John's Scura

Well, while the Moto Italiano guys were trying to find the "mystery squeak" in my bike's rear-end, John came by and dropped off his Scura.

Ya'll might remember that he was the fella that had the loose/worn torque-arm bushings, and wondered if this was anything anyone else had seen. And MAN were they gone, front and back! You could grab the whole bevel-box and just move the whole assembly around.

Anyway, it seems that the bushing in the rear had started to "click" some time back, but he didn't know what the noise was. In hindsight he now realizes the bushing must have been going, then continued to wear at a faster and faster rate, eventually also causing the failure of the front a few thousand miles later.

I don't know for sure, but it seemed likely that they were going to take care of this under warranty from what I heard... at least I hope so :o

HI JOHN :) ...nice meeting you!

So if you hear a clickety click back around your torque-arm, keep an eye on it.

al

Hi Al,

It was nice to meet you as well. I just figured out that Mike Stewart from this list is the guy I met at Moto Italiano right after I got my Scura. It's always nice to put a face on all these forum folk.

I'm curious to see if the noise I was hearing goes away with these bushings replaced. The click really sounds like it's coming from the clutch housing. It may be nothing anyways. Time will tell.

Indeed you'll have to keep us appraised, inquiring minds want to know :P

BTW, I think you would win any "dirtiest" or "most honestly ridden" V11 Sport award, if we had one. That was one well ridden, and road grime coated Scura :thumbsup:

When I was chatting with John about the engine paint issue he says, "...ah that's just cosmetic, and that's the last thing on my mind!" :lol: You gotta admire that :)

Al, you are being too kind. My bike is filthy.

(I'm gonna wash it real soon, honest... It's just that everytime I think it's done raining another front comes though...)

John K oester

Guest toutizes

Moto Italiano's a small world. I had my bike on repair there for the last 2 months waiting for parts and finally got it last week. (Green '00 V11S with a magni fairing).

I think I saw Al's bike, as it was sitting in a corner of the work area with the heads removed (it's a champagne one, right?).

There was a tricked-up one with the license plate "guzzied", fancy red rims, and a mini carbon-looking fairing, is that John's? (Maybe not, as that one seemed to be a '00 too).

What was fun last week is that as my bike had not been exactly ready when I picked it up they lended me an Aprilia Futura for a couple of days. Nice ride! Engine feels much smoother than the V11S, but it was quite a bit sensitive to the strong side winds on 280.

Any, thought I'd just say "hi" to other Moto-Italiano customers!

Matthieu

Hrmmm, I think that was Mike Stewart's Sport with the red Dymags.

So they gave you a loaner bike? I think I'll have to ask Jason about that :whistle:

Maybe they can loan me a Rosso or another '03 for a comparison. Might be a good idea actually.

al

Yep, the 00 green V11 Sport is mine, I guess you thought it was johns because it is so dirty. :lol: There is 2000 miles worth of bug splat covering the bike from the ride to the Arizona rally. Never had a chance to clean it since I dropped it off the following day to pick up the Rosso.

If you think the Futura is fun, go ride a Falco. I did and now it is in my garage! :grin:

Mike

Guest toutizes

> [Try a falco...buy one]

I don't know, I think that if I get a 3rd bike I'll get something different. Maybe a Duke? Or one of them 650cc scooters from Suzuki (sounds like a great commute ride)? A Beemer GS? A Valkyrie? A new Bonneville?

Sigh so many to choose from...

Hey John, how's the ride without the rear hugger? Does it spray more water to the rider when running under the rain?

thanks

Matthieu

Matthieu,

I haven't noticed any difference in the rain with out the rear hugger. I did 100 miles in the pouring rain last month going down south and only my gloves got soaked from the water going down my arms. Thats when I found out that Gortex gloves are hard to dry out when they are soaked on the inside. With lower clipons, the downward position of the arms make a nice gutter to channel water into the gloves. Next time when I am in the rain, I will put my jacket over the gloves to prevent this. :thumbsup:

By the way, did you buy the Magni fairing from Moto Italiano?

Mike

Guest toutizes

> [did you buy the magni from moto-italiano?]

Ah, that one's an interesting story. I had noticed they had a green magni on the shelf facing the counter (where they used to have the Magni Race Bike) so when I needed to replace my broken light/handlebars/stucchi I asked Mike to sell me that one and put it on.

Now, they only realized the day I was supposed to pick up the bike that they were missing some brackets in that fairing kit. They tried to fabricate some with parts from a new LeMans (I think) but to no avail.

I googled for another one and found that Pro-Italia, in southern CA, was offering a used green Magni fairing on their web site. I immediately bought it (and it was *much* cheaper than Moto-Italiano's one) and got it shipped to Moto-Italiano who used the brackets from that kit to finish the set-up.

In the end I think that M-I has the P-I parts, minus the brackets, while I have the old M-I fairing with the P-I brackets. So M-I is still missing the brackets in their kit. (These are the brackets that attach the fairing to the cylinder heads.)

Oh well, who cares I guess. I love that fairing, it fits the bike real well.

I liked the look of your bike without the hugger, I'll try to remove mine this week-end. It's just a 'bolt-off' operation I assume?

Matthieu

Matthieu,

I did see that lonely Magni fairing sitting up across from the Magni bike and it did cross my mind about trying it out.

The rear hugger is just a bolt on item, I noticed that the Guzzi 1100i had the naked rear swingarm and liked the look.

Mike

Hello Mike and Matthieu,

I agree with you about the Magni fairing (expencive but really beautiful and correctly

designed).

On the other hand, withdrawing the rear hugger gives a better look but what about the shock

absorber ?

Sincerely, I think the stock mudguard is not a success as it leads dirt directly to the bottom

part of the shock absorber but I'm afraid that could be worse without it.

A solution should be to protect that zone with rubber sheet (used for repairing shoes) fixed

with plastic clamps.

Have you any idea about this point or do you ride only when the sun is shining ?

:D

Best Regards.

Pierre

Guest toutizes

Pierrot, tu as raison, c'est peut-etre un pb. {You're right Pierrot, it could be a problem.} But then, isn't it how the 1100i are set-up? Are you sure that getting water on the shock absorber would be bad? I mean, on most bikes shock absorbers are quite unprotected...

Re: riding in the rain, we alas did not get much choice this winter in the Bay Area (around San Francisco). It's been pouring and pouring, so we did not have much of a choice, and just got wet :-(

Matthieu