Kick Stand Mishap

I left Bella (2001 V11s) at the dealer for a week for a tune-up and a PCIII software upgrade. When I got it back, the bike performed amazingly. The software upgrade ($280 at Orange County Motorsport) is a definite must for all PCIII owners. The dealer also found that I had a bad neutral switch but he was out of stock so they had to order it. I rode it back to work that same day. I was in my parking space smiling ear to ear when I made the dumbest motorcycle mistake ever. I kicked my stand out but forgot to check if the stand was completely down. Well, you all know what happened next, the bike was on top of me. I was so angry with myself that I didn't realized that I had already picked it up. The bike had a left broken mirror, broken left signal, a little scuffing on the cylinder guard. I guess the bike was mostly resting on me. Now I'm deciding if I should go for after market mirrors and turn signals or just go back to stock. The dealers in my area did not have either of these items in stock. I was quoted $43 for the left signal. I called Buell and they quoted me $12 each but they did not have it in stock. I'm thinking of getting Napoleon's mirrors and mounting them up top or slimmer rectangular mirrors like the ones that are on the mgcycle.com web site. Please help me decide. If anybody have these items because they upgraded, please sell it to me because the dealer will not have it for at least 3 weeks. :angry::(:blush::luigi:

:( ...sorry to hear about the accident. I think we've all done similar at some point.

At least all the broken bits are cosmetic, and easily replaced :thumbsup:

Good luck finding the parts. I'm sure you'll come across some online, etc without too much trouble. Remember that the turn signals can be had at your local HD/Buell dealer. Much cheaper, and much faster B)

al

Having broken several clutch and/or brake levers on spine frame Guzzi's I can tell you that yes, they're expensive. Unreasonably so. Try motostrano.com sells a variety of clutch levers as do several other dealers.

If you just broke the lens, I have spares. Because I already did the same thing and switched to the Buell lenses.

Guest toutizes

> [clutch lever $150 -- Was that CAN$]

And I thought moto-Italiano was expensive... My clutch lever "only" cost me US$ 107 there. Thanks for the motostrano link, next time I'll look around on my own a bit more..

Matthieu

Here's a tip. There is an excellent welder down the road from me. He's tig welded aluminum levers for me before on my dirt bikes and they have never broken off at the weld. He even shot a coat of black paint on some of them and you can't see the weld at all. $20 is what he charged per lever. Anything made of aluminum that I own I take to him now if it's broken.

Sorry to hear of your mishap :o .

I would use the opportunity to upgrade if that may be your future intention anyway.

I have CRG mirrors on my V11 Sport which are very nice. They can be purchased already machined to your stock bar-end weights and are foldabel for lane splitting. Cosmetically thay are beautiful and visually integrate with the speedo and tach gauges. I love em.

Napoleons have a differnt look, which I think is also very nice, but I dont think they have the quality of the CRG's.

I replaced my stock t-signals with Lockhart Phillips bullet units. It took a bit of finicking with an adapter but was (IMHO) worth the effort.

I photo of these mods is on this site somewhere, 24/7 I think under "Powder Coated Gold Wheels".

Since Ive made these replacements I have the stock units. Stand by for a "PM".

I have used the CRG mirrors for about 1000 miles. They are the best looking mirror out there. But you give up a few things for those looks. The mirrors are about 3 inch. in diameter and are really convex. Everything looks way far away but in real life they are pretty close. It was just hard for me to use them in heavy traffic. Seeing the Highway patrol in the vibrating 3 inch. mirror was also a pain.

I went with the Napoleon bar end mirror and modified them to bolt through the clutch/brake lever pivot. They run anywhere from $29. to $39. bucks. I would post a picture but my bike happens to be in the shop. I know of two other V11Sport owners that went the same way. Larger mirror and less convex makes for safe riding.

Mike

Guest Le Man

I had a set of Hindsights on my M900 Ducati and my impression is they will get you killed real quick. Everything looks so far away but is right beside you. I think, in Hindsights case, they were originally intended for bicycling but got picked up by crotch rocket guys for the clean look.

Mike

About levers, they are the same on Ducati (same supplier : Brembo) and twice cheaper in

France ; maybe you should check if it's the same over the Atlantic.

Though I hope you won't need it, it is the same for footrest, rear light,...

Just one more thing, take a few minutes to withdraw the spark-plug on the damaged side; it may

has hit the ground and can be damaged inside. It happenned to me once and the bike then

was working on one cylinder sometimes( the upper end, under the cap, was twisted and maybe a

crack began to grow up after the bike fell down.

Good luck.

Pierre