V11 Oil Cooler Mounting Brackets

Guest Buddy

Guest Buddy

I had one of the two Oil Cooler Mounting Brackets fracture close to where it joins the frame, on my 2000 model year V11. I have fitted a MG replacement, but the quality of the bracket does not inspire confidence. Does anyone out there know where I could get, ideally, a stainless steel version? :(

Early brackets were aluminum and prone to failure. Your replacements should be steel and will do fine.

..in fact I believe this was a genuine "dealer bulletin/recall" issue. I think the dealer will replace these with the steel ones free of charge if you press the issue.

Give it a try.

All current bikes since '01 have steel brackets.

al

• 11 months later...

My V11 2000 has just cracked both brackets, it has travelled 17,000 kms.

I placed an order with my dealer for both brackets 6 weeks ago and today I picked up the right hand side bracket, still waiting for the left hand side.

I was not given an estimated date of when this bracket will be delivered, so I am left hanging.

And yes my original brackets are made of some type of aluminium material and the replacement bracket is made of metal (tested with a magnet).

I find it very annoying and hard to understand why it takes so long to get simple parts especially as these bikes are still in production.

I didn't get up the dealer because he puts in the requisition for the part and the rest is up to Guzzi.

It sure would be interesting to know where the delay time is actually happening, order two brackets and one is only supplied after 6 weeks, what is going on, can anyone explain.

I had mine break at 19,000kms half way between Gran Coulee Dam and Winthrop, out in the desert, in the boonies. BIG TIME not impressed. Had to zap strap the thing from hitting the front fender. My dealer had new steel ones in stock which they of course handed me free.

Another thing I've been thinking about that is aluminum, the side stand. I've read on this forum instances of the thing bending. Who's idea was it to make a side stand in aluminum? Or the oil filter brackets? It's not like this family of bikes is a retro racer looking to save a few grams of weight to win the road-races on Sunday. So what if the thing is another 1/4 kilo heavier. Of course I know why. It's cost. They save $3 a stand, that's 9000$ a year.

Ciao, Steve G.

Mine broke at about 3000 miles on both side. I called Orange County Motorsport and they told me that that they had the brackets in stock and that it would be a warranty service. Rode down to the dealer (55miles) and the parts manager told me that they only had one in stock. I was told that they had to order one and that it maybe several weeks before they will receive it. Mickey (General Manager) walked by and told the parts manager to pull one from a bike on the floor and replace it. Wow, that was customer service. No problem with the brackets since. :mg:

Guest Bruce

I made a temporary set out of a 1/2 inch reinforced rubber pad that I got form an industrial supply place at work. It cut easily on the band saw but was very resistant to drilling or grinding. In desperation I tried a wood bit ( one of the flatsided things ) and pesto it zipped right throught it.

They look great! Not. Some where an Italian designer is crying. Oh well, what do you expect from a Vermont guy. Did get me back on the road.

On the shake down cruise I keep thinking I smelt burning rubber but they were just fine. The temps lasted all summer which was a good thing because after a good wait they shipped me two rights!

• 4 weeks later...

Ya, both mine broke.........at different times of course :P

No big deal. Some mechanic's wire and zap straps.

One of the reasons I keep going to the same shop for my Yamahas. 88 FZR1000 alternator died. They pulled one off a showroom bike immediately :bier:

I've been a regular customer since.

Drove the car to Munroe on Saturday.. Brendan in service gave me a new steel bracket right away and ask for me to return the broken one when I can..

Good service.

Tim

Just an update, I have got both new brackets fitted to my bike. I ordered a set ( L/H andR/H ) from my local dealer and another set from England. The right hand side my dealer supplied and the left hand side was supplied from England.

So that gave me a set. Therefore I am still waiting for both suppliers to complete their orders from me.

Thanks to the internet I was able to get my bike back together.