Rainy GP – SUNNY AND FASTEST

Desperate to see that you have more expensive V.11 trouble John. Here, cheer yourself up and listen to the bikes on the radio. Big J, Guzzirider... if you want to listen to Saturday's UGP roadraces, you can get it through the BBC Radio Player HERE. It'll probably be available until Friday/Saturday.

On the Saturday Sportsound page, click on 'listen again'.

Knock it forwards to about 5mins for some introductory talk. The main Superbike race is at 12 minutes and after that, knock it on to 1 hour 15 for the Supersport 600, which sounds even more thrilling than the Superbike. The final Superbike is after 2 hours.

If you've got the time, I think you'll enjoy it. Whets the appetite for the moving pictures next Monday.

Dont get UTV here.Give us the nod if it's on BBC NI,I'm working mad hours just now and I'll get it taped.

I heard Robert Dunlop won the 125's,his two sons were second and third!!!

Further to the previous reply: a unique father and son 1 - 2?

" Historic 1-2 for Dunlop family

Robert Dunlop added the Dundrod 150 125cc win to his earlier North West 200 victory and it was a great day for the family with son Michael coming through to second on his Dundrod debut. Thought to be the first ever 1-2 for a father and son pairing, the race saw a terrific battle between Robert and Darran Lindsay but just when we thought we’d be in for a grandstand finish, the Lisburn man hit problems in the last third of the final lap and limped home in fifth.

Robert punched the air with delight when he crossed the line, as did Michael who was one of only three riders to break the 110mph barrier. He was involved in a three-man fight for the final podium position but was able to pull away in the final stages to claim second whilst Davy Lemon got the better of Ian Lougher for third."

• 3 weeks later...

More tragedy. One of Ulster's best-known road-racers, winner at UGP and former Irish Champion, Darran Lindsay was killed yesterday during practice for today's Killilane race in Co Dublin. Raymond Porter injured.

_42069218_darranlindsay203.jpg

What to do about Road Racing?

I think around 30 riders have been killed at the UGP.

Six years ago Darran said he would give it up as it's too dangerous.

See the story here and the links at the side to related pieces around the same time.

It's a very difficult subject.

The sport is a grassroots 'everyman' activity that is enthralling and thrilling. It's in the blood.

I admire the people who have worked so hard to keep road racing going and have improved safety to a huge extent.

But when I'm at a supporter's club stand and am asked do I want to join, I wonder would I be too closely supporting an activity that kills people and tears families apart.

Is it time for an era to close?

What to do about Road Racing?

I think around 30 riders have been killed at the UGP.

Six years ago Darran said he would give it up as it's too dangerous.

See the story here and the links at the side to related pieces around the same time.

It's a very difficult subject.

The sport is a grassroots 'everyman' activity that is enthralling and thrilling. It's in the blood.

I admire the people who have worked so hard to keep road racing going and have improved safety to a huge extent.

But when I'm at a supporter's club stand and am asked do I want to join, I wonder would I be too closely supporting an activity that kills people and tears families apart.

Is it time for an era to close?

I think that should be down to the riders. I watched the UGP on telly last week and it looked effing dangerous to me, but as long as there are riders who want to race then I think it will continue.

Maybe if there were some decent purpose built short circuits in Ireland things would be different. Imagine a Knockhill in the Antrim mountains, or maybe a scaled down Philip Island on the Donegal coast?

The romance would be finished but it would be a lot safer and still bring in the tourists.

Guy :helmet: