Question about fuel/ignition

Guest scottd132

Guest scottd132

OK, I know the answer already, get a PCIII. However, I just invested in Guzzi's Ti exhaust for primarily the fit, looks and quality as well as the price with a remapped ECU. My dealer set the CO to 4???? which is what he said the instructions state from Guzzi on the exhaust and ECU kit.

It idles well, pulls like a monster, and I mean very different than stock! BUT...at 3-4K RPM in 6th on the freeway it misses, after it warms up the throttle becomes a little "on or off" around town meaning now slow speed feathering. As well if I sit at a light for a while it may stumble and in all cases feels like an ignition stumble to me, being a pretty experienced car guy.

The plugs after a high RPM run and shut down are medium to light brown with more than I would expect black carbon only around the outer rim near the threads of the plugs.

The head pipes are a nice light blue with little gold, not nearly as dark or discolored as they were when I was running the stock setup. (I 3M scotchbrite the headpipes ever so often for looks and to keep a eye on the temp).

I take it in Sat and the first thing the mechanic is going to do is change and shim the ignition pickup. Then take it out for a highway run as most of his test runs are short and around town.

Any ideas from guys with more experience

Scott in Seatte :bier:

Chasing a change in fuel delivery with changes to the ignition timing will likely be a can of worms. Before changing the ignition make sure the TPS is correctly set (a liitle to the high side) and perfect sychronization.

CO of '4' seems a bit high. I'll have to check around but I seem to recall 3.4-3.5 as more typical.

Good luck, docc

Just got my V11 Sport Official Factory Manual. It states the CO to be 3.5 - 4.5 which covers your dealer's advice. I see I am running my TPS a little rich and the air bypass out to a full turn. Certainly not 'by the book' but the plug color is good , bike runs great and 34-38mpg.

Lots of disagreement as to the procedure for setting the TPS. Just what is the relationship between 'degrees of opening' and 'millivolts?'

(BTW, my dealer refused to check the CO as the taps are prone to stripping the header. Makes me wonder where in the world it's set and how to have it checked.)

This engine really shouldn't be run at such low rpm's on the hiway! You are lugging it by running it well below the powerband. This engine is cammed and set up to romp & breath compared to normal Guzzi cruisers. A regular Guzzi motor loves to cruise at 4k rpm. These are much smoother and comfortable at 5k rpm.

I have found that as the mileage piles up, the motor is progressivly happier running at lower rpm's though. Mine will now pull 4k on the hiway way better than it did after break-in. Has almost 11K miles on it now.

What's the mileage on yours?

Rich,

My 02 Scura seems very happy 2,500 - 4,000 revs. It's almost like having 2 bikes - below 4,500 you can doddle along slowly taking in the view - above 5,200-ish you have to concentrate. In between is a bit of a no-man's land...I do not load the engine at low revs/high gear by accelerating much - surely that's OK? Wouldn't it tell me if it didn't like it? Low revs/high gear is one of the nicest things about Guzzis - don't say I can't do it any more?

Cheers, KB, Wales.

I have run my bike in 6th gear on the hiway at 3500 rpm. I had to laugh in my helmet because it pulled it easily and had some torque still on tap. But it did seem incongruous riding a V11S that way. This was at 10K miles and with the PCIII fitted. I agree with you on it being the best of both worlds. But MAN! I never could have done that a year ago! The motor was still loosening up. It vibrated in the 4's and lugged badly in the 3's.

If the motor is smooth and feels good, it is probably fine.

But if it is showing any signs of lugging, drop a gear and get the revs up! These bikes are great for "talking" to you and giving you good feedback. We need to listen to them!

I must say that my bike is a far better runner today than it was when new. It has been getting progressivly better as I "fettle" it and the mileage gets racked up!

Guest scottd132

from Scott in Seattle.

The bike is not lugging between 3-4K RPM infact pulls well on acceleration. It is missing. i.e. just as if someone is cutting the ignition. Or if you have ever had a burnt valve on a car (same feel). It pulls strong and hard on acceleration and misses with low load at cruising speed between 3-4K. It also stalls at idle whenever it feels like it.

I spent 4 hours at the dealer Sat. Two of the top techs worked on it and said to have me call Guzzi. I did this morning and they were great. They will be calling the techs and getting back with me but really had a great attitude and it was very nice talking to a real person (vs many other manufactures who send you to the 1-800 customer we don't know anything department).

So I will let you all know the outcome. My bike has the new Guzzi Ti exhaust and ECU. However, this was a problem prior with the stock setup as well.

Scott :mg:

......hrmm, sounds eerily familiar :rolleyes:

Guzzi obviously has a systemic problem here with many 2002 and earlier bikes. Maybe it's just a batch of one flakey component/sensor, or a combination of things such as the stock map. But this needs to be addressed.

It obviously doen't hit all bikes, but it sure is a common problem for several owners.

al

Scott my bike was experiencing the same symptons as yours after riding thru a heavy down pour,after several days of dry weather it was still cutting in and out at part throttle. After checking every connection I could find,I was starting to pull all my hair out like Al . It turned out to be condensation in one of my relays( thanx Mike at MPH).I say this because you live in Seattle and thats all it does there is rain :unsure:

Guest scottd132

Thanks Jim and Al,

Being a fair whether rider right now, it seems the only time I get to ride it is nice out. Did you have to replace the relay or just dry it out with a little contact cleaner and/or WD40?

Yes, I will be working with Guzzi and have a lot of patience with them as I cannot think of another bike (or manufacture) I want. I love the twin sport bike and Buell just looks too cheap with the plastic. The Honda and Suz twins just don't cut it for me.

So it will be......

Scott :bier:

Check for split intake boots! They can lean out the engine and make it sound like it's missing! Break them loose and rotate to inspect! One of mine split on the inside and was well hidden. Drove me nuts 'till I found it!

My bike came with a badly routed fuel hose which pressed into the spark plug wire for the left coil. It shoved it sideways and partially out of it's plug on the coil. That may have abbetted the problem as well.

The nice thing about Guzzi's in my experience is that it's often just simple stuff that causes the problems.

This could be totally unrelated.

But my Sport has been doing an intermittent miss at 6000rpm since the dealer downloaded a map into the PC111. I've got pipes and a K&N on it.

Before the dealer downloaded the map, I set the PC to run 1 indicator rich at low, mid and upper ranges. It pulled like a Clydesdale! Now the settings show it to be set on the lean side. Arggggh! I've just returned the settings to where I had them and am about to go for a ride to test it out. :o

Also, the dealer will not replace relays unless he tests them and they show they're faulty :angry: The side of the road is NOT where I want to find that I've got a faulty relay :angry: I've sent an email to Dan :D

Guest dkgross

hey scott! We'll have to go riding sometime. I'm in West Seattle.

The guys at Moto know their stuff, and they'll get it running right for ya!

My bike is VERY happy between 4k and 5k, and I leave it there most of the time. I don't pay attention to what gear I'm in at all. And I just love the little kick in the butt at 6k :D