buddy bought an R6

DeBenGuzzi

I had to ride it home because he doesn't have his lisence yet. WOW I rode it about 20 miles and the thing just flies. The bikes I'm looking at probably do the same but for twice the money. :huh2: he got a red 2001 with 8K mi's a brand new alpine jacket brand new Icon gloves and a decent helmet for $5600. Half what I Was looking at for a Ducati or a RSV, Hell I could get the all black with red pin stripes R1 I like so much for about $7-8K I wish italians were just cheaper, I mean the R6 was fun but it had no soul. it did have a fully muzzy exhuast so it howled like the dickens. and does a wheelie in first with just a twist. Now I'm talking myself back into getting one. :doh:

I had to ride it home because he doesn't have  his lisence yet. WOW I rode it about 20 miles and the thing just flies. The bikes I'm looking at probably do the same but for twice the money.  :huh2: he got a red 2001 with 8K mi's a brand new alpine jacket brand new Icon gloves and a decent helmet for $5600. Half what I Was looking at for a Ducati or a RSV, Hell I could get the all black with red pin stripes R1 I like so much for about $7-8K I wish italians were just cheaper, I mean the R6 was fun but it had no soul. it did have a fully muzzy exhuast so it howled like the dickens. and does a wheelie in first with just a twist. Now I'm talking myself back into getting one.  :doh:

88239[/snapback]

And the all important difference? It got no soul!!!!!

Guest drknow

Hey, nothiing wrong with the modern Japanese sportbikes. You mentioned the drawback though, lack of soul. Now, I've noticed that they have just as much soul as anything when they are ridden at the track at full honk. That's the rub. I race whatever modern sportbike comes along (this year it's the 2006 ZX-10R) and what a crappy streetbike that would be! First, it'd be like commuting on the space shuttle, and second, let's talk about boredom. It positively laughs at any job it's given in a street environment. However, when racing it the thing's LOADED with personality. I've always been a proponent of buying a cheap 600/750 as a trackday bike (still bring the italian hardware for giggles and to help set em up and familiarize at track speeds) and flogging it. Parts are cheap and the bikes are ultra capable. Just don't give up your "personality" bikes. One of the pluses to this setup is how much faster you'll learn when you're not worried about messing up your pride and joy.

dk

Cars: American money, British heritage. [two makes only, no cheap stuff]

Bikes: Italian - soul, character, beauty. [brits if you must, out of sheer cussedness]

Cameras: the Japanese used to be good at these.

Microwave ovens and domestic appliances generally: Taiwan.

Women: any that come along and seem cheap/willing [for a more specific guide, see the "Hooters" forum]

Listen to yer Uncle Frenchbob, Ben! He might be old and grizzled but he knows a few things.

My brother in law has a R6, :bike: Bought it brand new when they first came out, has 500 miles on it only used that first summer and hasnt even had its first service, Keeps saying he is going to re insure it and take it out, what a waste, am going to florida with him in october and the wives and kids so will bend his ear about selling it to me while there :drink::bier: over a beer or two, a perfect second bike :race:

Gary

Hey, nothiing wrong with the modern Japanese sportbikes. You mentioned the drawback though, lack of soul. Now, I've noticed that they have just as much soul as anything when they are ridden at the track at full honk. That's the rub. I race whatever modern sportbike comes along (this year it's the 2006 ZX-10R) and what a crappy streetbike that would be! First, it'd be like commuting on the space shuttle, and second, let's talk about boredom. It positively laughs at any job it's given in a street environment. However, when racing it the thing's LOADED with personality. I've always been a proponent of buying a cheap 600/750 as a trackday bike (still bring the italian hardware for giggles and to help set em up and familiarize at track speeds) and flogging it. Parts are cheap and the bikes are ultra capable. Just don't give up your "personality" bikes. One of the pluses to this setup is how much faster you'll learn when you're not worried about messing up your pride and joy.

dk

88285[/snapback]

Just about sums everything up I feel about anything *modern* in the bike world. Yes, you can ride 'em on the street, but what a waste. Like a circus bear riding a tricycle.

I can't really *ride* to save my life. That's why I don't ride our race bike. I'd be a menace. But if I had the track to myself and endless money? What fun could be had :huh2::grin::grin::grin:

Pete

Helen bought an R6 7 years ago and has done zillions of miles on it (I can't tell you exactly how many 'cos we have leant it to a mate with a sickly V11). She has toured Ireland, Scotland and 3 week tour of Europe, and it is amazingly practical for a sports bike- quite comfy and you can get shedloads of lugagge and camping gear on it.

I never tried to influence her into getting a Guzzi because I knew she loved her little blue R6 but one day she asked to swap bikes- and that was it. First she bought a LMV, then a V11 Sport.

Since then, the R6 has mainly gathered dust in the garage because H prefers torque and character.

Saying that, we both occasionally take it out for a spin and it is quite good fun to thrash its tits off on the empty moors.

:mg:

Guy :helmet: