)

Indeed they don't. Because many peoples' response to being irritated is to irritate right back.

The old lights on they'll see me theory. I never run lights in daylight because it conditions drivers to only look for a light, lets face it if they can't see a bike they shouldn't be on the road cause they surley won't see a pedestrian. I treat all car drivers like morons and expect them to do all the dumb things. it seems to work for me :lol: 34years riding 360 days a year and only one argument with a car :lol:

You need to come the US. You HAVE to ride as though you have been having an affair, her husband found out and is going to get you. The only problem is, you don't know what he is driving.

Unfortunately this is the safest riding philosophy I have been able to practice.

You need to come the US. You HAVE to ride as though you have been having an affair, her husband found out and is going to get you. The only problem is, you don't know what he is driving.

Did you learn this riding method from direct experience? :D:lol: