Cheap Crap Guzzi Electrics and Fasteners

Enzo

Look, you can't be faster on the Krypto because if you never out-ride your eyes, the top speed on any corner will be the same on either bike , unless you have different eyes you pop in when riding the Krypto.

As for staying with the so-cal boys, the guys on the Jackals and Calis would leave you for dead, even on the Krypto.

No wagon here. I was sipping a beer as I finished smoking 40lbs. of pork butts over alder wood. Both were daaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnn goooooooddddd!!!

If you want this to end, stop besmirching my name. Pretend I do not exist, and I will extend you the same courtesy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ook, you can't be faster on the Krypto because if you never out-ride your eyes, the top speed on any corner will be the same on either bike , unless you have different eyes you pop in when riding the Krypto.

I don't understand this at all. The Guzzi will only travel as fast as it's chassis will allow. One of the great things on the RC51 is that it's chassis is much more stable in bumps. Cornering is easier and you carry more speed. Besides, if I am looking down a long wide straight piece of tarmac, the Krypto will eat it up much faster than the Guzz. To think that some fools on Jackals would beat me on the Krypto in a fair collection of twists, climbs and straights is just too funny. One good straight section and they would never see me again. Come on. You sound silly in the noggin.

Look, you can't be faster on the Krypto because if you never out-ride your eyes, the top speed on any corner will be the same on either bike , unless you have different eyes you pop in when riding the Krypto.

As for staying with the so-cal boys, the guys on the Jackals and Calis would leave you for dead, even on the Krypto.

Some of the So-Cal boys are pretty talented.

I am about the slowest of anyone around here.

The last time I passed a So-Cal Guzzi Boy it was a side hack.

There are all levels of rider around here.

The best have 20-10 vision (possibly X-ray around the corners) and can probably ride faster in the rain than I can on a dry road.

Here is an amusing but sad(there was a crash) post and good example of what happens if you try to keep up with a young So-Cal Geezer, and get in over your head after thinking that a Jackal with V11S engine, Wilbers Shocks, and expert rider is a Harley Davidson cruiser :doh:

http://p209.ezboard.com/fsocalguzzifrm2.sh...opicID=69.topic

I can believe it- the Jackal is a great underrated bike- Tonti frame, punchy motor (especially when allowed to breathe) and less fuss and weight than the EV models.

I used to regularly take mine on ride outs with friends on Jap sports bikes and those who did not know the Jackal used to say things like "Don't worry- we will wait for you" or something similar.

What surprised them was its cornering ability, bearing in mind it is a cruiser, plus the grunt exiting bends where they were revving the balls off their Jap fours to stay in touch. The only worry was ground clearance- eventually the footrest rubbers would grind down.

Obviously on a long straight the Jap guys would breeze past and a good rider on a sports bike was still faster round the bends but it opened up a lot of people's eyes, and created an interest in Guzzis similar to the thread mentioned in David's post.

Moto Guzzi- always the underdog :mg:

One last time. You said you never out-ride your eyes. You have just one set of eyes, yes? And if my Eldo can manage a certain cornering speed, your Cobra can, and by extension the Krypto can, yes? So, if your eyes are what limit your speed to less than what you consider my "unsafe" riding speed on the Eldo, then those very same eyes would limit your speed on the Krypto to less than that same "unsafe" speed I can very easily manage on my Eldo. Follow? Therefore, you would still be slower on the Krypto than I am on the Eldo. Yes? Or maybe your eyes really aren't what limits your speed?

As for the SoCal boys, yes, you could keep up on a wide-open road where you could see for miles and miles and miles. So could any dope on a fast bike. They ride twisty, real-life canyon roads where you can't see for miles and miles and miles. They ride fast in the corners, not on the straights. On that same Eldo, I would be full-on sliding both ends at near twice my sport-touring velocity to keep up with RacerX and Rich R and company. If you're puckering up at my Eldo's sport touring speed, you'd have a coronary following those boys. Seriously, you'd be humbled, even more so on the Krypto than on the Cobra because you'd have to acknowledge that the differences in speeds is due only to differences in skill.

If your eyes really are the problem, see a better optometrist. If I twist his arm (and I do), mine will spend the time with me to correct my vision to 20/10. Then, get good lenses. That is time and money well-spent. You can recognize cop cars at great distances, and pick out a deer's ear or nose from the foliage or more instantly recognize rocks and potholes on the road. See Dr. Louie at Eyes on Fremont. He is very good. Not everyone's eyes can be corrected to 20/10, but it is worth the effort to try. 20/10 vision is as much an advantage to a street rider as it is to a fighter pilot. Hell, it helps everyday in many regards, even when driving a car or sightseeing or hunting or whatever.

...If your eyes really are the problem, see a better optometrist. ...

I'm guessing you know what he means - but...A safe speed is the speed where you can safely stop in the distance you can see to be clear. This is usually the limiting factor on most twisty roads & yes the limit is similar whatever bike you are on. Who rides at a safe speed?

A good rider on most any modern sportsbike could easily accomplish a pace far faster than what is remotely "safe" on most of the roads I ride. Sure there are differences in bikes' abilities, but most often on any twisty road, given two fast, competent riders, it is self preservation & the safety of others that limits speed & therefore the difference between them. Two good riders of equal ability will mostly turn up at the pub together, whatever they're riding. Racing is best left to the racetrack.

Any fool can go out to a long straight & ride as fast as the bike will go - all that proves is who's got the fastest bike, & says nothing about rider ability.

Enzo - A question: Have you ever been on a racetrack & measured yourself against good riders in a controlled environment?

KB :sun:

Some of the So-Cal boys are pretty talented.

I am about the slowest of anyone around here.

The last time I passed a So-Cal Guzzi Boy it was a side hack.

There are all levels of rider around here.

The best have 20-10 vision (possibly X-ray around the corners) and can probably ride faster in the rain than I can on a dry road.

Here is an amusing but sad(there was a crash) post and good example of what happens if you try to keep up with a young So-Cal Geezer, and get in over your head after thinking that a Jackal with V11S engine, Wilbers Shocks, and expert rider is a Harley Davidson cruiser :doh:

I can't speak for the Sol Cal guys, but I've been priveleged to ride a few times with the Sunday Morning Guys, Golden Gate Bridge to Pt Reyes Station, north of San Fran. Very eye opening experience, very high levels of skill, AND, 0 % held back for those unexpected things we see all the time, like cars backing out of driveways, animals, lawn sprinklers on the road, etc. Hence the high level of injuries, and the high level of police presence.

Essentially, except for obvious mechanical differences [Vespa vs ZX10] , it's always the rider skill who decides such situations. A perfect example last weekend, during vintage racing at the local roadrace track. My brother on his thourally shagged CBX, easily kept everyone else [including hopped up Tonti Guzzis] way in the back, 'in the corners', not on the straights, where he purposely shut it down to let them catch up, and once into the tristy bits, left them virtually standing. Everyone should know that the early CBX is probably the worst handling bike of the modern age.

Greg should take on Mr. Nemo and his RC 51. That sound like an even match.

Ciao, Steve G.

Well, I think there are two types of 'twisties.' Let's assume the surface is dry and clear, visibility is good and there is no presence of driveways etc. Here is where I can ride very well and go reasonably fast. It is also here that the Honda WILL go faster. I'm somewhat limited by the Guzzi which is a bit squirelly in such places. The Honda gives more confidence. It is FAR more apparent when the road is not smooth.

Now, there is another sort of twisty - one in which a good part of the corner is blind; it is crowed by trees and brush; the road surface is funky or in shade and possible moss; there are driveways in the area; there is a good possibility of deer. the road is narrow etc. etc. I don't like riding in such twisties. I certainly don't try to ride fast. I will follow at a safe distance in such places to allow the lead fool to meet the deer or drunk pick-up truck. People who pride themselves on going fast in such places are just fools.

Baldini: I spent a 'track day' once with Keith Code. Maybe you have heard of him. We spent the whole day at Mid Ohio with race-prepped 600s. There were about 40 guys in attendance - all of them experienced riders who had money and desire to improve racing skills. When we were let go, I always seemed to be in the middle of the pack. Not the fastest, not the slowest. I didn't have the skills for heavy knee-dragging corners or late breaking from 145 mph down to 35 going into a sharp off-camber right-hander after the straight there. Such superior race-trained riders will always be faster than me. However, I am capable of learning those skills if I had the time and money for many track days (and a bike I didn't mind throwing away).

So, yes, there are riders like that out there. I just don't meet many of them in the real world. Some of them REFUSE to ride on the street. They say it is too dangerous!!

Yes, when Enzo falls behind, it's the road's fault.

How dare the trees and moss to grow where he will ride, and how dare the sun put shadows in his path?

But, in the mythical land of perfect roads, where there are no shadows but endless sight lines around every curve, he can pass anyone at will on the mighty Cobra. Oh, yes, don't doubt it.

Dr. Field prescribes for you a nice set of slippers and an "Enzo replica" rocking chair, so you can enjoy endless re-runs of American Chopper, American Idol, and NASCAR races (soon to feature Valentino "Bubba" Rossi in the Tampax-sponsored #69 Ford) on your "Enzo replica" plazmatic TV; secure in this idealized Enzo-world, you definitely can pass me at will.

Heh. I've ridden w/ Todd down Palomar way. I was having the best day of riding ever, even tho' the roads were a little slick [snow melt runoff] here & there. Now, I'm slow, but I was by no means the slowest of our group, & riding my SV650 [this was several years ago now.] Todd flew past me mid-corner on his Jackal (this was when it was still mostly stock, except for his "modified" footpegs[1]) like I was standing still! I wicked it up a bit to follow him, & hung with him for a few corners, & learned a little by following his lines, but decided I'd rather back off to my usual pace & live longer... ;)

Fortunately, I don't have any misplaced machismo when it comes to riding: I know I'm slow, & have nothing to prove on that score! :grin:

Still love those S.D. county roads, too bad there's too many cages on'em these days!

[1] "Modified" by grinding down the ends on the pavement!

Guest ratchethack

Heh. I've ridden w/ Todd down Palomar way. I was having the best day of riding ever, even tho' the roads were a little slick [snow melt runoff] here & there. Now, I'm slow, but I was by no means the slowest of our group, & riding my SV650 [this was several years ago now.] Todd flew past me mid-corner on his Jackal (this was when it was still mostly stock, except for his "modified" footpegs[1]) like I was standing still! I wicked it up a bit to follow him, & hung with him for a few corners, & learned a little by following his lines, but decided I'd rather back off to my usual pace & live longer... ;)

Fortunately, I don't have any misplaced machismo when it comes to riding: I know I'm slow, & have nothing to prove on that score! :grin:

Still love those S.D. county roads, too bad there's too many cages on'em these days!

[1] "Modified" by grinding down the ends on the pavement!

I'm with you, Skeeve. I've been invited to ride with Todd and Richard R. many times, including Palomar, which is my "standby" favorite weekend run for breakfast or lunch at "Mom's" (via the eastern ascent). But again, Momma dinnae raise no dummies -- and only one that turned out to be a Road Geez. :blush: Discretion being the better part of valor, so far I've always let the boys get out of sight before I start, lest I be tempted beyond my ability to resist and get in way over me head. . . . -_- Strangely enough, once they're outta sight, I never see 'em again. . . . . :huh2::race:

Here's a link to 2 shots of Todd's pegs before they got substantially more ground down:

Click here for details http://www.guzzitech.com/Todd-Pegs.html

BTW - if you get up and out there early like I do, even on the weekends you still have a pretty good shot at unobstructed mountain riding throughout San Diego County back country. :wub::whistle:

Agent Field, these are not fantasy worlds. There are good sight lines and there are bad ones. We hit plenty of both when we are riding all day at a place like MSH. The way you can tell if we have hit good site lines is when you are looking at the back rear of my Dunlop Qualifier - that is if I'm still in sight. Take the road to Trout Lake, that is a good example of me having time to relieve myself before you pull up.

Whew.

Scary thing just happened as I read this thread:

"3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users) 3 Members: Bill Hagan, Greg Field, Enzo"

Wasn't sure if I should duck and run, hit the floor and low crawl out, or try to mediate. :D

Hey, Dumas, I was riding a Stone on that leg, remember? Vance's Stone. A borrowed bike with outrigger-width forward footpegs. And I took off about fourth in the group. You did not pass me. Funny, I remember peeing last year, waiting for you, after Reen and I took off on that road. I was on my Eldo then.

And there's plenty of good sightlines between here and Ione. Hundreds of miles of them, in fact. You could go very fast then. But you know you'd lose anyway, so you will stay in the "Cobra Replica" rocking chair and fantasize that your silly "Monster Garage Replica" pipes will make you fast, while my Eldo chuckles knowingly.