Oh save us! A tyre thread!

pete roper

Are there any other consistently top-rated tire manufacturer names to which Guzzis are somehow phobic and/or prejudiced with their hatred? :huh2:

This hatred of inanimate objects toward each other could be dangerous.  D'ya s'pose it's an ancient tribal rivalry?  Blood feud?  Hatfields and the McCoy's???  Is it an Italian thing that only Italians understand?

Enquiring minds just gotta know! . . . . . .  :grin:

Where's Antonio? :huh2:

94158[/snapback]

Here we go... I'm with ya Ratch but lay off the Italian stuff or I'll usa my wrench ona you :luigi:

The MetzelerZ6 & Pirelli Diablo Strada are built by the same parent company, focused on the same market, using the same materials, same technology and very similar profile & tread pattern. (this sounds vaguely familiar) Both are excellent tires for wet & dry street use. The Pirellis are a HUGE improvement over the stock Bridgestones on my V11 and the Z6s are better than the Z4s on my BMW. Both offer predictable handling, relatively long life and incredible wet grip.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:

The MetzelerZ6 & Pirelli Diablo Strada are built by the same parent company, focused on the same market, using the same materials,

I seriously doupt about the materials. I do believe they're different so is the bahaviour of the tire.In few months I'll be able to answer this by personal experience. Till than that's what I hear form magazines and people who sell them or tried them.(different behaviours of the tires)

I seriously doupt about the materials. I do believe they're different so is the bahaviour of the tire.In few months I'll be able to answer this by personal experience. Till than that's what I hear form magazines and people who sell them or tried them.(different behaviours of the tires)

94168[/snapback]

My last tires wer Pilot Road's and I found the rear tire skittish. The Diablo Strada's do not demonstrate this characteristic on my V-11. :huh2:

YMMV

I'm guessing all of the Scura owners out there will be aghast at my recommendation but my favorite rear tire I've used on my bike has been a Metzeler ME880. It sticks plenty good enough for me, is very predictable and I got over 10K miles out of my last one. As an experiment I tried a Diable Strada and it's wearing way too quickly for my taste. Once it's gone I think I'm going to be running 880's on the rear until they stop making them.

My 2 cents,

johnk

94168[/snapback]

Metzeler bought Pirelli. Moved manufacturing to Germany. I'm kinda thinking they share R&D also. Both tires have been developed for the sport touring market. Both boast long mileage, quick warm up, wet grip & handling, both tread patterns are similar. Why would they spend money to develop two different compounds with the same goal in mind, at the same time?

I suppose they may be different in more than just name and tread pattern, but it doesn't seem likely.

I have both tires albeit not on the same bike so a true comparison is not possible for me. They do seem to have similar characteristics though.

:2c:

I have always had excellent performance from Pirellis on the Guzzis I have owned.

Never persuaded myself to desert them. :wub:

Lets hear it for the Phantoms!!! :grin:

( Hmmm showing my age there! :blush: )

Nige. B)

Guest ratchethack
In the touring class the Z6 roadtec (according to Motorrad) beats the competors of this by far and is entering the "sport" tyres area.

Alex, many thanks for the link and the category translations! :notworthy:

I guess this makes me seem a little less like a foaming, blubbering berserker on the Metz Z6 - or maybe the same, but at least for independently verified (albeit German ;) ) reasons :blush: :

Kurven-Verhalten - Platzierung #1

Nasstest - Platzierung #2

Platzierung Gesamt - #1

AUSGEZEICHNET!!! :bier:

Aw, just get a set of Cheng Shen's and be done with it. :D

94172[/snapback]

Now yer talking! D'you reckon I could get some 'S' rated ones really cheap? Or better still unrated ones like wheelbarrow tyres! You can't put a price on quality :grin:

Pete

In the touring class the Z6 roadtec (according to Motorrad) beats the competors of this by far and is entering the "sport" tyres area.

TouringTyresResults

94166[/snapback]

But the Strada rules in the wet test :bier:

Thanks for the link

I am suprised the Pirelli and the Metzeler differed so much. :huh2:

Since I live in a pretty dry area, like Ratchet, the Metzeler Z6 is the better choice.

Alex, many thanks for the link and the category translations! :notworthy:

I guess this makes me seem a little less like a foaming, blubbering berserker on the Metz Z6 - or maybe the same, but at least for independently verified reasons :blush: :

Kurven-Verhalten - Platzierung #1

Nasstest - Platzierung #2

Platzierung Gesamt - #1

AUSGEZEICHNET!!! :bier:

94210[/snapback]

What is your opinion about the Z6s , you have tried them so far, I think , right?

This tyre has dominated the touring tyre tests from MOTORRAD since it first came out.

P.S. I forgot , yes the Z6 came in stock with the 1100Breva and the M1 was also first 'factory' tyre for the Cafe racer.

But the Strada rules in the wet test :bier:

Thanks for the link

I am suprised the Pirelli and the Metzeler differed so much. :huh2:

Since I live in a pretty dry area, like Ratchet, the Metzeler Z6 is the better choice.

Their differences in the wet are small according to that test.That to me is a just reliable guide, best test is , personally,on the road.

But then again the Sport Diablos(how many versions are there?) I have tested were quite disspointing (to me and the conditions I drive, and also as well, the 'older' Dragon GTS)

It is also shown here on the sport results. Should have listened to them ..lol. :bike:

Guest ratchethack
What is your opinion about the Z6s , you have  tried them so far, I think , right?

This tyre has dominated the touring tyre tests from MOTORRAD since  it first came out.

P.S. I forgot , yes the Z6 came in stock with the 1100Breva and the M1 was also first 'factory' tyre for the  Cafe racer.

94484[/snapback]

Alex, please see my response to Pete's opening post in this thread. It's post #2. :thumbsup:

Hello people,

Shame i can't read the link. Has anyone tried both the z6's and the pilot powers or pilot roads on the same bike?is there a big difference.I might try the z6's next time from the big RAP you fellows are giving them.

All very useful, thank you all.

I think I'll probably try a Z6 on the rear, as I've said often before, I ride like Gumby. The vast majority of the now available and quite superb 'Super-Sticky' rubber will be absolutely wasted on me and consequently a waste of money that could far easier be spent on something useful like beer or taking my darling Missus who allowed me, nay ENCOURAGED me to by the 'Pig, out for a good slap-up feed somewhere.

I live in a very, very dry climate. When I ride in the rain locally it's mainly to keep in practice! Honest! It's dry, dry, dry here, the road surfaces are crap, the other occupiers of the road, (I won't dignify them with the name 'Drivers'!) are bordering on the cretinous and if I get done for more than 30kph over the limit, (100KPH on 2-laners, 110KPH on freeways :bbblll: ) they will take my licence off me on the spot and if I'm more than 50kph over they take me to gaol! Why in God's name would I need a tyre that will stick like sh!t to a blanket with 150BHP going through it on an overweight, underpowered turd-box like my Griso? :huh2::grin: .

My prefference is always to stay with matched tyres but I'll be buggered if I'm going to chuck out the still useable front Rennsport and I'm always happy to have more 'sticky' on the front compared to the back. I'll go the Z6 on the rear and probably they'll both be up for renewal next time around and I'll probably ask again and cause another f@ck-fight :P .

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Pete