Ear Plugs

polebridge

I use ear plugs whenever I go out on the bike. Don't feel they interfere with any sense of what's happening around me. I have mild Tinitus - maybe I think from years of riding without. I just use cheap foam disposable ones but some fit better than others.

KB :sun:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't. I know that I should.

When I've tried them before I found that I'd be going a little bit quicker (FJ days) esp on the slab. I suppose it just takes a bit of time to adjust. I was one of the things i didn't like when doing my police advanced driving course. Big fast car and the only sensation was visual. I failed for speeding :( on test day.

A couple of years ago had to do a hearing test as part of a medical. Drove over to the centre, 13 miles it was a nice day so windows down on the car. My collegue and I both failed on the ear that was adjacent to our open window :D Re did it on a rainy day.

I have used hearing protection of different types for years, and have been dedicated to the cause since suffering a midrange hearing loss in one ear due to an occupational hazard. You don't know how important your hearing is until you lose a little piece of it. I typically carry "foamys" with me at all times in case I end up in a high noise environment--such as a movie theater, concert, slinging a hammer in the shop, lawnmower, and riding the MG. I will wear them sometimes on crosscounty in my 4wd to keep down the extra noise, and it makes a big difference in my hearing sensitivity upon arrival especially if I am engaged in something that requires peak hearing such as hunting. I have also worn them when working with other musicians that feel the need to "feel" the beat of their amplifiers. There is minimal degradation of what you actually "hear", but it makes a big dif in your long term hearing. k :2c:

I don't use ear plugs when I ride the Guzzi cause, 1) I want to hear the Guzzi music and 2).want to hear the enviroment and be in touch, while concentrated driving..-

Alex,

I'm a former professional drummer,and currently a professional television audio technician(Monday Night Football).

Please,Try this experiment,I have by accident.

1-Put in a cheap set of foam earplugs,make sure you put them in correctly.Roll the foam so it's small.Reach over over your head with your right hand,pull up your left ear,slip the plug in with your left hand till it's snug.This is important,Iv'e seen many guys not put them in incorrectly and not have a good ,snug fit.

2-Drive for about 30 mins to an hour in anything other than stop and go city traffic.

3-Pull over and take the earplugs out and take the return trip.

4-Be amazed at how much noise you expose your ears to.(Noise =Damage)

If you dont take the plugs out and drive right away it's hard to judge the difference.I think we just get used to it and don't notice .I saw a guy today on the street who was jackhammering without any ear protection.he probably just got used to the noise,but that does not mean his ears are not being damaged.

A lot of my musician friends have lost a significant amount of hearing by not using any protection.riding a bike you will be exposed to 100db+ levels just from wind noise not just exhaust:grin:

Ride safe,but always have fun!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eric123

I like the column type versus the tapered kind. I use alot of ear plugs when my band plays. It definitely saves the ear buzz in the long run. I find that the tapered ones don't quite fit so well, and a lot of them are very soft and pliable. The column type seem to completely fill the ear canal. Although I must admit, I haven't worn any when riding--I do like that Guzzi howl!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Also interesting artikle about helmet noice , here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...elmet-noise.htm

Yep , I'll have to agree that earplugs can help on LONG touring rides in high speed highways when traveling with over 130km/h for long distances.

IMO , In shorter speeds and on city or countryside, though ,enviromental noices can be usefull for me .

Upon the advice of another rider I consulted a local audiolist who otherwise makes hearing aids. For $100 they fitted me for a set of plugs.

I must say that this is the best $100 motorcycle accessory I've ever bought.

Upon the advice of another rider I consulted a local audiolist who otherwise makes hearing aids. For $100 they fitted me for a set of plugs.

I must say that this is the best $100 motorcycle accessory I've ever bought.

Docc, I completely agree (see my post on the 1st page), I've had mine for 3 years and can't imagine using anything else. The audiologist that I used Westone....do you know who your person went through? If you can, ask to keep your original molds as you can send them directly to the supplier for replacements instead of going back through the audiologist. I've also been tempted to get an additional pair with the headphones molded in....but they are pricy.

cheers

I saw this link on another website- looked interesting.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/...ind-blocker.htm

supposedly blocks low frequency wind buffetting- might be good in conjunction with ear plugs and it might be a pretty nice addition in winter... :huh2:

Years ago I used to a product called an apple warmer.

It worked great, but fogging was a problem.

But with daily anti-fog treatment, I guess it would not be so bad.

I think the product might not be available today because many motorcyclist are too vain.

The product you link to is much better looking than the Apple Warmer.

These days I just use ear plugs and a velcro on leather scarf, that blocks no wind noise.