Moto Spezial sump installation (how to)

ArtD

Hi folks, I'm seriously thinking about putting one of the Moto-Spezial deep sumps on the Italia. And yes, I have DONE FORUM SEARCHES HERE AND READ THE THREADS ON THIS TOPIC!! :notworthy: If there is a step by step "how to" I missed it :homer: Here are my questions.....

1- Am I correct that the stock v11 "spacer plate" that contains the oil filter mount, oil cooler temperature relief valve, copper plumbing, etc gets removed when this sump is installed? All of the oil passages are then properly rounted by the new sump.....right?

2- The oil cooler lines get a plate or U- lines, etc that would allow oil to flow thru at all times, right?

3- what about the braided oil return line at the rear of the stock sump that goes to the frame? Does that get attached to the rear of the deep V sump in that threaded port?

4-What about the kickstand bracket? Am I right that I need to scrounge up one from a early 90s-Le Mans, I think- or fabricate somthing?

5- Do you then need a new dipstick, or do you use the stock one and fill it to the stock mark?

6- Does this pan come with any of the above answered in any sort of decent instructions (in English)?

7-What else do I need to know about this?

A couple of quick observations and musings :2c: Why wasn't somthing like this put on from the factory for the V11 series? Is the V11 oiling system supposed to be an improvement over, say, the California system? As to why I think that for me a Deep Sump might be an improvment, I live on the Washington Coast, literly 90+% of my riding is mountain curves, hills, neat stuff like that :race: If there is ANY truth to the oil starvation theories that have been kicked around here, I am in a riding enviorment to be getting it. The "death of a thousand cuts" would apply here, I think. Its pretty much always fairly mild here, I have a Temperature dipstick, even on summer days after a good ride its never been much over 80 degrees C, I think the oil cooler is simply decoration (and weight) around here. As a final thought, what I'm going to do is, if I do get this sump, I'm going to build a simple windage tray/baffle and put that on at the same time. I'm fairly certain that all of the above should solve any possible oiling problems, but I can't help but think that maybe I am missing somthing here that one of you guys can point out to me :homer: Or.......maybe not :)

Thanks Paul!!!! I think that once I get it and get going on it, most of it will be self explanitory :homer: BTW, I think that this http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/adapte...r_sandwich.html would enable the oil cooler to be used if one wanted to do so. Personally I think that the oil coolers on these bikes do absolutly nothing. Back a few years ago Circle Track Magazine tested oil coolers by putting 2 temperature guages, one before and one after varous oil coolers mounted on a stock car, and then track testing them. Most all of them did nothing. I can't see how that thing on the V11's not much bigger than a pack of smokes could do much either. I think the large fins on the new sump will do fine. Am I right about what to do aboutn the kickstand bracket? Use a 93-95 Daytona?

well I have the v11 sidestand bracket, for 3 years no problem. But the daytona one is more stable maybe( you need to change the whole thing). Only mounted way up front, you won't do it by foot, I used my hand.

That oilcooler adapters look great. It's a nice version of the racimex adapters. A v11 doesn't need an oilcooler. Mine does when in trafic jam @ summer.

it stands fine on the v11 stand with only the big screw:

dsc05911.jpg

well I have the v11 sidestand bracket, for 3 years no problem. But the daytona one is more stable maybe( you need to change the whole thing). Only mounted way up front, you won't do it by foot, I used my hand.

That oilcooler adapters look great. It's a nice version of the racimex adapters. A v11 doesn't need an oilcooler. Mine does when in trafic jam @ summer.

it stands fine on the v11 stand with only the big screw:

Your right, the one big bolt system seems to be fine! Think I'll go that route unless there is somthing that seems to be better leaping out when I start in on it.

dsc05911.jpg

I don't want to make a bike BOTM if the owner doesn't want to for whatever reason. If you want your bike tob BOTM you have submit it yourself!

yeah yeah, I want my bike for one, but I'm still tinkerin, I got a big idea in mind, none'ya steal it now patten pending :ninja:

you'll see, it'll be sweet. :whistle:

I got a big idea in mind, none'ya steal it now patten pending

you'll see, it'll be sweet. :whistle:

Is it anything like this?

Racing_Stripes_poster.JPG

...90+% of my riding is mountain curves, hills, neat stuff like that :race: If there is ANY truth to the oil starvation theories that have been kicked around here, I am in a riding enviorment to be getting it....

Keeping oil level up to max on stick or slightly higher seems to work. From reports I've seen of oil lights coming on, it seems only to be happening when level is down a bit.

KB :sun: