QUAT_D Exhaust?

Greg Field

Another member here, OldButNotDead, posted his Quat-D vs Stucchi xover/Ferracci cans dyno chart here:

MG TI & QUAT-D COMPARISON, AGAIN

Here's his chart. The upper green & purple curves are for Stucchi/Ferracci combo, lower red & blue ones are for Quat-D if I understand his post correctly.

Dyno chart

Based on this I can't understand why anyone would go for a Quat over the available alternatives if they are interested in performance. :huh2:

Looks to me like Quat-D is for show, stucchi + cans for go! :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my version of the Quat-D (2nd iteration I think) to be disappointing on the dyno (vs Stucchi + Ferracci cans). I get a similar top end, but lower peak torque. I end up mostly riding about 6k rpm, ~1k higher than I used to. I like the Ferracci sound better, though this thing does make an interesting noise.

I think the Ghezzi site shows the first iteration system. I believe these had a left-hand outlet, clamps, and were prone to cracking. Mine has a right-hand outlet, removable cat, and is held together with springs. The current version on the Quat-D site looks a bit different, so it may be a third generation.

Riding "performance" integrates more than just engine output. I mainly bought the Quat-D to improve ground clearance, and it does that extremely well in left-handers. Right handers, not as much. Still, it's significantly better than with the Ferracci (low) can. It's the outlet that scrapes, and I have considered whacking it off, though the dyno guy suggested that might affect performance. After individual cylinder mapping, delivery is pretty linear.

Despite lower peak torque (which I do miss), I haven't taken it off to date. I have considered a barter for a MG titanium system, but am not sure I can bring myself to do it. It looks so much better to my eye this way and cans would strike me as colostomy bags at this point.

Unfortunately, I can also provide feedback on the system's crash durability - we lowsided (on the outlet side) at Mid-Ohio in September. Very short ride on the pavement before sliding into the dirt. Pretty durable, some rash and dents where the header joins the box, but I'm hoping an expander will pop most of these out.

Despite lower peak torque (which I do miss), I haven't taken it off to date. I have considered a barter for a MG titanium system, but am not sure I can bring myself to do it. It looks so much better to my eye this way and cans would strike me as colostomy bags at this point.

Unfortunately, I can also provide feedback on the system's crash durability - we lowsided (on the outlet side) at Mid-Ohio in September. Very short ride on the pavement before sliding into the dirt. Pretty durable, some rash and dents where the header joins the box, but I'm hoping an expander will pop most of these out.

Sorry for your crash there OBND, hope you weren't hurt. How did the rest of the bike fare? Since you would probably have destroyed a side mounted can in a lowside I guess the Quat-D proved itself more crash worthy.

Seems like high mounted set of cheap aftermarket cans would be good for track use rather than risk $1000+ MG Ti cans or expensive aftermarket cans if money is at all an issue. Ugly but effective? I remember someone posting that a buddy of his mounted low cost automotive "Cherry Bomb" type cans on his V11. He said they looked and sounded good but unfortunately never posted pictures.

Guest Mattress

Umm.......

Jaap, could you please clarify if you are referencing Euro models or all models? I don't believe U.S. models were equipped with catalytic converter(s) up to at least 2004. Instead the man :ninja: stuck us with charcoal cannister for vapors.

Anyway, why would it matter if he has a Cat on his original exhaust? Are euro ECU's using some type of sensor in there? If it were me, I would DTMFA in the scrap bin and install the Quat, if I wanted it.

Just to give you an impression of what you're missing if you don't own one:

Spit comin' low

The resemblence of the sound is uncanny :D

Saudade. :(

saudade =

"Saudade (pron. IPA [sɐu'ðað(ɨ)] in European Portuguese and Galician, and [sau'dadʒi] or [sau'daði] in Brazilian Portuguese) is a Portuguese word for a feeling of longing for something that one is fond of, which is gone, but might return in a distant future. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade