Problem is the US trade deficit is already huge enough and US automakers only know how to make 12 mpg monster trucks.....

They wouldn't be making them if people weren't lining up for them. I've read that the only vehicles that GM is making money on are the Hummers. Chrysler can't keep Hemi powered cars on the lot. Nevermind that my Guzzi engine is closer to being a Hemi engine than what they are calling "Hemi".

The Americans see their car as status symbols. Bigger is better - and better still if you can tell the world that you can afford a 10mpg vehicle. Sales of Cadillac's behemoth SUV for eg. And the Hummer. Every rock/movie/sports star buys one of the two immediately on signing their first big contract. The car is a symbol of success in the US.

People buy what they want (or are told they want) and vehicle manufacturers build what they can sell.

Rj

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Winning = killing them all because if you kill my cousin, brother, mother, father

I'm going to kill you back. This is NOT what Jesus had in mind. Or Buddah, or Ghandi

or Mohamed or the Great White Buffalo.

1. Perhaps someone else("God") had,... :huh2: , just a thought.

2.Oil "crisis" is on benefit of all who have it ("friends" or "foes"), so it is on their interest to let it or make it like this with the price raising, that's simple. With the expence of cource of people getting killed (any side) and that's shamefull ,so we go back to no.1.

I want a Subaru STI partly for the all wheel drive partly because its a phallilc symbol, I need to make up for my small manhood. The car gets 18 if you punch it but 25 if you're nice. I like the looks and for the money can't beat the performance.

In Europe, we are responsible about such matters. You colonials should be ashamed!

"We Colonials" who are in the know would sooner have our

testicles smashed flat with a wooden mallet than be

cursed with a Jaguar.

Italian bikes, German cars, for me please.

Make my living on both.

English cars have been banished.

Not because our mechanics could not make a living off them. Hardly.

Rather, because the turds would not stay fixed long enough to go home

without something else breaking.

In Europe, we are responsible about such matters. You colonials should be ashamed!

:D

My first car was a 14 year old 1968 XJ6 2.8. It drank me out of house and home, you could see the petrol gauge move. I could only keep it on the road for a year and then went back to motorcycles

"We Colonials" who are in the know would sooner have our

testicles smashed flat with a wooden mallet than be

cursed with a Jaguar.

:D

My first car was a 14 year old 1968 XJ6 2.8. It drank me out of house and home, you could see the petrol gauge move. I could only keep it on the road for a year and then went back to motorcycles

Oh dear!

I've never had my testicles smashed flat with a wooden mallet, although ownership of an elderly Audi 100 some years ago must have been a close experience in terms of pain.

I have to admit that my Jag was built after Ford management made them sort of reliable. It does do 27mpg on a good day [4.0 litre six], and it seems to be a good one [i.e. mechanically OK even if the electrics throw a wobbly now and again and bits of trim occasionally fall off]. Ownership of Italian bikes tells you I have masochistic tendencies. At the end of the day, I just like driving it, I didn't pay too much for it, and I don't take it too seriously..........my serious car is an old FIAT :(

:2c: i'm sure that testicle thing would hurt..have fond memories of hitching ride home with english teacher at 12 years..he would allways pull the magic ton for me and me mate along straight near home. we were impressed with doing 100 mph and how smooth the ride was. it was in the 60's[ and the average car of that time was less than impressive. :blush: we allways loved getting a lift in his jaguar straight six. :grin: quote name='Frenchbob' date='Jul 29 2006, 08:27 PM' post='96408]

Oh dear!

I've never had my testicles smashed flat with a wooden mallet, although ownership of an elderly Audi 100 some years ago must have been a close experience in terms of pain.

I have to admit that my Jag was built after Ford management made them sort of reliable. It does do 27mpg on a good day [4.0 litre six], and it seems to be a good one [i.e. mechanically OK even if the electrics throw a wobbly now and again and bits of trim occasionally fall off]. Ownership of Italian bikes tells you I have masochistic tendencies. At the end of the day, I just like driving it, I didn't pay too much for it, and I don't take it too seriously..........my serious car is an old FIAT :(

• 3 weeks later...

Man, that's so old! You are making me laugh. At least we don't allow men in black face masks march about the streets like last week in --------- [non disclosed Europe].

Getting back to responsibility, I drive around in a big 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, with a gun rack in the back window [they don't allow guns in the back window any more here, so I've got my big salt chuck fishing rod] , and the thing burns fuel happily. I've had it on propane [LPG for you non-colonialists] for 15 yrs, you know the stuff you cook your food on in the bbq. I'd say thats pretty responsible!! You've melted more polar ice cap than me with your little FIT, I mean Fiat!!

Ciao, Steve G.

Good one, David.

Re LPG, a mate of mine runs his Lada 4X4 on it. He reasons that when it goes bang, he'll have made up the purchase price in what he saved on fuel.

Steve, I missed the men in black face masks, but I don't normally keep up to date with where the rubber fetish conventions are [we Euros are so degenerate, aren't we?]. The FIAT, by the way, is referred to in this household as the FART, not the FIT. Fit it isn't: the gearbox broke this week :angry:

No point in taking sides as eventually, anyone will take their own side and try to kill you. I have a friend who is a survivor of the Israeli attempt to sink a U.S. Navy ship (USS Liberty) in 1967. That's then. Now, it's someone else. Next week, or year, or whatever, it'll be yet another disgruntled party that may or not be a friend at present.