Oh save us! A tyre thread!

pete roper

slightly younger farts :P

OK, so 've got this 'ere Greaso. I've managed to shag the rear tyre in 3500Km and within the next 500 or so will be looking for a replacement. The Rennsports it came with are great in terms of grip and feel but, lets be honest, I'm a fat old git who doesn't need supersport compounds and anyway, Jude'll kill me if I have to fork out$280-ish for a new rear every 4,000km!

So, I went into the local tyre emporium today, (I don't do tyres as a rule, bugger all money in 'em and the shops in Canberra have lots of round black things on the shelf.)

Looking at slightly less *sporty* compounds I seem to have found;

Dunlop 'Sportsmax' *Qualifier*

Avon Viper AV60

Mitch. Pilot Road.

Metz. Sportec M1

Bridgestone BT 20R

Now, the Guzzi isn't very powerfull. It is though, heavy, especially with a great lard-bucket like me on it. I don't ride particularly hard but a lot of what I do is fairly mundane 2-lane work, (The Griso is a work hack, I use it to go into Canberra to do the 'Bearings and Bullsh!t' run for Graham and myself at least a couple of times a week.) but I do like to have a bit of fun when i think I can get away with it. This being the case I don't want something made of Bakelite but neither do I want something that I can hang out of the way just by pressing it on the ceiling and watching it stick! I'm quite willing to swap ultimate grip, (Which I'd hardly ever use because I ride like Gumby!) for a bit more life but I don't want a tyre that will skate around like a landed fish unless it's really hot.

The Greasio is my first fat tyred bike so I'm basically new to this. Given the similar power outputs and weights of the 'Pig' and a V11 it would seem sensible to ask you lot what to try and what to avoid. I know that tyres, (like oil :grin: ), are a very personal thing but perhaps I can be steered away from anything really awful that just doesn't work with a fat-arse air-cooled twin.

Pete

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Pete, as a dedicated and self-confessed Road Geez, having whinged on and on about how much I LOVED my Metzeler M1's for mountain road riding, I decided I had to know what, if anything, I'd be giving up in the way of that SUPERB grip and razor-sharp accuracy by "dropping down" to the Metz Z6 on the way to at least 50% improved mileage with the harder compound.

Well, the short answer is "Not too damn much" -- I simply LOVE these tires! I wear the rear all the way to the edges and it's as quick, neutral and accurate in the mountains as the M1's., and though I've slid both ends a few times and the limit is a tad sooner, they're every bit as controllable and predictable at the margins of grip as the M1's. Now I have no reason to "go back" to the M1's!! :wub: I've been delighted far beyond my imaginings in recent years by the quantum leaps in tire technology. This must be a "golden age" for motorcycle tires. . . .

Can you bring yourself to go with a "Sport/Touring" tire on y'er Griso?! WHY NOT???? I swear these things would've clobbered some racing rubber of a few decades ago. . . . OK -- maybe more'n a few decades ago -- but they'd 've kept a great grin on a racer's face and lasted a lot longer in the bargain!!!

Did I mention absolutely superb grip in the wet and sandy, marbly stuff??

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Pete,

See topic "Tyre preferences for 02 lemans" here + loads more views in other topics: search. It's all subjective stuff. Most modern tyres seem to work great. Only ones I've had were not good for me were BT020 it came with.

Slow steering/neutral/grippy tyre: Conti Sport Attack (less sporty=Road Attack) which are also CHEAP. Loads of people seem to like the Contis (I've only used the Sport version - incredibly neutral, relaxing handling, plenty grip. Seems to wear at same rate as equivalent Michelin which is much faster steering).

Why no Pirelli Diablo in your list? Good handling, predictable tyre, OK wear.

KB :sun:

Pete, as a dedicated and self-confessed Road Geez, having whinged on and on about how much I LOVED my Metzeler M1's for mountain road riding, I decided I had to know what, if anything, I'd be giving up in the way of that SUPERB grip and razor-sharp accuracy by "dropping down" to the Metz Z6 on the way to at least 50% improved mileage with the harder compound. 

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

94117[/snapback]

Exactly the same observation I have when shifting from my Diablo equip'd 900RR to my "now Diablo Strada" equip'd V-11 Sport.

Love 'em both!!

Funny thing, now that Metzler and Pirelli are owned by one company.....

Exactly the same observation I have when shifting from my Diablo equip'd 900RR to my "now Diablo Strada" equip'd V-11 Sport.

Love 'em both!!

94119[/snapback]

I too am very happy with the Diablo Strada.

I was worried they would not grip, but they seem to be as grippy as any of the marketed sportier sport touring tires.

If I was in a wet climate, I don't think there is a better tire than the Strada.

But the mileage will be the real test :grin:

Guest Rocker

Love 'em both!!

94119[/snapback]

Pete.

There's ABSOLUTELY NO contest.

MG's LURV Pirellis but strangely HATE Metzelers (despite being same Co. ownership).

Therefore, just fit a pair of Pirelli Diablo STRADAs (NOT the Intermediate OR Corsa

versions) for the very best compromise of cost, mileage and fun.

Good Luck.

Rockerob.

p.s. You're the first Yank I've heard who's moaning about cost - what has happened to the mighty $? How can you put a cost on pure pleasure? Wasn't it Bell helets who advertised, "IF YOU'VE GOT A $50 DOLLAR HEAD BUY A $50 LID?

p.s. You're the first Yank I've heard who's moaning about cost - what has happened to the mighty $? How can you put a cost on pure pleasure? Wasn't it Bell helets who advertised, "IF YOU'VE GOT A $50 DOLLAR HEAD BUY A $50 LID?

94133[/snapback]

Oh goody. It's a long time to November 5th. Just hang on a bit, Pete, till I get my camera.

Bell's adverts were $10. Must be inflation.

Guest scooterneal

:2c:

I have a Metzler on my V11 Basa and am happy with it. I get good mileage out of them.

OK, so 've got this 'ere Greaso. I've managed to shag the rear tyre in 3500Km and within the next 500 or so will be looking for a replacement. The Rennsports it came with are great in terms of grip and feel but, lets be honest, I'm a fat old git who doesn't need supersport compounds and anyway, Jude'll kill me if I have to fork out$280-ish for a new rear every 4,000km!

So, I went into the local tyre emporium today, (I don't do tyres as a rule, bugger all money in 'em and the shops in Canberra have lots of round black things on the shelf.)

Avon Viper AV60

Mitch. Pilot Road.

Metz. Sportec M1

Bridgestone BT 20R

Now, the Guzzi isn't very powerfull. It is though, heavy, especially with a great lard-bucket like me on it. I don't ride particularly hard but a lot of what I do is fairly mundane 2-lane work, (The Griso is a work hack, I use it to go into Canberra to do the 'Bearings and Bullsh!t' run for Graham and myself at least a couple of times a week.) but I do like to have a bit of fun when i think I can get away with it. This being the case I don't want something made of Bakelite but neither do I want something that I can hang out of the way just by pressing it on the ceiling and watching it stick! I'm quite willing to swap ultimate grip, (Which I'd hardly ever use because I ride like Gumby!) for a bit more life but I don't want a tyre that will skate around like a landed fish unless it's really hot.

The Greasio is my first fat tyred bike so I'm basically new to this. Given the similar power outputs and weights of the 'Pig' and a V11 it would seem sensible to ask you lot what to try and what to avoid. I know that tyres, (like oil :grin: ), are a very personal thing but perhaps I can be steered away from anything really awful that just doesn't work with a fat-arse air-cooled twin.

Pete

94115[/snapback]

Oh goody.  It's a long time to November 5th.  Just hang on a bit, Pete, till I get my camera.

94135[/snapback]

Oh thou bitter, bitter cynic? How could you posibly imagine that I would get even the teensy-weensy bit upset about being called a Yank :P:grin::grin::grin:

Despite what our prime minister is trying to achieve we aren't *yet* the 55th state of the USA. :moon:

Pete

Pete.

MG's LURV Pirellis but strangely HATE Metzelers (despite being same Co. ownership).

94133[/snapback]

I have metzeler m1,s and have to agree with ratchethack, soon as they both need replacing i am sticking on a pair of metzeler roadtec z6,s get some more mileage out of them.

Thanks everyone. This really does help.

Yes, tyres are totally subjective but I'm realistic enough to know that absolute #1, 100% *sport* rubber is wasted on 95% of the people who buy it and it would be infinitely more wasted on me!

I have NEVER, prior to my 'Vert, bought dedicated *touring* rubber for anything I've owned. Admittedly the *fattest* tyre I've fitted to a bike of my own up to now is a 120/90 :grin: but I was able to pill those up OK with the new compounds, even in a shi*ty old crossply. My feeling is I'll be perfectly OK, and will never reach the limits of a 'Sports/Touring' type tyre. Remember that where I live it hardly ever rains, Sometimes I go out in the rain just to keep in practice!!! Honest! Look at your maps if you don't believe me. It never rains here! In Winter it is bloody cold, but by mid-day it's in the teens centigrade and the road surface in the sun will be warm enough. In summer it gets absurdly hot! I was thinking this afternoon that if it had been summer I could probably of trowelled the Rennsport rear in an afternoon without trying at all!!!!

OK, I'll go and make a pest of myself at Joe's next week with my loose wheel. Any advice on BAD combinations to avoid with the still comparatively un-worn front? As I said I do a lot of boring stuff with not a lot of braking so fronts *do* last longer, although I've got it all the way to the edge too :mg::thumbsup:

Pete

Oh thou bitter, bitter cynic? How could you posibly imagine that I would get even the teensy-weensy bit upset about being called a Yank :P  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Despite what our prime minister is trying to achieve we aren't *yet* the 55th state of the USA. :moon:

Pete

94144[/snapback]

Cynical? Moi? Perish the thought.

Anyway, _we're_ first in line to join up, if old poodleface has his way.

Pete,

Just to confuse the issue and bringing it all back home to Oz abit. 3 of us now in Kempsey have put on Michelin Pilots at a similar time, 2x MG's V11 and a Cagiva Raptor and we are all pretty happy with grip and wear in Ozzie conditions.

So far the Scura has about 7K and my Rosso Mandello much the same and still have more than adequate tread left. We are using Pilot Road rear and Pilot Sport front and seems to be a good combo.

More than happy and the price is not too bad.

Guest ratchethack
There's ABSOLUTELY NO contest.

A most curious comment, Rocker. Strange indeed - and ABSOLUTELY no contest, you say! Especially strange since many of the Metz and Pirelli models now share the same engineering, manufacturing, carcass components, and compounds! I assume y'er referring to every product with the Metzeler name on it and every product with the Guzzi name on it, and every Guzzi that left the Mandello works (including mine) with Metzeler tires on it, and every set of Metzeler tires it's had on it since (that'd be every one -- MEZ4, M1, and Z6)?!?!?!

Are there any other consistently top-rated tire manufacturer names to which Guzzis are somehow phobic and/or prejudiced with their hatred, or is it just a general, overall, across-the-board Guzzi-Metzeler "incompatibility" like oil and water? :huh2:

This hatred of inanimate objects toward each other by name could be dangerous. Can Guzzis spontaneously crash or catch on fire and expire when you put Metzelers on 'em the same way that a kidney transplant patient can reject an incompatible donor kidney and then assume room temperature as a result?!? :o

So many questions -- What is it about Guzzis that compels them to hate tires that so many other marques seem to do so well with??

D'ya s'pose it's an ancient tribal rivalry? Blood feud? Hatfields and McCoy's??? Is it an Italian thing that only Italians understand?

Enquiring minds just gotta know! . . . . . . :grin:

Where's Antonio? :huh2:

Avon Viper AV60

Mitch. Pilot Road.

Metz. Sportec M1

Bridgestone BT 20R

Pete

It all depends on where and how you ride and what you want .

The M1 is an excelling tire have tried it myself , but now Metzeler has made the M3 that get warmer quicker BUT retains a stable temprature , unlike the M1 that can get too warm.

The rubber material is different and Metzeler claims an up to 30% more kms than the M1 (always with better grip) Both in dry and wet.

About the grip this is also confirmed in the German Motorrad magazine and their critics on tires were always very true to me in real life conditions.

TEST

Metzeler catalogue.

RESULTS

http://www.metzelermoto.de./media/me_flyer_1.pdf

Actually the rennsport isn't at all recomended for the wet (it is a dry track tyre)and not the best option for the street.

In the touring class the Z6 roadtec (according to Motorrad) beats the competors of this by far and is entering the "sport" tyres area.

TouringTyresResults

Explanation

Handlichkeit=Handling

Lenkprazision=Steering presision

Haltung Kurven= Grip-hold in the turns

Haftung Beschleunigung= Grip in acceleration

Kurvenstabilitaet= Stabiliti inside a turn.

Grenzbereichverhalten=Behaviour at the limits of the tire

Aufstellmoment= behaviour of the motorcycle inside a turn when in brakes

Nusstest = Wet test.

Have not tried them but is my next pair. (along with the M3)

After my unhappy experiences with Pirelli :2c: Michelin and Metzeler make the best motorcycle tyres perhaps you don't have to look any further.