U.K. visit

We're having a family re-union next month in the U.K. My son is stationed at Lakenheath so the wife, daughter and I are going to spend June 7 - June 28th at his place with side trips to Ireland and anywhere else we can manage. The nearest Guzzi dealer to Soham where my son lives is Haywards of Cambridge. He'd like to get over there and see the new bikes and so would I. We'd like to be able to set it up to meet some of the local forum members too if anyone is available at some point during our trip. PM me for an exchange of information if you want and maybe we'll get to shake hands or hoist a brew next month.

I've sent Carl a copy of my June dates, so if our free days match up :bier: as I'm only 50 miles away.

Chris I'm working on the 24th but I think it's a 4pm start not midday so I could be game but would have to be out of there at 2. If it's midday it would be 10 which would be too early for anyone else

24th June is the new Bush road race. Remember the thread?

I guess if you go to Ireland you're thinking of the South, but if you're up North...

I've got an invite to spend a few days in Letterkenny, Ireland from a displaced U.S. Guzzisti that's been there for 5 months. He'd like to stay, his wife wants to go back to the USA. Ah, the bliss of marital life... At any rate, the whole lot of us (4 or 5 depending upon whether the daughter in law can get time off from her new job) are going to try and circle through Wales, Ireland, Scotland and then back to Soham. There ought to be a few chances in that mix to meet some people although I don't know about hitting the rally dates. We don't actually have an itinerary yet, but as it shapes up, I'll keep you all posted. My son has internet, there won't be any major disconnect.

Hello Carl I live 8 miles from Cambridge and could meet you at Haywards on the 24 June.Haywards is a top place i am sure they will make us welcom. Jim

88863[/snapback]

I just emailed my son an told him to leave the 24th open. This all may just work out. I'll be sure to wave as well Mike.

We're having a family re-union next month in the U.K. My son is stationed at Lakenheath so the wife, daughter and I are going to spend June 7 - June 28th at his place with side trips to Ireland and anywhere else we can manage. The nearest Guzzi dealer to Soham where my son lives is Haywards of  Cambridge. He'd like to get over there and see the new bikes and so would I. We'd like to be able to set it up to meet some of the local forum members too if anyone is available at some point during our trip. PM me for an exchange of information if you want and maybe we'll get to shake hands or hoist a brew next month.

88739[/snapback]

Golly it's a small world Carl. My old retired uncle ran the BP petrol station across the street from Mildenhall AF Base, just selling it off. I'm assuming your son is at Mildenhall.

While you are there, and want to see some real history [isn't the entire country of England a museum?], visit my grampa's ghost at the oldest public house in the world [i know another one], The Ferry Boat Inn, from 980 AD, located in the tiny hamlett of Holywell, Camb., just a stones throw from St. Ives. Honest, he's there, he's visited me several times while I've stayed there, and I'm not one to get on the spiritual ghost thing, honest!!

While I'm talking about creepy things, my family's old headquarters is quite close to your Lakenheath temporary home. My family used to own several thousand acres in the Wash, which included Woodhurst and Oldhurst. The old original home is still there at Woodhurst, still owned by a family member. The old church at Woodhurst houses the largest collection of my ancestors anywhere on earth, actually the entire graveyard seems to be nothing but my last Name [Gurry].

I know you will enjoy your visit with your son.

Ciao, Steve G.

Hi Steve, my son is stationed at Lakenheath. It looks like I'll just barely miss the Irish Guzzi rally. Not for lack of timing, we'll get there on the ferry the morning of the 10th. It's too far southward though considering that we'll be heading north to the north west part of Ireland and that will take most of the day.

FWIW:

Route 1 : Pembroke to Rosslare

Departure Date/Time: Sat 10 June 2006 at 0245

Arrival Date/Time: Sat 10 June 2006 at 0630

Passengers: 5 Adults

Transport: Car

Route 2 : Larne to Cairnryan

Departure Date/Time: Thu 15 June 2006 at 1030

Arrival Date/Time: Thu 15 June 2006 at 1215

Passengers: 5 Adults

Transport: Car

Well, we'll obviously go through Wales - and not see any of it as we'll be traveling in the dark. I haven't got a clue as to what to put on the sight seeing list for the return trip through Scotland. Since we're not contemplating visiting Glasgow or any of the larger cities in Scotland we will not be overnighting in that country either.

Unless...

Someone in Scotland wants to put 5 American tourists up for a night either in Glasgow or the southern part of the country. Edinburgh is probably too far to consider.

The ferry ticket just about busted my budget. I'm going to have to go to work to be able to afford being retired.

My son and I will be at Haywards the 24th. Unknown as to whether my daughter and wife would go as it's just another motorcycle shop to them. Are there any interesting shops in the immediate vicinity of Haywards that the females of the clan could go shopping at?

Wow. Less than three weeks now.

I really, really want to see a Norge if they're on the showroom floor.

Edinburgh is no more than an hour from Glasgow.  Pretty much motorway (70mph) all the way.

mike

89899[/snapback]

That would be great but my daughter in law has to be back at work early Monday morning and diverting further north might not be the hot ticket. I suppose it depends upon the roads from Glasgow or Edingurgh southwards to the Cambridge area of England. How long would that trip take? For that matter, how long does it take from Cairnryan to Glasgow?

My son and I will be at Haywards the 24th. Unknown as to whether my daughter and wife would go as it's just another motorcycle shop to them. Are there any interesting shops in the immediate vicinity of Haywards that the females of the clan could go shopping at?

Wow. Less than three weeks now.

I really, really want to see a Norge if they're on the showroom floor.

89805[/snapback]

Carl - the 24th at Haywards is in the diary. We live 140 miles from Cambridge so meeting up at lunchtime would suit us best. I'm not sure about the UK launch date for the Norge - anyone else know?

That would be great but my daughter in law has to be back at work early Monday morning and diverting further north might not be the hot ticket. I suppose it depends upon the roads from Glasgow or Edingurgh southwards to the Cambridge area of England. How long would that trip take? For that matter, how long does it take from Cairnryan to Glasgow?

89901[/snapback]

If you get a clear run, you can do Edinburgh - Cambridge in about five/six hours. Two+ hours for the bit from Edinburgh to Newcastle, three+ hours for the rest. That's assuming a car, legal(ish) speeds and short breaks. Glasgow - Cambridge will be similar, maybe slightly longer.

Add an hour for bad traffic, at least.

mike