Brand new Ballabio doesn't want to start

scott54

Hello, I have 700 miles on my Ballabio and recently encountered a problem. After sitting for an hour or so, the electric starter won't fire up. It is as though I have the kill switch engaged or the clutch not pulled in. After several minutes of fiddling usually rolling the bike back and forth it fires up. My neutral light doesn't always work either. Are these two problems related? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

It could well be that they are related. In addition to the neutral switch (it's on the LH side of the tranny- look for one wire), there are a couple of failsafe switches to look at-

One on the clutch, one on the sidestand.

Will it start with the sidestand up/in neutral/clutch out?

What about sidestand up/in neutral/clutch in?

Another problematic area with earlier V11's was relays. They should be ok (I think???) with a later model like yours.

Hello, I have 700 miles on my Ballabio and recently encountered a problem. After sitting for an hour or so, the electric starter won't fire up. It is as though I have the kill switch engaged or the clutch not pulled in. After several minutes of fiddling usually rolling the bike back and forth it fires up. My neutral light doesn't always work either. Are these two problems related? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

92131[/snapback]

KNOW THE RULES :bier:

Check the two bullet connectors under the tank. They lead to the side stand kill switch.

92174[/snapback]

what about if I cant' start my bike with sidestand down, in neutral, and no neutral lights on. When I lift the stand, neutral light will still not be on but bike will start.

after a few kms, when the engine is warm, neutral light is on and bike will then start happily on the sidestand. Is that also related to relays ?

sometimes, this bike puzzles me :)

what about if I cant' start my bike with sidestand down, in neutral, and no neutral lights on. When I lift the stand, neutral light will still not be on but bike will start.

after a few kms, when the engine is warm, neutral light is on and bike will then start happily on the sidestand. Is that also related to relays ?

92178[/snapback]

That sounds about right.

With side stand down will only start in neutral , light needs to be on indicating switch working.

When the stand is up will start in any gear provided the clutch is pulled in, neutral switch doesn't effect the starting circuit

It sounds like you've a dicky neutral indicator switch, when warm sounds like the heat makes it work when cold it's not working so will only start with the sidestand up.

92178[/snapback]

[/quote

That is interesting, my bike will not start with the sidestand down period. Sidestand must be up and the clutch pulled in even if its in neutral! It does however seem to be consistant.

waspp

It's obviously buggerd. I'll give you a nifty for it and you can send it to Jon in LA on your dime. M-a-y-t-e-e! I'm doing you a favour!!!!

Pete, (Got some Tonti's, Got a Griso, Got an Eldo, (in bits!) needs a spiney on the cheap :grin: )

(PS doesn't need a Hi-Cam :P Sorry Paul :D )

Running in neutral requires the neutral switch on the gearbox to activate the middle relay.

No neutral indicator light suggests a bad connection to the switch ( easy, just behind the starter , clean it, crimp carefully, pack with dielectric grease) or a bad neutral switch ( easy , again it may be removed and cleaned, worst case - replaced).

Certainly the middle relay is suspect if the neutral indicator lights but the bike still won't run with the side stand down. Good news there is that the sidestand switch works.

Remember the 'sidestand safety relay' is activated by the neutral switch.